Talk

Advanced search

LONDON WITH 13 YR GIRL?????

(15 Posts)
hifi Wed 05-Aug-09 17:25:02

we have a visitor and although i live in london have no idea where would be suitable for the above. her only wish is to visit topshop. shes here for 6 days.

seeker Wed 05-Aug-09 17:28:35

On Sunday go to Shoreditch Market then the Sunday Up Market then lunch in Brick Lane. My 13 year old dd's idea of a brilliant day out!

Or Covent Garden.

Or the Imax Cinema on the Soutbank if money is no object!

hifi Wed 05-Aug-09 17:40:59

fab idea on shoreditch thanks.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Wed 05-Aug-09 17:50:06

I took DD (11) to Camden Lock recently - she's not the keenest shopper, but I remember thinking it'd be great for a girl a couple of years older.
We also saw Wicked, but I appreciate you won't necessarily be splashing out on a show.
Tate Modern might be nice, and a stroll along the South Bank.

hifi Wed 05-Aug-09 18:01:43

already thought of the tate, camden is just down the road. the days are filling fast!

seeker Wed 05-Aug-09 23:12:55

sorry sorry sorry - ridiculous typo!
I meant Spitalfields Market!!!!

KembleTwins Wed 05-Aug-09 23:15:20

When is she with you? It's London Theatre Kids Week from 14th-28th August, and you can get a free ticket for children up to 16 with every paying adult for a variety of west end shows.

babyOcho Wed 05-Aug-09 23:16:34

my nephew at that age loved going to covent garden and camden.

Yurtgirl Wed 05-Aug-09 23:16:38

Go to the Victoria and Albert museum and seek out the fashion collection
Also the exhibition about theatre and film - costumes from major theatrical productions etc

If she is arty take a sketch book - the fashion exhibition has tables and chairs for sitting down at to sketch

Yurtgirl Wed 05-Aug-09 23:21:55

Also go to the National Gallery or Portrait Gallery

Seek out a book or look at pictures online before you go - when you get there finding the ones you recognise is like ticking them off a shoppinglist!

I took my 7yo ds last year to both - and he LOVED both! He is a culture vulture
Even better with a 13yo IMHO

KembleTwins Wed 05-Aug-09 23:23:50

Get a Ghost Walks book and do one of them - I used to have Ghost Walks and Literary Walks, and did a lot of them when I was first living in London and penniless. Oh, and Science Museum is good - 13 yr old girl may turn her nose up at the idea, but I'd defy anyone to hate it.

hifi Thu 06-Aug-09 09:41:27

thanks everyone, going to pick her up at 1pm so will run them by her after.

MIFLAW Thu 06-Aug-09 09:46:48

Rock Circus at Trocadero? Like Madame Tussauds but (I think) free and with stars your average teen has actually heard of.

Brick Lane is great - 24 hour bagel shops really make you feel you're in London! (Ditto Bar Italia in Soho, if you can afford £6 for a latte ...) Also near Brick Lane is Sunday morning flower market in Columbia Road, which is a lot more fun than it sounds and attracts a few other market stalls too - then the tapas place just down the street for lunch.

Covent Garden great for a couple of hours - see the chainsaw jugglers!

lowrib Thu 06-Aug-09 09:52:08

Another vote for Camden - I loved it aged 13.

mumeeee Sun 09-Aug-09 18:44:50

Hares another vote for Camden all my DD's have been and they love it. Also what about London Zoo it's expensive but very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now