Talk

Advanced search

Anyone no somewhere to go near Thorpe Park?

(17 Posts)
noordinarymum Wed 27-May-09 20:22:31

I put this in a different topic but didn't get much response so thought i would try again!
I need to find somewhere near Thorpe Park, as i am dropping two teenagers there, where i can go for the day??? Anyone got any idea??

PortAndLemon Wed 27-May-09 20:31:13

What do you want to do? Shopping, culture, physical activity?

noordinarymum Wed 27-May-09 20:57:33

Thanks for replyingsmile

Well, i am taking my mum to keep me company so don't want to do anything too energetic!

Just fancied wandering around, maybe lunch, something nice to look at (!?) maybe a spot of shopping...... Just need to kill about 7/8 hours!!

ellceeell Wed 27-May-09 21:14:04

What about Windsor? There are a few nice places to eat and you could look around the castle? Or go on an open top bus tour round Windsor, Eton etc. Windsor is about 8 miles from Thorpe Park

sparkleandshine Wed 27-May-09 21:20:51

Windsor or Kingston.... Windsor better for sightseeing (castle etc) Kingston better for shopping.

ellceeell Wed 27-May-09 21:20:54

Or if you like Gardens, Savill Garden is stunning www.theroyallandscape.co.uk/landscape/savillgarden/ and only about 7 miles from Thorpe Park. Very nice cafe too grin

sparkleandshine Wed 27-May-09 21:22:14

if you go to Kingston there is Hampton court on the way though... and the deer park adjacent. You could get lost in the maze for a couple of hours grin

Daffodilly Wed 27-May-09 21:24:50

Kew Gardens isn't too far away either. Nice for wandering around and lunch, also little boutique shops in Kew village.

Or Richmond is also short drive away. Lots of shops, cafes, restaurants, theatre, etc.

noordinarymum Wed 27-May-09 23:07:24

Oh thank you all so muchsmile

I didn't realise Windsor was so close!! Thats good cos i did fancy going there. I also didn't realise Kew was so nearsmile

Actually Savill Garden sounds great, going to look at the link.

Thanks to all of you, otherwise i would have been sat in the car for hours and hours!

SomeGuy Thu 28-May-09 00:42:25

Wouldn't recommend Kew Gardens from Chertsey, it's a fairly long way with the traffic and not a good local parking situation.

If you want to visit the Royal Landscapes you can park near Blacknest Gate, walk round Virginia Water (about 4 miles), and visit the Valley Gardens, all for free (follow the marked 'Discovery Trail').

Savill Garden is in the same location, you have to pay to get in though. Personally I wouldn't go there, if you've not been to Wisley Gardens, which is much bigger and more interesting, for about the same entrance charge, and is easily accessible 1 junction along the M25.

If you like walking, there's Chobham Common, which is extensive lowland heath about 2 miles away. Weybridge is very close, a posh town where you could do a bit of window shopping, and walk to the Thames. There's also an out-of-town giant Tesco/M&S/Mothercare/Argos at Brooklands.

Staines is your best shopping choice, as it's only 2 miles away, and despite the Ali G associations, it's set alongside the banks of the Thames, and there's all the shopping you could wish for - the Elmsleigh and Two Rivers shopping centres with Debenhams, M&S, GAP, Mamas & Papas, Mothercare, New Look, Next, TK Maxx, etc. etc.

ThePellyandMe Thu 28-May-09 02:19:28

RHS Wisley? I've never been but it's on that stretch of the M25.

thumbwitch Thu 28-May-09 02:26:10

Yep, Staines is definitely the nearest to Thorpe Park. Not as nice as Windsor etc., maybe - but defo the nearest and cheaper parking.

scienceteacher Thu 28-May-09 04:57:50

I live very close to Thorpe Park and would struggle to spend more than an hour in Staines shopping, two with lunch. There is a good selection of shops and restaurants.

Savill Garden is good for a couple of hours. Don't park at Blacknest (you have to pay) - park at Savill Garden or Wheatsheaf and get 1.5 hours parking for free. You can also get free parking outside the park for longer. There are good pub/restaurants at most gates, as well as the cafe inside. If you enjoy looking at specimen plants, you can pay to go inside Savill Gardens itself or you can go to Valley Gardens for free.

Windsor has nice shopping and restaurants but it is a pain to park. I would only really go there if you were going to go to the castle itself.

TBH, with 8 hours to kill, I would take the train into central London. There is a 35 minute service from Staines to Waterloo with at least 4 trains per hour off peak. You can park in the street for free after 10am.

SomeGuy Thu 28-May-09 10:30:31

You can park on the side of Mill Lane just past Blacknest gate (which itself is a little past the Blacknest car park) for free for as long as you like.

thumbwitch Thu 28-May-09 15:44:01

Another point - there is a Vue cinema in Staines that has 10 screens - I'm sure you could find one to kill another couple of hours with.
Virginia Water Lake/ Windsor Great Park are lovely to walk in if the weather is nice; as others have said, there is free parking on the A30 in the laybys just before you get to the Wheatsheaf (pub).

noordinarymum Fri 29-May-09 23:58:03

In the end we went today rather than Saturday, thought it might be quieter. I hadn't seen the last few messages on here though!!!
We ended up going to Windsor, we parked right near the Castle which was quite empty and compared the prices round here very reasonable.
We had a lovely day, nice lunch, wandered round the shops, didn't go in the castle but at least we saw it from the outsidegrin
Then we went and sat by the river which was really close to Thorpe Park.

Thank you all so much, without all the advice i don't know where i would have ended up!! I also know that there are loads of places i can go in future when they make me take them again lol!

ellceeell Sun 31-May-09 20:53:21

Glad you had a good time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now