Talk

Advanced search

what to do in north Yorkshire and winderemere

(18 Posts)
athomeagain Mon 13-Jul-09 19:10:56

Hi we are going away this weekend and are completely disorganised.

We are going to be staying in bowness and have done the boat trips and Beatrix potter before.

We are then staying in thornton le moor near Thirsk/ northallerton/harrogate and have looked at flamingo land which is really expensive and the reviews aren't great.

we have a four year old who needs to be entertained whatever the weather.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WriggleJiggle Mon 13-Jul-09 20:10:53

Forbidden corner is near Northallerton and is really good (thread about it here recently).
Swimming pool at Darlington is good (but I've forgotten the name)
Aquarium at Windermere

DLI Mon 13-Jul-09 20:17:04

there is sea life centre at scarborough. darlington swimming pool - dolphin centre. Shildon has a railway museum where your ds can walk without having to worry about him getting run over etc. there are a few farm visitor attractions round the area and then there is always the indoor play centres nearby. lightwater valley

sameagain Mon 13-Jul-09 20:30:44

The aquarium at Lakeside (short drive from Windermere) is great - you get to see ducks swimming underwater and there's a steam train ride there too.

The walk up Orrest Head (from by the Windermere Hotel) is a great first "mountain" for children. It's only about half an hour, but really feels like you're standing on top of a mountain at he top. The view is amazing on a clear day. My DS2 did it easily at just turned 4 and he's a soft southerner!

athomeagain Mon 13-Jul-09 20:49:57

Is Forbidden corner a bit scary

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 13-Jul-09 20:52:09

The best thing if the weather is rubbish is the Train Museum in York. Personally I have done it too many times...but the boys (2 and 4) LOVE it and it is FREE!!!!

You can also do park and ride to get there (they love buses), and you're in York (so you could go and look at the Minster / walls etc - or just walk 10 mins to pizza express!

They also like Newby Hall and Fountains Abbey - great playgrounds.

athomeagain Mon 13-Jul-09 21:03:44

The train museum in york might be good.Thanks

Just looking at old posts about the forbidden corner and people have said they came out soaked any way even on a dry day????
Is there much to see there for a four yar old girl who does not like dark places?

juanitad Mon 13-Jul-09 21:14:30

Big Sheep Little Cow is a farm attraction in Bedale, near Northallerton. It's meant to be good. Google Big Sheep Little Cow and it's the first hit you get

Lightwater Valley is better than Flamingo Land IMO, I used to love going there as a kid. Also it's nearer to Northallerton than Flamingo Land.

The Wensleydale Railway is lovely, goes from Leeming Bar through Leyburn to Redmire. Gorgeous countryside and kids usually love the train.

HTH

Kayzr Mon 13-Jul-09 21:19:20

There is a steam railway in Pickering. It is really good. I have to go nearly everyday to look at trains with DS1.

Website

Railway museum in York is also really good.

MrsMattie Mon 13-Jul-09 21:24:09

The National Railway Museum in York is great.

York is a lovely place to spend a few hours. We did a guided bus tour of York with our 4 yr old not long ago, which was nice (he loved the audio tour for kids)

Steam train to Haworth, home of the Brontes and very cute place for tea/pub lunch. Steam train is great fun.

A curry in Bradford - go to the big Akbhar's - really festive and they love kids.

When are you going? We went to see a footie match at Bradford earlier this year, which was good fun.

MrsMattie Mon 13-Jul-09 21:25:25

This is the steam railway we went on.

GIvePeasAChance Mon 13-Jul-09 21:32:42

oooooooh I grew up in Northallerton. I used to love Lightwater Valley but am never sure whether these places are worth it for a 4 year old?
<was never a Flamingo Land girl - in my head it was a bit Centre Parks Vs Butlins>

My favourite places outside Northallerton were Osmotherly - for wonderful walks and exploring. And the White Horse near Helmsley / Sutton Bank ( I am sure your car won't break down half way up Sutton Bank.)

But of course, I have not lived there for over 10 years now, so these are just happy childhood memories smile

athomeagain Mon 13-Jul-09 22:41:59

we are going on sat.

gingerdad Fri 17-Jul-09 12:17:00

If your looking for things to do either in North Yorkshire or Windermere visit www.daysoutinfo.co.uk

gingerdad Fri 17-Jul-09 12:20:28

www.daysoutinfo.co.uk

My favourites are Duckys Park Farm near Flookburgh, The Lakeland Maize Maze, near Kendal, South Lakes Wild Animal Park

if you are looking at going to the lakes aquarium pick up a "top attractions in the South Lakeland leaflet" it has a 2for1 offer in it.

If you are travelling by train you could visit www.tpexpress.co.uk/summeroffers for loads of 2 for 1 ones in Both Cumbria and North Yorkshire

Flamingoland is very good and has a fantastic new roller coaster

Diggerland in either Castleford or Co Durham is alos a great day out.

Lizzylou Fri 17-Jul-09 12:24:59

South Lakes zoo is amazing, Lemurs and Wallabies bounding around, this year will be our 4th consecutive visit!

If you stop at the Co-op in Ulverston beforehand and get a receipt, there is £5 off the zoo.

The aquarium is good as well.

Arnside is pretty, you can get the train over the estuary from Grange over Sands (lovely park there), we go crabbing on the beach and walk along the front, my boys love it (they are 5 and 3).

jemmm Fri 24-Jul-09 11:45:55

Yeah! to Railway Museum, Newby Hall and Fountains Abbey!

Newby isn't particularly cheap - Fountains Abbey is National Trust.

If you do go to The Railway Museum there's an excellent soft play place on the outskirts of York (going North), called Creepy Crawlies - they have a huge outdoor area, reasonable food, a small "farm" animal petting bit, go-karts. It's not the cheapest in the world - but they have a licence.

Also if you're thinking about the farm thing there's Hesketh Farm - which is pretty good, and it's attached to Bolton Abbey, which is another place you can quite happily spend an afternoon at.

springerspaniel Mon 03-Aug-09 21:08:42

I'm not claustrophobic but Forbidden corner gave me the heeby geebies. Bit scary for under 5s (or 6s or...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now