Talk

Advanced search

whats near cadburyworld plse? Warwick Castle?

(15 Posts)
FoJo Thu 16-Jul-09 20:02:58

Hi, I know it has very mixed reviews but we're having a few days down in birmingham area (we're in newcastle) and are going to cadburyworld. Wondered what else anyone recommends. We'll not do drayton manor as we're doing themeparks elsewhere in hols. I have ds 7 & dd 10 & i wouldnt say that normally castles would be at the top of our list but everyone seems to rave about warwick castle. Is it extra good?
Thanks

FragileMum Fri 17-Jul-09 15:21:32

Warwick Castle is great. Expensive but well worth it. We used some vouchers from Walkers crisps last summer. Take drinks or buy the extra mega ones! Lots to watch, take part in. I get a bit claustrophic but managed to climb lots of stone spiral staircases with 12 year old DD last year. Take a picnic and plan your day so you don't miss too many things such as the jousting. There was a great festival on in the town when we went so we spent Saturday at the festival and Sunday at the castle.

Have fun

serinBrightside Fri 17-Jul-09 18:28:18

If you work in the NHS have a look at the redguava site for half price admission.

pollywobbledoodle Fri 17-Jul-09 21:54:34

thinktank in birmingham is good

warwick castle is good if you like castles! has waxworks in the dungeons and often has displays in summer....morris dancing anyone?

cazzybabs Sun 19-Jul-09 17:11:32

thinktank was good - prefect for your age girls

there is the art gallery in birmingham

Sealife centre and canal trips

Seven valley railway

West midlands safari park

Aston hall is just re-opened

Stratford has a butterfly park and all of Shakespear's houses etc

llareggub Sun 19-Jul-09 17:14:00

Sealife centre is good and you can save money by buying tickets to both on the Warwick Castle website.

TsarChasm Sun 19-Jul-09 17:14:39

Warwick Castle still rates as one of our best days out. Excellent!

But, yes you do have to like castles it's true..grin

llareggub Sun 19-Jul-09 17:22:05

If you go on a Saturday in August there is jousting in the evening.

Leave the castle for lunch and visit the Oken Tea Rooms in Warwick for lovely cream teas. The castle staff will let you back in if you get your hand stamped. Lots of cafes in Warwick for lunch and they are all cheaper than inside.

St Nicolas Park is within walking distance of the castle and is good for children too if you fancy a walk down to the river.

liliputlady Sun 09-Aug-09 21:53:46

Castle Balti just down the road do wonderful curries for hungry tired sightseeers at the end of the day. Portions are ridiculously huge though!

squilly Sun 09-Aug-09 21:55:22

I love the Black Country Museum. It's good value for money and takes a whole day and can be educational without being too dull.

Woooozle100 Sun 09-Aug-09 22:02:31

Botanical Gardens in Edgebaston. Abs fantastic. Loads of play stuff and sensory / exploratory gardens for kids. About 7 quid for adults, half for kids, free for under 5's

Also the nature centre / cannon hill park. Its only about 3 quid to get in

The New Art Gallery, Walsall is amazing. There is a whole interactive kids gallery - dressing up, glockenspiels, interative pc stuff, loads of things to look into, listen to, play with.. a very inspiring place. They do various stuff all through the holdays in addition to this - craft workshoppy things. Best of all is free

The Walking with Dinbosaurs thing at thinktank is supposed to be good. Not cheap tho

FoJo Mon 10-Aug-09 07:50:19

gardens and Castle Balti sound very good!! We are going at the end of this week so thanks again folks

tiredemma Mon 10-Aug-09 07:51:44

Black Country Museum is FANTASTIC.

liliputlady Mon 10-Aug-09 19:31:32

I would arrive early to Warwick Castle and Cadbury World - both can get very busy.

Stratford-upon-Avon is a wonderful day out - something for all tastes - beautiful buildings, all the Shakespeare stuff, the river and great shops. Park and Ride really reasonable too.

FoJo Sun 16-Aug-09 10:13:54

We're back and had a brill time. Cadbury world was 'good' not brilliant. However Warwick Castle was fantastic (& I wouldnt say either of my children are 'hige' castle fans). Warwick itself also lovely. Went to Monkey Forest near stoke on way home and tha was also very good. Could have done loads more, canals especially looked lovely. Dc's aged 7 & 10 (and me!) all very excited to see proper 'Rosie and Jim' barges! Thanks as ever for all of your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now