Talk

Advanced search

Off to the Peak District with 5, 6, 7 and 9 year old boys, fo r week

(9 Posts)
Notquitegrownup Sun 12-Jul-09 17:23:08

Any suggestions for must do days out/good visits, much appreciated.

janeite Sun 12-Jul-09 17:29:06

Dovedale to do the stepping stones across the river. Bakewell and Buxton both have nice parks. Crich Tramway Museum?

serinBrightside Mon 13-Jul-09 00:33:07

Climb to the top of Peveril castle in Castleton.

The heights of Abraham is fab, (our kids said they preferred it to Disney!!). You go up to the top of the hill in a cablecar across a quite scary ravine, there are numerous play areas and a huge underground cavern at the top.

Chatsworth house has a waterfall feature that the kids can play in.

Gullivers kingdom at Matlock.

Have a good time.

snice Mon 13-Jul-09 00:34:38

Chatsworth Farm and adventure playgrd is worth a visit too

ProfYaffle Mon 13-Jul-09 06:40:59

The various caves around Castleton are great and I also second the Heights of Abraham. I love Eyam village but I guess I'm a bit odd like that! It's also known as the Plague Village, has a plague museum, loads of info in the church and each house has a plaque detailing who died there and how - I love it in a horrible histories type of way.

Notquitegrownup Mon 13-Jul-09 11:29:36

Fantastic thank you. Anyone been to Kinglsey Falconry Centre? (I love birds of prey!)

Notquitegrownup Mon 13-Jul-09 11:30:41

PS - I would be fascinated by Eyam too PY. I remember hearing a radio play based in the plague years and years ago - maybe at school.

Lilymaid Mon 13-Jul-09 11:41:08

Take or hire bikes and go along one of the bike trails. I would recommend the Manifold Way for that age group as the trail is largely on tarmac and there is a great water splash at Wetton Mill. Other cycle trails tend to be more exposed but may be more convenient for where you are staying.
If you are in the south of the Peak District, Carsington Reservoir would be worth a visit.

greenfanta Tue 21-Jul-09 23:55:24

is this too late?
just north of leek is tittesworth water, if sunny kids can paddle in th brooks. great kids play ground. there is a visitor centre/cafe or take a picnic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now