Talk

Advanced search

What are the "Must Do" things on a holiday in Cornwall with kids?

(14 Posts)
smilesandsun Sat 18-Jul-09 16:45:37

Hi,

I'm looking for a guide on where we should go on our holiday in Cornwall. We want to see as much as we can while we're there, but the focus is on keeping us all happy - happy kids = happy parents!

Also I don't know much about discount codes etc for entry into places (we're new to the uk). Any help in that area would be great too.

Thanks!!
smile

BeastQuest Sat 18-Jul-09 16:49:52

wear raincoats

llareggub Sat 18-Jul-09 16:52:33

How old are your children?

I have pre-schoolers and we stay on a farm, so usually feed animals in the morning and go to the beach in the afternoon after naps.

We usually go to the Eden Project too.

Where are you staying?

LIZS Sat 18-Jul-09 16:55:27

Get vouchers for the Newquay Aquarium for free kids etc, not worth paying full price as you'll spend an hour max there, packed if it is raining, and you may find them named on the ones you get in Smiths or teabags, or pick up leaflets from tourist information with coupons. The beaches are free at least! Eden project is worth a visit, Heligan possibly but ours didn't really enjoy it. Hire bikes to take along the Camel Trail. Pack for all weathers !

bodiddly Sat 18-Jul-09 17:08:05

the beach ... whether hot or not - has kept my little one amused for our last 2 holidays. There are loads of farms, amusement places to go but to be honest ds enjoyed the beach as much as anything else. He loved going crab-fishing in Looe, having a fish and chip lunch and then digging moats on the beach/collecting shells all afternoon. Really bummed that we aren't going to get a holiday this year!

When you get there you will find loads of leaflets to local attractions like Eden Project etc. These usually have discount codes as well. Have a great trip.

vjg13 Sat 18-Jul-09 20:49:49

Lappa Valley with the little trains is good too.

nappyaddict Sat 18-Jul-09 20:59:22

Flambards, St Micheal's Mount, Charlestown, Lanhydrock Manor, Seal Sanctuary, Goonhilly, Dairyland, Holywell Bay Fun Park, Springfield Fun Park, Cornish Goldsmiths, Trethorne Leisure, Monkey Sanctuary, Crealy Adventure Park, Otter Centre, Colliford's Kids Kingdom

FuriousGeorge Sat 18-Jul-09 21:28:59

We just got back from a rainy week in Looe.Our 2 enjoyed crab fishing,going to Fowey via the car ferry,rockpooling,beach in any weather,Fowey aquarium,especially when the owner got the starfish out for them to touch.We don't do farm parks as we are a farming family and they are too small for theme parks,so can't comment on these.They weren't keen on Heligan,so we didn't inflict Eden on them [dh & I have been before and enjoyed it though].They said they enjoyed the beach,swimming pool & crabbing best of all.

Kbear Sat 18-Jul-09 21:47:32

we went to Cornwall at Easter, stayed at Ruthern Valley in a wooden lodge - was lovely quiet site.

We all enjoyed the beaches, crabbing at Perranporth and St Agnes, St Ives - steep but quaint, Newquay is busy but great beaches, we found lots of other great empty beaches just by turning off the main road anywhere and heading in the direction of the sea.

I would get the kids wetsuits if they are going body surfing or their skin will get sore, they are for sale everywhere in Cornwall, not expensive either.

yappybluedog Sat 18-Jul-09 21:52:06

was going to say wear a raincoat but BeastQuest beat me to it

seriously, don't forget your coats, it's been raining non-stop here for about a decade

<hyperbole emoticon>

nappyaddict Sat 18-Jul-09 21:57:35

Oh yes St Agnes has a little craft centre thing that is nice.

smilesandsun Sun 19-Jul-09 09:39:31

thanks everyone for the ideas, I'm sure they will help. We'll be bringing our rain coats too!!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 19-Jul-09 09:53:00

Which part of Cornwall, you won't want to be travelling for hours to get somewhere.

Eden Project is good.

Drive to Sennen Cove and walk to Lands End, thus avoiding horrendous 'parking' charges aka entrance fees which are now in place - its beautiful even in the rain.

Depending on the age of the children - trip over to St Michael's Mount.

Lundy (Puffin) Island, this is a long day trip, but is worth it if you are in that area. Get a ferry over, see puffins, ferry back. Its a bit pricey though.

Definitely a beach, whatever the weather.

A Farm, again I agree.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 19-Jul-09 09:54:29

In fact, scrap Puffin Island, I think thats North Devon way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now