Talk

Advanced search

Things to do in Cumbria area

(8 Posts)
MumHadEnough Sun 19-Jul-09 14:18:46

Hi All,

Off camping in Silloth next week and as the weather is looking to be crap, I'm after some recommendations for things to do in the area. Don't mind driving for a bit, oh and ds is 7 on the Monday we are there if that helps?

Thanks in advance!

nymphadora Sun 19-Jul-09 14:28:29

Cumbria isn't great for indoor things!
I don't really know the west coast that well and can't think of anything of hand
Indoor stuff tends to be smalll too so if you are going to drive anywhere make sure you have a couple of things in mind to do there.
Can't think of how far away you'll be from Penrith but Rheged is about the only place I can think of in Cumbria that will take a whole day!
Will have a think and get back to you

MumHadEnough Sun 19-Jul-09 14:29:50

Thanks Nymphadora, I really appreciate that.

Have already found Carlisle castle, but I suppose if its a day good enough to go to the Castle, ds would probably more enjoy treasure hunting on the beach hmm

Majorca Sun 19-Jul-09 14:31:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Muncaster Castle is worth a look.
Ravenglass Eskdale miniature railway.

MumHadEnough Sun 19-Jul-09 14:40:50

Great, thanks! grin. Might also drive down to blackpool for the day if we get really bored.

raspberrytart Wed 22-Jul-09 17:50:07

Theres lots to do
Allonby just down the coast from Silloth has great beach and dont forget a visit to ice cream shop for an Allonby Whopper!Actually really nice beaches most of the way down and also past seascale
Maryport Aquarium
Whinlatter Forest park nr Keswick
Grizedale Forest Park near Windermere
Tullie House Museum in Carlilse(opp castle)
Cars of the stars museum in Keswick
Walby farm Nr Carlisle
Trotters farm nr Keswick
Brockhole visitors centre nr windermere
The large lakes have ferries or you could hire a boat
I know some of thes are outdoors but have indoor bits to them
pencil museum is dull
There is also a climbing wall at keswick and you can hire bikes from the main tourist areas.

claret1980 Tue 04-Aug-09 12:26:57

Animal Park at Dalton in Furness, really good for the kids!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now