Talk

Advanced search

Pick your own berries- is there anywhere accessible from central london by public transport?

(37 Posts)
IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 18:21:59

i really want to do this with the kids next week. A friend told me of one place but it is not easy to get to without a car (which we do not have). Is there anywhere I can get to easily by public transport? I don't mind a train journey so long as I don't then need a bus or three and a long walk to get there.

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 19:29:10

Bump please!

foxinsocks Sat 11-Jul-09 19:30:08

there's garsons farm but I'll just check the transport

foxinsocks Sat 11-Jul-09 19:31:59

ah it says half way between esher and hersham train stations and a 40 minute walk but it does say there's a bus that goes there (not sure where it picks you up from!)

it's a lovely place....you could spend a whole day there!

spicemonster Sat 11-Jul-09 19:34:03

Try this list

www.timeout.com/london/aroundtown/features/1750/Pick-your-own_farms_and_orchards_near_London.html.

Grays is brilliant but it is a train ride then a bus (or possibly two) but there may be somewhere else on there

foxinsocks Sat 11-Jul-09 19:36:44

the other one is parkside (which is nearish some train station in Enfield) but I haven't been there for a while

foxinsocks Sat 11-Jul-09 19:37:54

here's garsons

have a feeling you're tother side of london to me so only really worth it if you're sw or nearish waterloo

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 19:40:04

Thank you for that link. I clicked on everyone and none seemed near public transport. Very frustrating! They all have directions for people driving only.

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 19:40:24

Thank you for that link. I clicked on everyone and none seemed near public transport. Very frustrating! They all have directions for people driving only.

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 19:41:26

I am central london so can get to any station really. It is not this end that worries me, it is getting off a train the other end and having to wait for some rural bus that only comes once an hour or something!

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 19:42:16

Parkside is the one recommended to me by a friend. But I would need a tube, then a train and then a bus and then a 12 minute walk (according to tfl) with three kids in tow. Doesn't appeal!

foxinsocks Sat 11-Jul-09 19:44:46

have you thought about joining streetcar?

dh works so takes the car on the weekend and I've thought about joining. Just for days like you describe. Easier to have a car for that sort of outing! Think we get used to being spoilt by London and having everything close to public transport.

I have <extremely lazily> been considering streetcar as they've put a parking right near our house grin

foxinsocks Sat 11-Jul-09 19:45:37

streetcar

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 19:59:32

I already belong to streetcar - I used to use it alot. But I don't even have a car seat for ds3 as there is no way we would get three carseats across the back of a streetcar car And we were planning on going with the inlaws too this time as they are visiting. So that would be 4 adults and three carseats.

foxinsocks Sat 11-Jul-09 20:02:28

oh no! What a pain!

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 20:03:36

I actually feel quite agrieved that we cannot do this without a car. Seems unfair really and not very environmentally friendly either.

mrsruffallo Sat 11-Jul-09 20:08:06

I know Ilana K, you re quite right. It seems impossible to access many places outside of London without a car

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 20:09:09

Actually, I suppose I am not being accurate as we can get to Parkside without a car. It would just be a total pain in the rear.

policywonk Sat 11-Jul-09 20:15:37

Foxy, Garsons is just down the road from me! Was there yesterday, in fact. It's a great place.

Ilana, a taxi from Hersham station to Garsons would be about £5 (max - probably less). I could give you a taxi number if you like. There is a bus, but you would still have a 10-minute walk once you got off.

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 20:17:57

A taxi is an excellent idea - especially if we can get a people mover style car. Yes please to giving me a taxi number. Thanks!

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 20:21:33

The website says it is halfway between esher and hersham stations. Are either of those towns better than the other as a place to visit in it's own right?

policywonk Sat 11-Jul-09 20:23:19

Great! Ashley Cars: 01932 248248, or Ace Cars: 01932 881188. (This is actually the same firm and they're pretty reliable IME.)

Also: Esher Station Cars (if you go to Esher instead - it's one stop earlier but a bit further from Garsons): 020 8398 7676.

Let me know if you don't get any joy with these and I'll try to get some more for you.

policywonk Sat 11-Jul-09 20:25:50

Well, I wouldn't really recommend Hersham for a day out, to be honest, much as I'm fond of it. Esher high street has much more going for it (Carluccio's, lots of coffee shops, a few decent shops) but it's quite a way from Esher railway station.

You can spend quite a long time at Garsons though - the PYO bit is HUGE, and there's a picnic field if you bring your own lunch. The garden centre to which it is attached also has a cafe, and there are woods and river walks nearby.

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 20:27:09

Excellent - thank you very much for the info. Now all we need is good weather for it!

policywonk Sat 11-Jul-09 20:34:52

Yes, it's a bit miserable this weekend - hopefully it'll cheer up next week.

One more thing - because the PYO is so big, bear in mind that you'll have to do a bit of walking once you get there. You can probably get the taxi to drop you off at the field you want, but be prepared for a 10/15-minute walk back to the main shop once you've finished.

Oh, and don't try to stuff berries in your pockets - they have armed guards at the exits wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now