Talk

Advanced search

Hay Festival

(8 Posts)
yoyo Mon 16-May-05 14:28:39

Just noticed that this is on over half term and wondered if anyone had been with children. If so would you recommend it?

flum Mon 16-May-05 14:41:50

i think its more of a middle aged beardy thing from what i hear

roisin Mon 16-May-05 14:45:08

Hi! I asked a similar question a few weeks back, but didn't find anyone who's been. I've got the programme and it looks fabulous; apparently accommodation and parking is a bit of a nightmare.

I definitely want to take the children to Hay or something similar in the next few years, but not this year.

roisin Mon 16-May-05 14:45:50

There's loads and loads of workshops and author talks for kids, some fantastic authors going this year. But you do have to book in advance.

batters Mon 16-May-05 15:01:55

roisin I too asked a similar question and noone responded to me either .

The stuff did look fab, but as roisin says it really looked like you had to book well in advance. Also I think it takes quite a bit of planning, each seperate event is bookable so you really needed to sort that out well.

Considering going next year though .

roisin Mon 16-May-05 15:38:37

MN Meet-up next year at Hay?!

yoyo Mon 16-May-05 15:45:37

Thanks. Thought it would require lots of booking. Won't need to stay over as will be in Wales so not far to travel. Will contact now for further details.
The list of contributors is certainly very impressive.
Middle aged - getting there; beard - rather not comment!

wavingordrowning Mon 16-May-05 15:59:50

Used to live near there but haven't been to the Festival for many, many years. I'm not sure I'd go with children unless they were of a literary sort. That said, there are lots of other things to do in the area (The Big Pit - a disused coal mine you can go down with miner's lamp etc; various adventure activities etc etc). So it might be worth checkign the programme and seeing if there are any good children's authors there this year and just going for the day whilst doing lots of other local things. Bear in mind that it does get very busy during Hay Festival. Brecon Tourist Information should be able to help Tel : 01874 622485

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now