Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

North Lakes/Penrith ideas?

(10 Posts)
Lizzylou Wed 27-Apr-05 11:36:17

We are stopping near to Penrith for a couple of days en route to friends wedding in Dumfries in August...anyone got any ideas for nice days out for me, DH and DS (who will then be 17mths)??

misdee Wed 27-Apr-05 11:46:16

i went to penrith last year. didnt do much weather was awful and we went to a BBQ at greystoke castle (bad taste bear event). we did stop by a weird shoppinmg centre thingy, which was bu8ilt into the rock. was very lovely in there, behind a petrol station IIRC.

Marina Wed 27-Apr-05 11:47:04

Acorn Bank is a National Trust property nearby (Temple Sowerby I think); if the weather is bad you may want to get a day ticket to the Centreparcs Oasis Whinfell swimming pool complex; Ullswater is the nearest Lake to Penrith and has steamers and lovely lakeside walks (but gets horribly crowded in peak season with severe parking problems at Glenridding and Patterdale); the Village Bakery at Melmerby produces excellent organic baked goods and has a nice tea-room (there is also a nice, family-friendly pub, The Shepherd's Arms, in the village); there is also the new Rheged Discovery Centre near Penrith...a good wet weather destination I'd have thought, but haven't been there myself yet.

misdee Wed 27-Apr-05 11:48:17

at Ulswater, they is a lovely place to stay the brackenrigg inn. great views of the lake.

Blu Wed 27-Apr-05 11:57:22

I can't remember how far it is, but down the far side of Haweswater there is a short lakeside walk which leads to a viewpoint for nesting eagles.

Aira Force waterfall - half way down Ullswater, has a car park, national trust, short walk to waterfalls.

That fudge shop is in Penrith.

I would just picnic on the edge of the lake and let DS throw pebbles in the water, and watch the sheep if the weather is nice.

Lizzylou Wed 27-Apr-05 12:05:28

Thanks all, I am really looking forward to August now!
I am looking for places to stay too, ideally on a farm or nice B&B (Oasis only do 3 day stays, but the day pas is a great idea), so any recommendations will be gratefully accepted!

Anteater Wed 27-Apr-05 12:13:13

try www.mellfell.co.uk 15 mins from junction 40.
Lowther show is on 5, 6 and 7th of August..

grumpyfrumpy Sat 30-Apr-05 15:03:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anteater Sat 30-Apr-05 15:45:54

If you do go to Penrith watch the Parking, tickets are issued with great ease..

Penrith itself is perhaps not a No1 destination for visitors, but within a few mins drive there are some of top spots..

Take the A66 from Penrith to Keswick (about 20 mins of great views) Head for the Theatre car park, pay and display. Walk down to the lake and feed the ducks, geese, swans etc with the bag of bread you boughht with you (DS will love this..!)
Now take the short walk to Friars cragg, splendid views. If its a nice day hire a rowing boat for a row round the Island, also a small cruiser type boat goes round the lake.
For lunch walk into Keswick (thro underpass), the first cafe on the right is called Masons, do very good wholefood, another 20 yards on the right is George Fishers, cafe on top floor is excellent with kids.. Our children love a Keswick day.

The Ullswater steamer may be of interest, park at Glenridding.

A walk up to the waterfalls at Aira force is worthwhile.

Eden Ostrich world may be a little old for DS.

Avoid the softplay at Rheged in August, complete nightmare in August..

Check to see if there are any village shows on, these are always brillant and worth seeking out. If you post your dates I will have a look..

EmilyD Fri 13-May-05 08:41:32

There are a load of places here in that area - also if you add your own reviews of places you can go into a draw to win one of two organix hampers this month

For cumbria there are these places listed cumbrialistings

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now