Talk

Advanced search

On a scale of one to hell on earth, how bad is Legoland in school holidays?

(17 Posts)
mrsgboring Wed 24-Jun-09 11:14:45

We have a 3.5 year old and a 9 week old baby, and could only comfortably go to Legoland on an overnight stay, preferably on a weekday so the park isn't too busy. But DH doesn't reckon he can get time off before the holidays start.

So how bad is Legoland in the hols, and is there any time that's better or worse then or should we just give up on the idea altogether?

MagNacarta Wed 24-Jun-09 11:20:16

We went in August last year, on a weekday and had to wait for ages for each ride - about an hour. Our 6 year old almost went nuts and so therefore did we.

barbarapym Wed 24-Jun-09 11:29:05

My advice would be don't do it unless you can do a weekday outside the school holidays. We had a similar experience to MagNaCarta in school hol time. I was on my own with very patient 5yo who happily read his book in the queues, but we had to wait over an hour for everything - in the rain too. We were there 11-6 and in that time only managed 3 'major' rides - and two of the rides we queued for broke down after 40 minutes of queuing. It was hell. With a baby and a three year old I think I'd wait a while anyway. You'll have a much better time when the kids are older, honest!

PortAndLemon Wed 24-Jun-09 11:43:12

I think a 3.5 yo would love it, actually - but not in school holidays. Definitely on the hell on earth end of the scale. But weekdays in term time are fab -- could you go in September once the schools are back (it's closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays in September, though)?

mrsgboring Wed 24-Jun-09 11:54:03

Thanks all. DS1 has been before so we know he would love it (total legophile since forever) but I think from what you all say about the crowds, it would be horrid until September.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 24-Jun-09 11:58:00

Don't do it unless you like queueing for hours with bored, whingey children.

Seriously.

If your DH can't go until the holidays, don't bother.

Smithagain Wed 24-Jun-09 11:58:58

sad DD1 is desperate to go to Legoland but is at school now. And no inset days for months. Is it really, really that bad???

BreevandercampLGJ Wed 24-Jun-09 12:02:18

DO NOT GO TO LEGOLAND IN THE HOLIDAYS IT IS HELL ON EARTH.......

Yes, I was shouting this is important. grin

singersgirl Wed 24-Jun-09 12:13:06

We've been several times in August for birthday treats. It is very busy, but just about bearable if:
- you book tickets online and print them out at home
- you arrive before the gates open and then go the furthest part of the park (as far away from the gates as possible) and work backwards
-you take a picnic, snacks and water so you don't have to queue for food (never mind the prices)
- you pay extra for one of their Q-bot queuebuster gadgets, which means you can spend the hour you would have spend queuing for something playing in one of the playgrounds or having a picnic or building some models etc

With preschool age children, though, I'd wait until September!

LIZS Wed 24-Jun-09 12:16:17

If you can go before 3rd week of July it would probably be ok but would otherwise leave it until September. Queues probably would n't really affect the rides you would have the choice of but the general bustle and queues for food, drink, ice cream and toilets will be horrid and best avoided.

hotpotmama Wed 24-Jun-09 12:54:26

I just logged onto mumsnet to ask the same question. What do you think the first weekend in September will be like? The same?

Got two at school and a 1 year old so can't go weekdays.

And has anyone stayed at the Hilton Bracknell?

gegs73 Wed 24-Jun-09 12:59:51

Legoland in the summer holidays is normally fine if its raining, but other than that your best going on a weekend when the schools are back. Or on an inset day! Really short queues. Also the QBots really cut down waiting times during busy periods, I've never hired one though as they are really expensive.

SomeGuy Thu 25-Jun-09 22:02:19

Is first weekend in September last of school holidays? If so then yes, hell. go following weekend instead.

serin Fri 26-Jun-09 23:34:43

HELL

At least Disney have play areas and they have made an effort to make the queues more interesting.

cthea Fri 26-Jun-09 23:37:21

this place nearby (I think it's in the area) is much, much nicer.

SomeGuy Sat 27-Jun-09 01:19:54

It's not really a full day though, Bekonscot.

Better idea: go to Virginia Water and have a walk and picnic.

mysweetboy Sat 27-Jun-09 15:27:02

DONT DO IT!!!!! grin

We really loved it when my two when younger - have some fantastic days there but only outside the school hols

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now