Talk

Advanced search

Hadrian's wall

(7 Posts)
katsing Thu 19-Feb-09 08:42:52

We'll be driving down from Edinburgh to Manchester so I thought we could stop to visit Hadrian's wall on the way. Does anyone have any suggestions where to go? The visitor's centre is closed on weekdays at this time of the year.

pointydog Thu 19-Feb-09 12:46:55

We went to Housesteads and Vindolanda one March. A great trip if your dc are old enough to walk about a fair bit and take an interest in archeology.

katsing Fri 20-Feb-09 16:58:40

Thanks for the suggestions. DD is doing the Romans at school so it was a good practical demonstration!

pointydog Fri 20-Feb-09 17:03:20

yes, we also went to coincide with a school project on teh Romans grin

ChippyMinton Wed 24-Jun-09 21:54:29

Bump for more info. I am planning a visit en-route to somewhere else, and wondered if there was enough there to merit an overnight stay? Maybe in the oddly-named Once Brewed Youth Hostel.

geordieminx Wed 24-Jun-09 22:03:41

There is a nice fish farm near Brampton, a lovely farm shop/tea room called Brockbushes on the A69 at Corbridge, Hexham and Corbridge are nice towns to have a wee mooch about.

Wallington Hall is nice which is just off the A696, as is Bolam Lakes. (not sure which road you are taking down?)

There used to be a big activity centre at Otterburn that did mountain biking/archery/type things for kids, but its about 15 years since I have been so not sure whether its still on.

Gilsland, Housesteds and Vindolanda are all nice.

If you end up coming down the A1 there is a lovely farm just before Morpeth called Whitehouse Farm, and a great pub just off the A1 called... er the Ridley Arms at Stannington.

ChippyMinton Thu 25-Jun-09 20:12:08

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now