Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Glasgow days out please

(14 Posts)
Phoenix4725 Sun 12-Jul-09 11:54:55

Am looking for idears for things to do in August , will be going with some friends and will have 7 dc with us 6 of them being under 6 mad yes i know and one ds of 12 .

Also ideally needs be wheelchair friendly as my ds uses one though if needs he can be carried .And my friends DP is in wheelchair to and lol am not carryin him

shonaspurtle Sun 12-Jul-09 11:58:25

Tollcross Park has a wheelchair-friendly playpark connected to their Winter Gardens.

Most of the Glasgow parks I've been to have been pretty wheelchair friendly actually, but the equipment at Tollcross is specially designed.

shonaspurtle Sun 12-Jul-09 11:59:01

Tollcross also has a children's farm attached.

geordieminx Sun 12-Jul-09 12:05:28

If the weather is bad then the science centre is great. Its not cheap, £8 per adult, not sure about kids as ds is only 2 so free, but you really can spend the whole day there. Also you can use tesco clubcard vouchers to pay for entrance so works out quite cheap if you are a tesco addict like me

Xscape is also good in bad weather.

Strathclyde park is good, although about 15 mins outside Glasgow - you have M&D's theme park, Amizonia indoor rainforest, crazy golf, amusements, soft play and half a dozen parks situated around the lake loch.

Kelvingrove park and Museum are nice, and across the road from there is the transport museum - Both are free. There is a Doctor Who exibition on at the Kelvin grove just now, although you have to pay to get into that.

If you can give me a better idea of whether you want to be city centre or are happy to travel a bit then I could suggest more places - like Loch Lomon and Blair Drummond Safari park - but both are 3/4 drive from Glasgow.

GiraffesCanRunA10k Sun 12-Jul-09 12:34:14

Geordie has really said all I was going to say!

Went with a school to science centre and has a pupil in wheel chair and was absolutely fine, loads she could do and no problems at all when we were there so really reccomend that, it is expensive but you can bring a packed lunch and theres tables for it so that cuts down cost a fair bit.

geordieminx Sun 12-Jul-09 14:37:57

You can go out and come back in too, so you could spend a morning, go out and have some lunch/walk along the quay/across the bridge then go back in. Its is where Nina and the Neurons is filmed so always gets a good response friom under 5's grin

Phoenix4725 Sun 12-Jul-09 17:29:02

oh science museum sounds a must and yes am happy to travel around though sadly going have be by public transport and yes were going be popping to edinburgh to do the zoo as its part of group a smy local one so free entry

seb1 Sun 12-Jul-09 20:43:06

public transport info

SusieWi Mon 13-Jul-09 11:42:21

You might want to consider Almond Valley Heritage Centre in Livingston. We were there last weekend and the kids love it there. We've been a couple of times now and there is lots to do and see.

Great value for money and under 3's get in free. Very sure it is wheelchair friendly too from what I have seen.

Fimbo Mon 13-Jul-09 11:45:43

Rouken Glen Park on the south side of Glasgow is lovely for the dc to let off steam. Nice cafe there too.

You can get the train from Glasgow Central to Whitecraigs.

Fimbo Mon 13-Jul-09 11:47:12

Rouken Glen. We used to have a flat very near here, so I am biased!

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Fri 07-Aug-09 12:12:27

Peoples Palace is very interesting and has wheelchair access. There is a park at Glasgow green too which is a short walk. It's free to get in. We went yesterday with a 13, 8, 6 and 3 year old and something for everyone.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Fri 07-Aug-09 12:18:21

Recommend the Transport Museum, even my DD loved it there!

suzydelarosa Fri 08-Jul-11 00:35:05

you know where is great? Heads of Ayr... amazing park there with animals (mini-zoo), trampolines... amazing day out for kids. 40 mins by car, just south of Ayr. Can't remember exact name... but amazing. Looks out over hte coast!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now