Talk

Advanced search

Isle of Wight - best places to visit?

(17 Posts)
iamwhoops Wed 22-Jul-09 11:14:42

We are hoping to go for a day out on the Isle of Wight next week, We've done Black Gang Chine before so were thinking of something different.
Also looking at options with and without a car as the crossing without a car is cheaper than taking the car

we have a 5 & 7 year old that get bored rather easily too!

Seeline Wed 22-Jul-09 12:16:21

No suggestions iamwhoops but will watch with interest. we've got 2 weeks in August and I'm assuming the 2 weeks in June was our summer so will need to entertain the kids lots!

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 22-Jul-09 12:18:33

Get the train from Ryde to the steam train station.
The trains are old tube trains and the stm train is a little small one. You can hop off and on again. walk along the cliff path from shanklin back to sandown. lovey sandy beaches.

madwomanintheattic Wed 22-Jul-09 12:19:23

mine just love the beach at shanklin, and robin hill. (mine are 5,7,9 - the squirrel tower is their favourite). take picnic and balls for games as there's a huge field you can play on after you've fed the really scary fish from the troll bridges. grin think there's falconry displays as well, but i might be thinking of somewhere else... <ponders>

madwomanintheattic Wed 22-Jul-09 12:21:00

oh, and grown-ups need to visit the garlic farm to taste freebies, have lunch, and purchase lots of delicious stuff to clutter up your store cupboards with.

madwomanintheattic Wed 22-Jul-09 12:24:09

don't, whatever you do, be tempted to drive to the multicoloured sands at the far end of the island.
my view may be tinted by the fact it was raining, one of the dcs was extremely car-sick, and when we got there, it was like the blackpool strip minus the lights. truly awful.

the kids loved the dinosaur stuff - loads to choose from - the ones you can dig about in and find bits of prehistoric bone and a few shark teeth are good lol. dinosaur farm? can't remember - there are loads anyway.

elvislives Wed 22-Jul-09 12:35:07

Robin Hill was very good for my 2 yo and 17 yo.

Flamingo Park was fantastic and all of us really enjoyed it.

Going without a car is hard because the bus is very expensive. The train only runs down one side of the island. If you go to Cowes as foot passengers you can walk (uphill) to Osborne House, which again we spent all day at.

Agree with madwoman that Alum Bay is no longer worth the trip. Most of the sands have gone and the cliffs are roped off for safety.

iamwhoops Wed 22-Jul-09 13:30:57

Thanks all
Will show dh and see what we will do

southeastastra Wed 22-Jul-09 13:34:09

where is the garlic farm?

PIL live on IoW so know it v well.
Dinosaur farm is great
Robin hill does have falconry
When you're on the ferry you'll be able to pick up brilliant what to do on island magazine with masses of ideas, beach descriptions, opening hours etc.
Ryde has an ice rink
Normally in high season, if you buy ticket for Black Gang Chine or Robin Hill you'll be able to go again during your visit for free
Amazon world in Sandown
don't forget The Needles
godshill is lovely (a miniature model village)
Must try Minghella ice cream - sensational flavours
garlic farm's in Arreton (inland)

also Carrisbrooke is great (take your english heritage membership) - they often run a live jousting day there

hocuspontas Wed 22-Jul-09 15:58:16

Unless you are being held at gunpoint or seriously don't want to go on living avoid Waltzing Waters at all costs grin

southeastastra Wed 22-Jul-09 16:29:12

rofl hocus, that looks like the most bizarre thing i've ever seen

elvislives Wed 22-Jul-09 18:54:37

We went to Amazon World. Great range of animals but cost us £20 for 2 adults and a child and we were out in 35 minutes!

woopycat Wed 22-Jul-09 22:37:02

dinosaur isle is good we have been there loads and at certain times they have beach walks with the paleontologist (fossil expert) very interesting, have fun,I love the Isle of Wight,I am so jealous (envy)

madwomanintheattic Thu 23-Jul-09 17:59:04

if you get really desperate and it's raining there's a soft play on the esplanade at shanklin too...
agree with carisbrooke smile - they do pretty good treasure hunt things there for the kids in the summer (following clues around the grounds) - dd2 won a year's english heritage entry there last year (they pick one entry a day/ week whatever), and they all got a moster gold coin for finishing it...

and we loooooove the model village in godshill - make sure you stop in one of the tea rooms and potter in the village too - just touristy stuff but worth an hour's wandering and a scone.

is amazon world the one where they have the tunnels under the exhibits, and then the kids can literally pop up in the middle of the cage?

there's a zoo too - with beautiful tigers, i vaguely recall....

lol at waltzing waters - i threaten dh with that if eh doesn't smile and buy ice creams.

when the tide is out there are just enough rock pools at the far end of shanklin beach to keep the kids amused for an hour or two. it's a bit of a trek along the sand, but worth it - mine found all sorts trapped. you can walk up the hill to see PLUTO in the chine too... (the pipeline under the ocean thing) it'll take about a minute but is quite a nice walk uphill through the chine. there are also stocks in there so you can pelt unpopular members of the group with whatever is to hand...

PixelHerder Fri 24-Jul-09 11:18:00

This site might be worth a look

Isle of Wight Parents

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now