Talk

Advanced search

What to do for 1st birthday? Pls help!

(13 Posts)
babygibbon Fri 06-May-05 13:02:27

It's my dd's first birthday on 18th June and because we're not getting her christened, I wanted to have a big party for her (or rather, for us to celebrate her!). However, our house isn't that big and I wanted to invite lots of people. A picnic in a nearby park would be ideal, but we can't guarantee the weather. We're in Salisbury, has anyone got any great ideas, please?

honeypot01 Sat 07-May-05 12:25:02

you could hire a hall,

We had my sons 1st bday and christening both at my parents house as mine wasnt big enough for all the people. Just family and friends as they dont go to nursery or anything really at that age. Can you have it at a friends or relations house?

tiffini Sat 07-May-05 12:29:36

do you have a large soft play area near you, or a whacky warehouse that has an area suitable for babies.

SPARKLER1 Sat 07-May-05 12:33:57

I find that local church halls are very reasonable to hire. You could contact a bouncy castle company and see if they are some soft play equipment and ball pool to loan you.

mogwai Sat 07-May-05 13:24:15

Unless you want to have the same expense every year for your child and any ohters that come along, why not just keep it low key, have close faily and friends and a huge cake? It's not like she'll understand!

My neighbours have twins, they started that malarkey on their first birthday and regret the day they did - the twins are six now and expect huge parties every year, with their whole class invited. The last one cost over 300 pounds!

I must admit, I don't get all this party stuff, not until children are old enough to understand. I went to some as a "childless" person and they looked horrifically tiring for all concerned.

coldtea Sat 07-May-05 13:32:19

Babygibbon, i wanted to do the same when ds was 1. We invited 80 people& asked them to come for a drink anytime from 1pm(i think). I don't think i had anymore than 40 people in my house at any one time. People came in dribs & drabs & celebrated with us. The only trouble with this is that you could come very unstuck!

My friend had time slots. She invited friends between 2-4pm & family after 4pm. We were all clear about what she was doing so we didn't feel uncomfortable when we had to leave.

Ponka Sat 07-May-05 13:49:11

Just about to do a similar thing, cold tea.

DS is 1 at the end of May. I've invited about 30. I've said open house from 2pm onwards late into the evening. That way, they don't all come at once. If the weather is nice, we can go out into the garden and perhaps BBQ, if not, party food inside.

I'll let you know if it works babygibbon!

ionesmum Sat 07-May-05 14:02:13

Both our dds celebarated their first birthdays with lunch in our local!

babygibbon Mon 09-May-05 11:10:08

Thank you very much for the ideas. I think I will keep it lower key, and I love the idea of a barbecue...let me know how yours goes Ponka.
I have to admit, at one, this party is definitely more for me and DH than DD! I'm sure that will change next year though.

babsieboo Thu 04-Sep-08 16:03:23

would just like to ask whether anyone has any ideas for first birthday party food? will invite children (all under one year) and some adults. What about activities? Can see websites with party accessories, but nothing else. Can anyone help? (It does not help me that I am first in our little group to have to do this, feel like i am setting a precedent or something).

babsieboo Thu 04-Sep-08 16:05:24

would just like to ask whether anyone has any ideas for first birthday party food? The birthday will be in October, not the loveliest month! Will invite children (all under one year) and some adults. What about activities? Can see websites with party accessories, but nothing else. Can anyone help? (It does not help me that I am first in our little group to have to do this, feel like i am setting a precedent or something).

hayley2u Fri 05-Sep-08 14:17:37

if all children are all under 1 just put out some of your bab ies toys and let them play, i have my daughters 1 st birthday next week and as i have a n oldere child and several other children coming i have ordered a bouncy castle only 40 pound,, i am having it in a football club that my dad runs so we get that for free, just need to fill with decorations and my friends baby is 1 2 days after mine so having a joint 1st pink party.

food ideas ill be doing babsieboo:
sandwiches with crusts tasken off
coctail sausages
sausage rolls
crisps
bread sticks
fairy cakes
slicces of pizza
biscuits
fruit
cheese
yoghurts

mumblechum Fri 05-Sep-08 14:19:06

Um, why are you replying to a threee year old thread????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now