Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Going on hols to Ilfracombe

(17 Posts)
clarelily Mon 18-Apr-05 23:27:55

Hello, Could anyone tell what there is to do around Ilfracombe or Bideford or Barnstable?,I have 19 month old Daughter

jampots Mon 18-Apr-05 23:41:28

theres a dinosaur and wildlife park, the beach, quad biking/pony riding, the beach, and thats about it really.

swiperfox Wed 20-Apr-05 18:57:52

Woolacombe beach is lovely - she'll love it there. When the yide is out theres miles of flat sand to let her run wild on!!!

If you get a chance, see if you can get to Lee Bay. It's a tiny picturesque (sp!) bay where you walk out through hundreds of rock pools to a tiny beach. Really gorgeous and very quiet - not many people know about it

bagpussmice Tue 26-Apr-05 20:56:31

We've been to Croyde (near Braunton) loads of times, prekids and with them... It's a fab seaside resort which hasn't been spoilt. The beach is fantastic and there are just a few pubs/surf shops and real icecream shops/tearooms etc...
In the area there are some park/farm type attractions... The Big Sheep, with indoor play area and Dinasour World or Land can't remember... is good. Also on the road between Ilfracombe and Coombe Martin there is a castle which has rides and attractions in it's grounds... can't remember the name, but it's very good. In fact, there are loads of things to do in the area... but if the weather's good all the beaches round that way are lovely anyway!
Oh, and in Croyde there is a Ruda Holiday Caravan Park which has an indoor pool which I believe is open to non-residents - but I would check this first, esp. in high season.
hth.

Jayzmummy Thu 28-Apr-05 18:56:31

I live in Croyde....so can tell you that the castle is called Watermouth and is excellent for toddlers.Its situated on the main road out of Ilfracombe, heading for Morthoe. Ruda pool, in Croyde, is called Cascades and is open to the public from 10am -5pm....ideal for a rainy day, although does get busy.Whirl pools, baby slides ...very child friendly.

Once upon a Time at the top of Woolacombe hill is a must for little ones. Big Sheep on the A39 Barnstaple to Bideford road, is a must for any visitor with children....you can feed the baby lambs there at the moment.
You have to sample the delights of the food at The Thatch Barn Inn, Croyde....Nachos are to die for....next door is the sister pub, Billy Budds...and this has an excellent play fort in the garden for the little ones to play on whilst you have a glass of the red stuff.
Decent pubs to eat in around Ilfracombe arent really there....but Cook island on the main Mullacott Island is fine and does a wicked sunday carvery...also have a good childrens room with lots of soft play equipment.

Word of warning.....traffic through Barnstaple to Ilfracombe is a nightmare during rush hour....what should be a 30 min journey will take you well over an hour between 4.30 and 6pm....so bear that in mind when you are planning your days out.

Have fun....this is a lovely place to holiday in....and an even lovelier place to live.

katylou25 Thu 28-Apr-05 19:04:05

ooohh .. I'm going to Woolacombe the week after next I cn't wait was a SUN £9.50 bargain and we been upgraded cos taking a 'iccle baba' with us - am quoting woman i spoke to on the phone! Hubby wants to go to the dinasour park but think at 3 mnths DS might not appreciate it too much!

katylou25 Thu 28-Apr-05 19:05:00

oops forgot to say any more pub recommendations send em my way! Can see myself chilling ina pub garden with a chilled glass to hand!

Jayzmummy Thu 28-Apr-05 23:14:36

Word of warning....The Dinosaur Park is on quite a few steep slopes and lots of steps....so is a bit of a nightmare when pushing, pulling, dragging, lifting and heaving the pram around.....good fun though...lots to see and the Dinosaurs are excellent.

katylou....which park are you staying at....Twitchen or Woolacombe Bay?

The Red Barn is a decent boozer and there are brilliant views of the beach...foods not that brilliant though!!!! Hubby hates the soggy food in there!!!

I walk my dog every morning across the beach...so if you see a mad bedraggled creature chasing after a crazy puppy with her wee man running in the opposite direction....that'll be me!!!!

Jayzmummy Thu 28-Apr-05 23:20:39

If you want a taste of a good old devon village pub which does the most wonderous food then check out The Rock Inn at Georgeham. They will give you directions from the holiday park....but basically its at the other end of Woolacoombe beach (Putsborough....which my childrens godparents family own!!)

The food is really scrummy....check out the Fish specials...really are very good. The pub is a 16th century coaching Inn and has all the wonderful beamed ceilings etc....and the resident local farmer boys will be sat in the corner supping their pints!!!

The book Tarka the Otter was mostly written in this pub and the seat were Henry Williamson sat whilst writing the book is still there!!!

bagpussmice Fri 29-Apr-05 18:30:18

jayzmummy - you lucky thing living in Croyde - oh how jealous I am!!!! how long have you lived there?

Jayzmummy Fri 29-Apr-05 23:20:10

15 years now...hubbys family are locals...would never leave to go back to the rat race....enjoy the slow pace of life here far to much.

fee77 Fri 15-Jul-05 15:45:59

Just refreshing this as we are off to coombe martin with 21mth old dd, with a sand phobia! Any one any new ideas?

fee77 Fri 15-Jul-05 15:46:51

Oh and jayzmummy, i recognise you from the craft threads, are there any cool crafty shops for me to escape to?

anorak Fri 15-Jul-05 15:51:31

jayzmummy I can't believe you live in Croyde! I had a lovely week there in the middle of winter a coupe of years ago in one of the apartments right on one side of the beach.

We drank in Billy Budds, which we liked cos it had a pool table (have I got the right pub) and quiz machine.

We had two lovely meals in a restaurant set back a bit from the road just opposite the pubs, can't remember the name of it, St something. Lovely couple running it and gorgeous food.

Also recommend Woolacombe beach and Lee bay. Had two happy holidays in Woolacombe as a teenager and the trip to Lee was a must.

janeybops Fri 15-Jul-05 16:16:37

saunton sands is great beach - nice dunes. for rock pools go to Croyde. Ilfracombe - think you can take oat rides out to Lundy Island.

anorak Fri 15-Jul-05 16:28:12

oats are a bit small to take the weight of a family though

jamese Fri 15-Jul-05 20:32:57

Jayzmummy my best friend from school now lives in Croyde - do you know her, Liz Greenway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now