Talk

Advanced search

The forbidden corner , Yorkshire anyone been ?

(22 Posts)
Lilyloo Wed 01-Jul-09 21:21:20

Was thinking of booking tickets when we are camping in a couple of weeks.
A good day out ?
dc are 7 , 4 and 18 mths

nigglewiggle Wed 01-Jul-09 21:24:08

No, but it has been recommended. I was told that children need to be old enough to appreciate it and not be frightened by the dark mysterious parts. My DDs are 3 and 1 so I am hanging on a bit. But I reckon your older two would enjoy it. I am told it is brilliant.

geordieminx Wed 01-Jul-09 21:24:52

Yes, dp and I went about 7 years ago, and it was absolutely fab. One of the best days out ever.

Cant wait to take ds(2)

Only things are

a) you have to book - not very good if weather is crap

b) It was roasting when we went and once inside the gardens there was no where to get a drink/ice cream,although this may have changed in 7 years

Cant reccomend it enough - the kids will love it.

PortBlacksandResident Wed 01-Jul-09 21:37:18

We thought it was fab, so did our two DSs. DNiece however had hysterics all the way round (sensitive child).

There are some quite scary bits.

'the cat is coming, the cat is coming.......'

Deffo go!

Mutt Wed 01-Jul-09 21:40:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PortBlacksandResident Wed 01-Jul-09 21:50:51

And the circular room with the doors shock - that's freaky too. The memories are flooding back.

Oooh oooh and the glass bottle fountain thingy that you walk above or under.

Yes' it's quite a bizarre and dark place and i can't think of anywhere like it.

Lilyloo Fri 03-Jul-09 12:47:18

Sounds 'interesting' thanks!!

FoJo Fri 03-Jul-09 21:04:09

Brilliant. Your younger child not so sure. The outside bits are probalby fairly buggy friendly, but the inside bits definitely not. However you dont have to go in a particular order. Book an early slot as my lot always want to do everything at least twice so you and dp could take turns each one wandering around the outdoor bits with the buggy while the other takes the older 2 inside? There is a lovely 'herb' garden bit with a much welcome ice cream/coffee shop but the section its in would be very easy to miss, its kind of off to the right as you come in and have your back to the entrance. I;d recommend you go for it

gigglinggoblin Fri 03-Jul-09 21:11:06

It is absolutely brilliant, never been to anything else like it. Take a picnic, the little cafe bit didnt do much in the way of food when we went. We will prob go again this summer, there are few other attractions where we can actually spend an entire day as dc want to go round it again and again. And each time you go round you find something you missed last time! Just dont let them go off and tell them you will catch them up, you might not be able to find them again, took us ages to get on the same path, poor ds was stuck in sight but out of reach lol

gigglinggoblin Fri 03-Jul-09 21:11:45

Where are you camping btw? I would like to find somewhere next time so the drive isnt as long

seeker Fri 03-Jul-09 21:13:50

It's FABULOUS - but my ds was completely freaked out when he was 6. He is a rel wimp, though!

FoJo Fri 03-Jul-09 21:18:48

Let them take torches. First time we went ds was about 4 (although always been 'very brave') but we took torches and he loved leading the way

southeastastra Fri 03-Jul-09 21:20:49

sounds freaky

Lilyloo Fri 03-Jul-09 21:50:22

We camping here

Hulababy Fri 03-Jul-09 21:54:21

We went a couple of years ago when DD was 5y and had a great time.

katiepea Fri 03-Jul-09 21:58:06

It is a brilliant place - went 2 yrs ago with ds 9 - had a ball! Can't wait to go again and walk round slowly! Ds never stopped running couldn't wait to see the next bit!

PerfectPrefect Fri 03-Jul-09 22:00:09

Wow that looks liek one AMAZING place.

Sadly DTDs hate dark and eerie places so it would be a no-goer...and it doens't look very 3yo friendly.

CheeryCherry Fri 03-Jul-09 22:14:50

Agree it is an amazing place. My three had a ball, v good fun, it is sooo cleverly planned out, and really funny in parts. (they howled when i got soaked by a sensor-triggered fountain!)Not pushchair or wheelchair friendly.

springerspaniel Mon 03-Aug-09 21:12:06

We camped in Reeth. Really nice campsite.

Found Forbidden Corner far too scary.

Lilyloooohhhh Fri 16-Oct-09 21:24:56

Just resurecting this as never got there on our camping trip.
Thinking of arranging a group of mums and dc's at half term to go here.
Is it ok if the weather isn't great ?

goryminx Thu 22-Oct-09 20:50:40

I wouldnt go if it was raining, cold/dry fine, but I should imagine it would be pretty grim in the rain - plus its nice to wander about, not race round trying to keep out of the rain?

StealthPolarBear Thu 22-Oct-09 20:56:27

would love to go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now