Talk

Advanced search

Beconscott Model Village

(20 Posts)
mckenzie Sun 01-May-05 07:26:07

anyone been? Is it any good and for what age groups would it suit do youthink please?

thanks in anvance.

Ameriscot2005 Sun 01-May-05 07:49:21

It's a good outing - but you are only there for about an hour.

It's great for toddlers who love trains; older kids would have to have a very good attitude to enjoy it.

suzywong Sun 01-May-05 07:51:31

she's right you know, and also the carpark is a bit of a schelp. I have very happy memories of visiting it just before we left England.

muminlondon Sun 01-May-05 07:59:35

The car park is a few metres away - there are two car parks, one is a local authority one, so I don't understand that comment.

It's fantastic - brilliant for toddlers, probably would catch the imagination of children up to 6 or 7. If not, there's a playground and a little train. It's really lovely and I'd recommend it.

Ameriscot2005 Sun 01-May-05 08:09:19

You park across the road in the church car park (next to Waitrose). Apart from the road (not busy) to cross, it's not a problem. The day out involves walking anyway so you have to be geared up for it.

If you are taking little ones that need a pram, you need a narrow buggy (Maclaren type is fine) or a backpack. They will lend them out if necessary.

mckenzie Sun 01-May-05 09:10:11

thanks very much everyone.

suzywong Sun 01-May-05 10:12:06

mum in london, I found it a schlep with a dawdling toddler and a babe in arms

hunkermunker Sun 01-May-05 11:01:03

I think it's fantastic there - used to go when I was a toddler! Can't wait for DS to be able to walk round and peer in the windows of the little houses and wait for the trains to come round!

The playground's a more recent addition (well, it's probably been there about a decade or more...!) but that's good too.

There's more info here, in case you hadn't seen the website

hunkermunker Sun 01-May-05 11:01:52

Just seen on the website - there's a 360 degree view of Bekonscot

Ameriscot2005 Sun 01-May-05 14:12:12

The playground has been there at least 10 years, HM. It was there when we first went and DS is now 13.

What is really nice about The Model Village is that they keep adding new things, so even if you've been in previous years, there is still something new to see. It is so detailed, I can't think of anything that is "missing" from it.

Am now energised to take DD3 before we get into the half-day nursery school routine in September. It's only 30 - 40 minutes from us.

mckenzie Sun 01-May-05 19:40:44

thanks very much. I was spelling it wrongly so thats why I couldn't find the website. lets just hope the sunshine is out to make it a nice day.

jane313 Sun 01-May-05 19:45:48

My friends went last week and I hope to go next week. They said its definitely a fair weather place, ie nowhere it go if it rains, (the cafe is a kiosk with outdoor seating). It entertained the almost 2 yr olds that went. I can't wait, I always wanted to go to one as a child

JanH Sun 01-May-05 19:48:48

I went when I was little (and that is a long time ago!)

jane313 Sun 08-May-05 15:34:29

I went last week, place was very sweet but was heaving co it wwas the election I think and tons of school groups too. It was really no good for my toddler (22 m) because he wanted to get into each display and play with the people and the trains. It was torture for him. It would be better for children who are happy to just look rather than touch. My friends child was fine just looking!

AUBINA Tue 10-May-05 14:30:35

My family, girls of 7 and 5 and husband (him especially) love the model village, we have been going twice a year for the past 3 years. My husband went when he was a child and he is 53!

We live in London and it is very easy to reach by train from Marylebone. There are signposts once you arrive at Beconsfield.

Once you get there it is very well thought out and can appeal on many levels. The little ones like the trains and the big ones like the details, check out the shop names. There is a picnic area and a cafe so we take our own lunch and have a cake or ice cream later.

We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

unicorn Tue 10-May-05 14:33:35

jane313... I had exactly the same problem with my ds when we took him last year (when he was 2)

We're hoping now that he is 3 he will be able to 'cope' a bit better with just watching the trains etc....

I reckon it must be absolute torture for them to 'look but don't touch!!'

highlight Wed 11-May-05 15:09:30

My 6 year old has his birthday party there last year and it was fantastic we had 20 little darlings plus a room for tea with balloons and finished up with a ride on the train for them all. My 8 year old and her friend also enjoyed it they do a quiz for older kids to do as they walk round which kept them happy. and as an added bonus the party bags they supplied were really good with quality presents in.

Hausfrau Wed 11-May-05 20:02:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aloha Wed 11-May-05 20:08:39

I used to love it when I was a child. That and Ruislip Lido...aah, innocent days. Would like to take ds.

jane313 Tue 17-May-05 20:39:04

the lido could be great but the sand is so full of litter and broken glass everywhere. Also you can't paddle as there are signs everywhere that there is some poisonous algae in the water. This didn't stop load of families with children and babies going in there! Nice playground equipment though.

Glad I'm not the only one with a "curious toddler!" unicorn. If I have another one I'm ordering one of those passive one; must be a doddle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now