Talk

Advanced search

Legoland - when to go?

(40 Posts)
loobs2 Sun 12-Jul-09 21:41:46

DS is desperate to go to Legoland. We have some vouchers but DH and I absolutely hate crowds and long queues! Can anyone advise as to the best time to go? Would a Saturday in Sept be OK do you think? hmm

Kbear Sun 12-Jul-09 21:45:49

Saturdays are always busy. We went in Sept last year on the day before the kids went back to school - horrendous queues, more than two hours sometimes, for ten second rides. Frustrating for the kids and painful for parents trying to keep kids jolly whilst queueing for hours.

Kbear Sun 12-Jul-09 21:46:32

My advice is to take him to your nearest Lego shop and tell him that is Lego Land! grin

littleducks Sun 12-Jul-09 21:47:32

October would be better but Sept could be ok

squeaver Sun 12-Jul-09 21:49:22

NOW! On a weekday - go tomorrow if you can. Not many schools finished so not too bad, queues wise. We were there on Thursday and the longest was 30 mins (for a new ride)

NEVER go on a weekend.

bodiddly Sun 12-Jul-09 21:50:18

would week days in the summer holidays be as bad as weekends?

AvengingGerbil Sun 12-Jul-09 21:51:17

If you have to go on a weekend, go on a cold, wet one. No queues, and you're going to get wet on the rides anyway, so just take some changes of clothes.

It's unbearable in the sun.

squeaver Sun 12-Jul-09 21:52:15

I would imagine so, bodiddly

And yes, good point re the weather.

loobs2 Sun 12-Jul-09 22:00:45

Reading all your posts, I'm losing the will to live...!grin

squeaver Sun 12-Jul-09 22:08:11

Well Legoland does that to you.

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 12-Jul-09 22:10:24

Ooh, Squeaver, don't tell anyone to go tomorrow. We are hoping to go tomorrow and don't need any extra people there wink grin

Sorry op, can't advise as we always try to go after ds breaks up and before dd (at nursery) does - inorder to miss the worst of the summer queues.

Whenever you go, just plan to wait a lot and i'm sure you will have a great time. Going on a wet day is actually a very good idea. smile

I think it will rain tomorrow.

bodiddly Mon 13-Jul-09 21:47:20

how was it DesperateHousewifeToo? We are planning on going this Thursday!

rookiemater Mon 13-Jul-09 21:52:42

We went during the Easter holidays, had heard heinous reports about how busy it would be, we got there early, made a beeline for the toddler stuff and it was fine. Its a huge place, so if you head over straight away to the far side then work your way back is the best way to do it.

PortAndLemon Mon 13-Jul-09 21:55:17

If you can do a weekday in termtime, do that. Second choice, weekend in termtime. Third choice, if someone happens to have kidnapped your pet and is holding it hostage while insisting you go to Legoland, would be a weekday in the holidays. Frankly the pet could take its chances before I'd go on a weekend in the holidays.

We've been on weekdays in March and May and there are effectively no queues; most of the rides you can just stay on and go round as many times as you like.

bodiddly Mon 13-Jul-09 22:00:37

any tips as to which rides are best/busiest?

PortAndLemon Mon 13-Jul-09 22:11:49

The laser shooting thingy in the Egyptian-themed area is the busiest IME, so if you want to do that head straight for it when the park opens. The Viking water ride is good (although has BIG jolts, so make sure you are holding on) and the Dragon is fun as a rollercoaster.

How old is/are your DC(s)?

DesperateHousewifeToo Mon 13-Jul-09 22:13:35

sad we couldn't gosad

Dd (4yrs) woke at midnight last night sobbing that she could not move her head and it hurt. Dosed her up with neurofen.

Told ds (7yrs), at 5.30am when she woke us all up again, that we probably couldn't go as she was not well. He was devastated but very bravesad

Think she might have mumps. Got doc appointment at 8.30 am tomorrow to confirm or otherwise.

Luckily all the people we had planned to go with decided to leave it and go tomorrow so ds will stiil get to go with them.

Dd very pathetic, spent all day being carried from bed to sofa and back again but still asking to go to Legoland even though she couldn't sit up without screeching in pain and needing help. Poor little thing.

Agree with getting there as it opens and starting at the back of the park.

piprabbit Mon 13-Jul-09 22:13:47

We've been in September the last three years - always on a Friday or Monday though. It's never been busy and last year DH and DD were actually the only people on some of the big headline rides. Fab!

AvengingGerbil Tue 14-Jul-09 10:40:41

Do you think maybe it is getting quieter as people realise how spectacularly expensive it is?

slayerette Tue 14-Jul-09 10:48:09

This year DS's Easter holiday was out of step with state school holidays so we went then having bought tickets with our clubcard points. It was great - ten minute queues even for the laser ride and DS loved it.

bodiddly Tue 14-Jul-09 13:16:31

PortandLemon ds is 4 - is the laser thing scary?

PortAndLemon Tue 14-Jul-09 14:22:41

DS is also 4. I think it's very tame, and certainly he isn't scared by it in the slightest but I have seen some children of (I'd guess) 3-4 who were a bit perturbed. So I suppose it depends on your individual child.

Similarly, DS will go on anything he's allowed on and loves the Dragon rollercoaster and the Viking water ride thing. For some 4yo they might be a bit much, though.

squeaver Tue 14-Jul-09 14:26:33

my 4 yo dd didn't like the laser thing - it was a bit dark - but her 5 yo cousin (boy) LOVED it.

Then she loved the pole thing next to it and he didn't like it at all.

bodiddly Tue 14-Jul-09 20:12:48

he went to a similar place on holiday last year and loved all the rollercoasters etc aged 3 so I think he will be ok. he also loved the bungee trampoline so fingers crossed!

blowninonabreeze Tue 14-Jul-09 20:19:40

For anyone thinking of going this year persil are giving away 2 for 1 vouchers on some of their packs of washing powder.

Valid until November

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now