Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas for a holiday abroad without a car?

(5 Posts)
janx Sun 03-Apr-05 20:18:11

We would like to take our 7 month old on holiday in Europe in the next month or so, but do not want to hire a car. Can anyone recommend somewhere near the coast that would not involve too much travel

miranda2 Sun 03-Apr-05 20:25:51

A few years ago I went to the coast in Spain with my mum, near Barcelona - can't remember exactly where it was but it was half an hour towards france from Barcelona. It was fab - little quiet town, beach, and there was a modern electric railway which ran between the road and the beach (literally bordering hte sea in places) all the way into the centre of Barcelona, so you didn't need a car to go to any of the other seaside towns/villages or into Barcelona itself (which is very child friendly too with lots to do). I guess you'd need a taxi or something to transfer from the airport unless you got a package, but other than that not at all.

Marina Sun 03-Apr-05 20:40:37

The resorts on the Norman coast (Bernieres, Courseulles, Ouistreham-Riva-Bella) can be reached easily by car ferry to Ouistreham itself. there is a reliable network of local buses (Bus Verts du Calvados) linking the coastal resorts with Caen (good shopping, lovely Jardin Botanique, interesting but NOT buggy friendly Memorial de la Paix museum) and Bayeux.
They are low-key and not exactly St Tropez, but have clean beaches and a pleasant atmosphere..but if you are going in the next month then they might not be warm enough!
Calvi in Corsica is much warmer and totally delightful, but when we went on our honeymoon nine years ago the regular flights from the UK to this town didn't start til mid-May. Calvi-Ste-Catherine is only five mins outside the town so transfers are minimal cost, and it combines the best of beach resort and atmospheric mediterranean town. Corsican Places can advise - they are a marvellous small operator who have many properties advertised as "car hire not needed". We had a blissful week in Calvi without car and a terrifying scramble up through the mountains in a Twingo to get to our second week destination - highlight being seeing a wild pig eat a man's cycle shorts at one of the highest passes.

janx Tue 05-Apr-05 19:28:19

Thanks for the recommendations - will definately look into them - Marina I went to Corsica last year when I was 6 months preggers and had a fantastic time - such a beautiful Island - by the way was the cyclist wearing his shorts at the time?!!

Marina Tue 05-Apr-05 20:29:51

No, they were tugged out of a pannier by said pig. It was priceless. Wonderful island isn't it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: