Talk

Advanced search

Day out in London with ds (3.5) and dd (12mo)....any thoughts?

(14 Posts)
fillybuster Tue 17-Feb-09 12:12:01

Sorry if this is a repeat...

I live in N London and want to take ds and dd out somewhere tomorrow (say 10-3ish)...obviously I've got a buggy and a toddler so would prefer to avoid the tube as there's a lot of stairs at my local station. buses are fine Any suggestions about fun things to do?

will the science museum be totally rammed? ds has gone to london zoo today with his gran so I'd like to do something different.

thanks

Picante Tue 17-Feb-09 12:13:18

Trouble is as you know it's half term. Don't do aquarium or London Eye as there are always massive queues.

I'm sure someone will be along with more helpful suggestions!

fillybuster Tue 17-Feb-09 12:15:58

Half term is why I'm trying to make it a day out - ds is normally in nursery until 3.30pm so I thought we'd do something special (Weds is my day 'off'....ahem....). We practically live at the RAF museum, so not going there...ds is desperate to go to the science musuem but i think it will be rammed....help!!!

nigeltuffnell Tue 17-Feb-09 12:24:35

Last weekend we went to the park in Kensington Gardens, by the Queensway entrance.

There's a fantastic playground area with a massive pirate ship, giant musical instruments, little tree houses as well as more ordinary stuff like swings.

And it's free!
Really good cafe too although lots of people took picnics.
Obviously is weather dependent but it's looking milder.
Took DS 19 months and DN 2yrs, both bit young but loved it!

MrsMattie Tue 17-Feb-09 12:28:01

The Science museum will, in all honesty, be hideous.

I took 4 yr old DS to the Aquarium yesterday - a load of over priced, tatty nonsense, imo! Although the South Bank itself was lovely - lots of street entertainers out and about, the little playground near the Eye, an old fashioned merry go round, even went down on to the sandy 'beach' beside the Thames and had a little play with some other kids - oh, and he was fascinated by the skaters / BMX-ers under the underpass! (a bright, breezy day, though - had it rained it might have been less fun?). We ended up in the Royal festival Hall, which was rammed with klids but quite pleasant,a s they could run about freely. They have a free children's literature festival there at the moment with poetry and activities in the foyer (although most of the kids weren't paying any attention and were just marauding happily grin).

What about one of the city farms? Kentish Town?

Or Kew? You can get the train on the north London (Silverlink) line I think- much more civilised than the tube!

MrsMattie Tue 17-Feb-09 12:29:02

kids, not 'klids' grin

fillybuster Tue 17-Feb-09 14:23:36

Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually, I'd forgotten all about trains vs tube...although I don't live near either but could do Finchley to Kentish Town then onto trains - ds would love it!

Was looking at the city farms; College Farm is just up the road is but sadly shut at the moment, but think we're going to go
here as its only £2.75 entry and apparently they've got an indoor and outdoor play area as well as the animals....a sort of cheaper version of Willows Farm, I hope

I would totally do the South Bank with just my 3.5yo ds but it would pretty much leave dd stuck in her buggy all day as she's barely crawling....

MrsMattie Tue 17-Feb-09 14:49:50

Looks great. You live really near to me, I think@filly! grin.

Have you been to Paradise Park in Broxborne? Best if you're driving, but quite good for young children.

Enjoy!

fillybuster Tue 17-Feb-09 15:14:30

Thanks MrsMattie - that looks good but I'm in N2 so its quite a drive and not that cheap, so one to keep for the summer I think! I've bookmarked it, though, as I can see it being a winner in a few months time, come the Easter hols

lisalisa Thu 19-Feb-09 12:24:42

And you live near to me fillybuster - I think I'll go to lincolnsfields tomorrow - had been looking for somewhere to go - saw that the £2,75 entry fee is only for farmworld though - how much extra is the soft play?

Marina1974 Thu 19-Feb-09 20:40:10

Here is a link for the soft play, cost is £4.95. I guess this is per child so not that cheap

www.funkykidz.biz/

I have been there once to a party and it was quite good, it used to be Topsy Turvy world and is similar to the one in Brent Cross if you have been there.
Although I live nearby am not sure what the farm is like and do not know anyone who has been. Let me know what it is like. Have a nice day out.

fabbiemamma Thu 19-Feb-09 20:42:33

london dungeons

frankie3 Fri 20-Feb-09 18:07:36

Parents Paradise is near Topsy Turvey World and is really good, and the new soft play in Watford next to cinemais expensive but has bumper cars and climbing wall. Last time I went to Lincolnsfield I was really disappointed as it seemed really unclean with loads of peacock poo over all the play equipment. If you went there was it good?

olivia09 Tue 03-Mar-09 08:27:47

hi i went to willow farm the other week its absolutly brilliant it was anice sunny day try their...x good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now