Talk

Advanced search

Things to do with a 5 year old and two under 1 within an hour of Reading!?!

(9 Posts)
fairimum Sun 08-Feb-09 21:44:22

I am a nanny in Berkshire, usually have my DD 8 months and their DD just turned 1, in the holidays I have their DS who is 5 (although acts more like many 7 year olds!) - anyhow have long lists of days out we can do when the weather is warmer just need some ideas for the cold weather - just been told his half term is this week and not next (they wrote it down wrong!) - so tomorrow are planning on going to the look out (not taken him inside yet and hoping room for the double buggy, think is a lift for upstairs bit?)

But what else can we do? remember reading on here (i think) about a farm Newbury way but have since lost the my favourites!

Any other ideas greatly appreciated!! we have a nipper 360 double buggy so it is access for that that is my biggest issue!

pickupthismess Sun 08-Feb-09 23:26:55

www.livingrainforest.org
(can be got round with a double buggy, often have activities in the half term - take layers, can be very hot in the greenhouses)

http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/lookout/ (lookout discovery centre - would be good for their DS)

http://www.bealepark.co.uk/index.php
(one junction along the motorway - zoo, train, play areas, cafe, lake - really nice but mainly outdoors)

Corriewatcher Sun 15-Feb-09 18:18:28

Depending on what side of Reading you are, you could try Odds Farm Park or Bekonscot Model Village near Beaconsfield. Odds Farm Park is a good children's farm and now has a small soft play area for little ones as well as a haybarn and big slide for older children. Like most places in half-term it gets busy when the weather is poor and everyone is crammed inside though.

Even when my children were very little they loved the Model Village, and they still do. I wouldn't bother going if it rains though cos there is only limited shelter. Beaconsfield is about 45 mins from centre of Reading. HTH

chocolateshoes Sun 15-Feb-09 19:08:36

there is a good soft play area called Mad House (I think) by the Madeski Stadium.

mummyineedyounow Sun 15-Feb-09 20:43:33

Bucklebury Farm is lovely but as its mainly outdoors you would need dry weather.

lunavix Fri 20-Feb-09 08:43:12

I don't know if the living rainforest is open still as they've just had a fire

There's the Action Farm which is again some indoors some out. However we go there on Christmas Eve so not too bad.

scienceteacher Fri 20-Feb-09 08:44:53

The Lookout at Bracknell is great fun - either inside in the Science area, or outside in that fabulous adventure playground.

ForeverOptimistic Fri 20-Feb-09 08:52:01

Beale Wildlife park great for little ones.

Milliways Sat 28-Feb-09 19:35:30

ANother Vote for Odds Farm Park - it's great!

We spent one school holidays visiting a different park each day. Palmer Park has a good play area, Prospect Park, The meadows at Pangbourne (so also get to feed ducks and walk along the river), Rivermaead and others in Caversham. All free!! Better for warm weather but if they are running around they keep warm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now