Talk

Advanced search

Day out in Manchester with 9yo boy with ASD. Help?!

(24 Posts)
ItsAllaBitNoisy Wed 03-Jun-09 17:50:39

He adores Man U, so we are staying beside Old Trafford (Premier Inn) and I imagine a day will be spent exploring there, tours etc.

We have the following full day free.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated and I'll run them by him. grin He's not mine (he's my nephew), and it is a treat weekend away with me, so it would be great if we could find something special for the second day. The budget is fairly healthy for this day.

We fly back to Ireland late on our free day, so we could travel a little.

charliejess22 Wed 03-Jun-09 20:16:47

There is a football museum in Preston which isnt too far away. There is a soft play area in Chorlton which isnt too far from Old Trafford called Head Over Heels, they have a website so check the age range as I have taken my 4 year old nephew but cant remember if there is stuff for older kids. You can get the train to Liverpool in about an hour and to the beach at southport in maybe an hour and a half but thats probably too far. There is a place not too far thats like an outdoor assault course, will get back to you when I remember its name - again though not sure how accesible it will be without a car. There's always the trafford centre for some shopping

ItsAllaBitNoisy Wed 03-Jun-09 21:12:15

Football museum sounds great Charlie, I'll have a look and see have they a website.

Soft play not really a runner, as the noise/chaos is a bit much for him.

Trafford Centre sounds fab. For me. Not sure if I could get away with it with himself though!

/googles Trafford Centre for mega toy store..

ItsAllaBitNoisy Wed 03-Jun-09 21:13:02

Apologies Charlie, thanks so much for all the information. smile

Lilyloo Wed 03-Jun-09 21:14:39

Museum of science and industry a good day out and free

Lizzylou Wed 03-Jun-09 21:16:31

The Science and Industry museum is a massive favourite for my two boys (5 and 3yrs), lots of things to push and poke very child friendly and good for lively boys. smile

Lizzylou Wed 03-Jun-09 21:17:07

Lol xposts Lilyloo, am watching Suralan and typing slowly!

charliejess22 Wed 03-Jun-09 21:30:54

I was meaning the Croccy Trail which has a website but think it might be too far and probably not suitable for your nephew. Agree with Science Museum too.

No mega toy store at the Trafford Centre I hate to tell you!!!

charliejess22 Wed 03-Jun-09 21:33:16

ps will prob need to book the old trafford tour!

MerlinsBeard Wed 03-Jun-09 21:34:42

Oooh nooo not Trafford Centre!!!

Does he have any other fave things? Old Trafford is not far from Salford Quays which is pretty and has The Lowry with shops and a museum (never been to museum bit tho)

Science museum is FAB and free too - has a transport section which is full of cars and a cockpit of a plane that you can get in.

Will you have a car with you? or will you be relying on public transport?

When are you going? There may be something on in the Arndale centre? Have a look at booking your MUFC tour - can imagine that they are VERY popular

ItsAllaBitNoisy Wed 03-Jun-09 22:09:17

Thanks so much for the info.

I am stuck for time right now, but he has mentioned "Lasers", does this mean anything to anyone? I think they are a group activity anyway, so probably not possible.

I will have time to go through all your suggestions in the morning, they all sound great.

Oh, no car, will be taxi's probably or a train if quiet far.

I will book the Man U tour, we have discussed it, and we are going to book two! We'll have a lunch break then do it ALL again (repetition is a ^very good thing^ for this young man). I can't honestly say the same, but shall wing the enthusiasm!

Thanks again.smile

ItsAllaBitNoisy Wed 03-Jun-09 22:10:40

*quite
etc, etc..

ZZMum Wed 03-Jun-09 22:19:51

there is laser quest at the trafford centre which is good fun for boys - also at Parrswood - can be done with 2 people.. totally agree with MOSI - it is excellent and check out what is on at Urbis.. some good stuff for kids there sometimes..

MerlinsBeard Wed 03-Jun-09 22:22:05

OK, lowry is reachable by metro from near Man U (or if you are a numpty like me you can walk there but its FAR)

science museum would be metro and a walk but its not too far from deansgate train station iirc.

There is also manchester museum on oxford road but that is more of a walk than it looks from oxford road train station!

Not sure what lasers means - light sabers? laser quest?

You can get to altrincham on the metro (but would have to change lines in city centre) and go ice skating - the ice rink is almost next to the interchange in altrincham.

Erm, what else? Well obv there is the Man U shopgrin erm...am thinking - my eldest is only 6 so trying to imagine what he would be into at 9 is tricky !!

ZZMum Wed 03-Jun-09 22:25:49

also the art gallery in centre of manchester has a great kids play area - the kids are mainly back at school next week so it should be quiet but there are some good activities there that my 9 year old DS likes..

ItsAllaBitNoisy Wed 03-Jun-09 23:22:21

Just checking in, and am very, very grateful for all the suggestions.

Co-ordination not the best for ice-skating, and as a result not too keen on art projects either. But thanks.

There's LOADS of stuff here for us to research now, thank you so much.

It's fine putting "Manchester, children, activities" into google - but when it comes down to it, I trust the "Mums" grin

Lizzylou Thu 04-Jun-09 09:07:39

Heaton Park is a Metro ride away, very big open spaces, a childrens farm (he may be a bit old), lake, lots of playgrounds (some for older children) and great for a picnic, assuming you get a rare nice day!

Lizzylou Thu 04-Jun-09 09:10:54

Also, you can catch the train to Manchester Airport, takes about 10mins, there is a viewing gallery etc, my Dad is an airport enthusiast so he loves it!

Lovesdogsandcats Thu 04-Jun-09 09:27:53

In the Trafford Centre is a crazy golf centre only £5 to do the course and great fun.

ItsAllaBitNoisy Thu 04-Jun-09 10:58:38

Well thanks Lizzylou, we are flying into and out of Manchester Airport (from Dublin) so that will keep him happy there.

Thanks for all the tips, we will be writing down all the suggestions and googling like mad later today.

We need lists and timetables and plans, this will make it more enjoyable for him (and me!).

Really appreciate it, all of you. x

ItsAllaBitNoisy Thu 04-Jun-09 11:02:58

P.S. I will be pushing for Science Museum and/or Manchester Museum (which would be better do you think?), not sure how I'll get on though. Sell it to him ladies!

We have to do a bit of shopping for gifts to bring home (to my DD - who is a flippin' star for being happy about me taking DN away without her) and find somewhere cool to eat.

ZZMum Thu 04-Jun-09 13:42:04

Science Museum is by far the best for 9 yo boy - lots of trains and planes to climb over and a good play type area with science type experiements that are fun and not boring/geeky..

Do that and then walk down to St Anne Square and the Triangle for some good places to eat and shop..

serin Thu 04-Jun-09 22:25:57

Chill Factore for indoor skiing? It is close to the trafford centre and is surprisingly quiet on weekdays.

Chester zoo is great but would involve a train ride.

Gauntlet bird of prey centre at Knutsford is not that far out of Manchester and you can buy an owl experience for £25 where they let all the different types of owls flr to your gloved hand. They have lots of eagles etc which do a display later on. Staff are just lovely, would something like that appeal?

serin Thu 04-Jun-09 22:29:16

Oh, also remembered, what about getting the train out to the peak district (Hope station), from there it is easy to get to Peveril castle (spectacular view) and the nearby caves which you can catch a boat through).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now