Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's to do in Kendal? WITH children

(25 Posts)
roisin Fri 06-May-05 10:28:10

With dss (5 and 7) on Saturday. Not shopping!

I know there's a museum, (though not the one I thought was there, which is in Keswick! )
Is it worth a visit?

What else is there to do?

I feel I ought to know, but I don't.
I've only been to Kendal a couple of times, and always just shopping without kids.

roisin Fri 06-May-05 10:44:07

Fio2 Fri 06-May-05 10:46:59

There are lots of nice walks in surrounding countryside. Its not that far from windermere is it? with the bots and things

sorry it has sadly been a few years since I have been to Kendal and the Lake District unluckily. beautiful part of the world

roisin Fri 06-May-05 10:52:42

Thanks Fio. We actually live in Cumbria (lucky us, I know!) so see a lot of lakes, mountains, etc.

But dh has to be in Kendal for 4 hrs on Saturday, and I'm deliberating whether it's worth taking the kids for the day, or not.

Janh Fri 06-May-05 10:58:51

Have a look through these , roisin.

Janh Fri 06-May-05 11:00:26

Museum of Lakeland Life?

Janh Fri 06-May-05 11:01:41

Abbot Hall Art Gallery

Janh Fri 06-May-05 11:04:08

Quaker Tapestry exhibition centre

jampots Fri 06-May-05 11:04:19

Not sure about Kendal itself but not far away there is a place called Sizergh Barns which is excellent.

\link{http://www.low-sizergh-barn.co.uk\Low Sizergh Barn)

jampots Fri 06-May-05 11:04:52

Low Sizergh Barn

Marina Fri 06-May-05 11:05:43

You were hoping for Cars of the Stars weren't you Roisin!

Janh Fri 06-May-05 11:06:25

Sizergh Castle too .

Janh Fri 06-May-05 11:06:51

No, Marina, it will have been the pencils

Marina Fri 06-May-05 11:08:18

I think the pencils feature in the Framley Examiner's exciting new publication Bollocks to Alton Towers: the uncommon British Day Out

JoolsToo Fri 06-May-05 11:08:36

I don't know either! - maybe I'll learn something today - its usually shopping for me.

Or walking round Kentmere if you want to get fit!

roisin Fri 06-May-05 11:09:25

Oh fab thanks - Museum of Lakeland Life looks good - Swallows & Amazons Exhibition on.
I've wanted to see the Quaker Tapestry for ages, but it's closed on Saturdays
The Keswick museum I wanted to go to was The Puzzling Place ... sorry to disappoint you both

Marina Fri 06-May-05 11:09:57

I was so embarrassed when ds aged four shouted, "Oh look mummy, they have a Costa here" on our last wet-weather trip to Kendal
Whose Southern townie child was that then?

Marina Fri 06-May-05 11:10:34

Oooh, that's new Roisin, we'll mark our cards.

roisin Fri 06-May-05 11:13:58

Thanks for all the suggestions - I just had a complete blank. I only go to Kendal when I need the sort of shops you don't get here: Monsoon, Laura Ashley, proper shoe shops, big M&S, Costa, etc.!

Oh and Janh I've been to Sizergh Castle on a Saturday before ... it's closed on Saturdays!
We haven't yet made it there when it's been open.

Janh Fri 06-May-05 11:25:23

What is the matter with these places, what are they thinking of, closing on Saturdays? Quite mad.

Lakeland Life museum does look interesting, roisin. (And in September you could go again and see "Slipware from the Synge-Craven Collection"!)

I always get Keswick and Kendal mixed up - I know one is near and one is far but can never remember which is which.

roisin Sat 07-May-05 08:40:58

I'm glad I'm not the only one Janh! I also get Portsmouth and Plymouth confused

Unfortunately ds1 is poorly, he's had a dreadful night, so we can't go today anyway. But I will file all these suggestions and we'll go one day later in the year and explore.

Janh Sat 07-May-05 11:18:30

And Stockport and Southport (actually I don't now because DH works at Stockport but I used to)

Sorry about DS1, poor lamb, hope he gets some sleep and feels better soon.

JoolsToo Sat 07-May-05 11:20:21

hi roisin is it the same on who was unwell before? hope he's feeling better.

Jan - you a Mancunian?

Janh Sat 07-May-05 11:21:46

No, I'm a suvner, JT. Live in Lancs and DH commutes.

JoolsToo Sat 07-May-05 11:30:15

I'll probably be passing your house today then!

going from Cumbria to Manchester - babysitting for GDG!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now