Talk

Advanced search

london in half term,travel and food on a budget

(13 Posts)
frazzled74 Mon 09-Feb-09 09:45:05

can anyone advise me of the cheapest way to travel by tube, 2 adults and 1 child, need to make 2 journeys on one day. charing x to south kensington and south kensington to tower hill. Also any recomendations for cheap family friendly places to eat around tower bridge area ,as this is where the travel lodge that we are staying at is.all suggestions appreciated.

mumblechum Mon 09-Feb-09 11:21:05

Just get a day travel card. Your child should be free, I think, depending on age. Suggest you look at the TfL website for ticket prices.

Sorry, don't know any good cheap restaurants round Tower Bridge, but generally Wagamama are reasonable, child friendly and healthy.

BadgerQueen Wed 11-Feb-09 13:05:19

Not sure there is much round Tower Bridge but if there is a Strada there are often 2 for 1 deals on the martin lewis money saving site:

moneysavingexpert.com

There's more cheap stuff towrads Liverpool Street or over the river.

If you get a family travel card I think you can use it on buses too.

GossipMonger Wed 11-Feb-09 13:07:15

Pizza Express are doing meals for £10 pp atm so look on their website and print off the voucher.

Go on a voucher website and print some off in the hope that you will come across some restaurants while you are there.

Fennel Wed 11-Feb-09 13:09:03

We found it cheapest to get oyster cards (which cost £3) and not bother with travel cards, with the oyster card you pay as you go, but if you spend more in a day than you would with a day travelcard it stops charging. So you can't lose. and children go free on the buses and trains and tubes if you have it.

Molesworth Wed 11-Feb-09 13:15:36

ideas for cheap eats:

Maoz falafel bar in Old Compton Street if you're around Soho
The Canton in Chinatown (Newport Place) - fab food and v reasonably priced
Curry joints up Brick Lane
Vietnamese food up Kingsland Road
Branches of Masala Zone for lovely cheap Indian street food
Branches of Carluccio's for excellent Italian food (often do a set menu for less than a tenner for starter/salad + main + coffee)

none of them on the doorstep of Tower Hill exactly, but they are cheap and good!

Molesworth Wed 11-Feb-09 13:18:00

PS there is a Carluccio's at South Ken

also a fab Polish restaurant called Daquise at South Ken for lovely comfort food

frankie3 Wed 11-Feb-09 18:21:02

Quite a few good places to eat at London Bridge, a great place to be, and some of them overlook the River. There is a Strada, Nandos, Pizza Express, and DimT which has a money off voucher on moneysaving website.

frazzled74 Thu 12-Feb-09 14:06:48

thanks for all these tips, off to find some vouchers !

Rhubarb Thu 12-Feb-09 14:08:24

I was hoping to take the kids to London for the day over half term. We've a family and friends railcard and are an hour and 20mins outside London, but the fares are still so high I can't afford it sad

Molesworth Thu 12-Feb-09 17:05:10

Train fares are bloody ridiculous aren't they? I paid £36.50 to go from London to Suffolk the other week, one way! Total rip off.

Mind you, if you book several billion years in advance they are a lot cheaper. Or coach?

mumblechum Fri 13-Feb-09 11:54:48

Rhubarb, have you thought about parking at the outer limits of the tube system? I & ds can get from Amersham into london with a day travel card for a total of £10, but it would be over £20 to go on Chiltrern rail from Wycombe, just 6 miles away from Amersham.

Rhubarb Fri 13-Feb-09 13:32:59

Good thought, but I've never driven to London before and dh uses the car to get to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now