Talk

Advanced search

We need to go to MIlborne St Andrew today and fancy a walk afterwards, can anyone reccomend somewhere

(10 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Sun 08-Feb-09 11:02:21

Thanks.

Racingsnake Sun 08-Feb-09 23:47:31

Too late for this time, but go a little further to Milton Abbas and there are loads of great walks. Try them next time. It rained this afternoon anyway.

twinsetandpearls Mon 09-Feb-09 00:06:35

Rain does not put us off! We put on our wellies and went walking around Hardy's cottage.

twinsetandpearls Mon 09-Feb-09 00:07:00

But we will try Milton Abbas next weekend.

Racingsnake Mon 09-Feb-09 18:20:36

Try Throncombe woods (around Hardy's cottage) in the autumn, too. Lots of interesting toadstools inc fly agaric like in a book of fairy tales.

Around Milton Abbas - there's a nice walk along the lake and up through the village, or a longer walk up through the village, off through a short cut to the left after the old school, up steep path, turn right through council estate, left up lane to junction at top, left along lane going up over Bulbarrow Hill then left again into Forestry Commision wood and walk all the way back down. You can come out down by Milton Abbas school, which has a great abbey to look at. Once we found a nest of robins in the lectern and a nest of bees in the walls!

twinsetandpearls Mon 09-Feb-09 20:19:20

We did go walking in those woods as well and found some beautiful virgin powdery snow.

Thanks for the Miton Abbas tip, I love abbeys - great for photos and a safe bet for an RE teacher.

Racingsnake Tue 10-Feb-09 21:28:05

Read the story of the founding of the abbey (in v small print on left-hand side of big arch way inside). I've forgotten the exact details, but the founder built it in penance after punishing his brother for some crime by setting him out to sea without food or water to perish alone apart from his servant. Feel that was hard on the servant.

Another great walk - from the top of Bulbarrow, through DWT reserve called Green Something, then down into Milton Abbas. Bit of a hike back up, though.

Have you ever been to Salisbury Cathedral if you like abbeys? I love going round with the volunteer guides and listening to their stories. There's a great one about a skull, a rat, poison and a crusader. They didn't want to tell it to my class of 8-year olds in case it upset them (They loved it, of course)

twinsetandpearls Wed 11-Feb-09 18:09:10

Yes we went to Salisbury the other week and I loved it, is a close rival to Durham as one of my favoutite buildings.

Racingsnake Wed 11-Feb-09 20:43:00

Listen to the stories one day with the guides. They are great, each one is different and some are very eccentric. Went to Durham years ago but all I can remember is the graffiti from the invading scots!

Have you been to Sherborne Abbey? Also good walks I can recommend, great little cafe I could direct you to, mirrow on wheels for ceiling viewing, floods and fires, skeleton for dc's to view if of an appropriate age.

twinsetandpearls Wed 11-Feb-09 21:10:00

I have not been to Sherborne yet, another one on our list. We are so lucky living here. I still have to pinch myself sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now