Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Planning a day in London for half term week

(13 Posts)
Jampot Fri 30-Jan-09 09:07:06

We're taking the children to London for the day during half term. The children are nearly 16 and 12. I was thinking of using those hop on hop off tour bus things but how good are they? They definitely want to go to Natural History Museum and Tussauds and ds wants to go on HMS Belfast. Will we fit this all into one day?

MarsLady Fri 30-Jan-09 10:14:00

When Jammie? We could meet up at some point. That would be lovely! smile

hifi Fri 30-Jan-09 10:46:39

the buses are great, you could do the museum and ship. most people i know have been disappointed with tussauds.

Jampot Fri 30-Jan-09 12:51:36

ah interesting hifi. Will see what they say about that then.

Mars we're looking at 18th Feb Would love to meet up with you

MarsLady Fri 30-Jan-09 15:11:33

I agree. Stay away from over priced Tussauds. I mean for that price you'd think they could get skin colour right on their models. I have yet to meet a purple black man/woman. Plus... how boring to walk around looking at... waxwork dummies of schlebs! I took a friend and her dd there. It was all I could do not to throw myself under the tube!

lucasnorth Fri 06-Feb-09 18:37:38

I agree about Tussauds. Was dragged there kicking and screaming by SIL and it was the biggest waste of money ever. So many better things to do in London.

I think by the time you've done the NHM and HMS Belfast, and gone on the bus between, and found some lunch, you'll be struggling to fit anything else in anyway. Unless you go for a 2-day trip?!

PrimulaVeris Fri 06-Feb-09 18:45:54

Another anti-Tussauds one here

You could do NHM in morning and Belfast in afternoon quite easily ... though prepare for queues and both of them being packed. I think both open at 10am

May be worth checking HMS Belfast website to see if they do pre-book timed tickets. NHM don't except for special pay-for exhibitions.

MarmadukeScarlet Fri 06-Feb-09 18:48:33

Not that you had mentioned it but, the London Aquarium is half closed at the mo.

nancy75 Fri 06-Feb-09 18:49:19

mme tussards is awful, queues are long, its expensive, its always packed and the dummies are rubbish!
the bus tours are good (remember lots are open topped buses, wear lots of clothes!), tbh i wouldn't over plan your day, you might go past something on the bus that the kids really want to see, there is so much to see her you wont be left with nothing to do.

MaplePecanPlait Fri 06-Feb-09 18:52:08

HMS Belfast was totally fab and Natural History Museum would be more than enough in one day. Wear your comfiest shoes though and book the ship ahead (they give you talking guides). Plus make sure they have mobiles in case you get split up, usual stuff.....

champs Sat 14-Feb-09 03:04:29

how about the London eye? the river guide boats are fun there too. Just saw the post that the aquarium is half closed,(was thinking of going there ourselves) that's opposite the Eye and would have been good.

there's a raf museum in/near collindale which is free ad brill... if you or the kids like planes. There's a brill interactive part with eperiments, machines... a swing thing, you can bring your own lunch or buy something at the kiosk.

science or history museums? common wealth thingy place... not much help that but cant remember the name... could be institute.

If it's not to wet, battersea park and zoo is lots of fun but may be a little young for your children.

Jampot Mon 16-Feb-09 23:11:49

can anyone tell me what zone bus ticket I need to buy. We will want to see NHM, HMS Belfast and Covent Garden. Is this all zone 1? Also will be getting off/on train at Marylebone.

Thanks

Jampot Mon 16-Feb-09 23:12:14

dh has decided against the tour bus for £65!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now