Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The Gruffalo - has anyone been to the theatre to see this?

(27 Posts)
mermaidgirl Fri 05-Dec-08 10:37:01

Hi - I am taking my son to see this in a few weeks. Has anyone been and tell me what it is like? Thanks a bunch!

FioFio Fri 05-Dec-08 10:40:51

Message withdrawn

ramonaquimby Fri 05-Dec-08 10:51:31

Yes - it was crap in a word. too much free license from the book - was 3 adults prancing around on the stage - I really didn't like it but my 7 year old and 3 year old loved it.

mermaidgirl Fri 05-Dec-08 12:30:02

OK - thanks! Have two conflicting opinions here...well as I have already bought the tickets, I can't change my mind! Hope my five-year likes it (fingers crossed!).

Hulababy Fri 05-Dec-08 12:33:04

I took DD a couple of years ago and it was excellent. DD loved it. Would def recommend.

FioFio Fri 05-Dec-08 12:34:36

Message withdrawn

livinginadreamworld Fri 05-Dec-08 12:42:00

we took a class of R, Y1 and Y2 a couple of years ago, they loved it and we loved it. One teacher went another time and said it was different actors and that it was very different. Guess it may be luck of the draw!

livinginadreamworld Fri 05-Dec-08 12:42:39

we took a class of R, Y1 and Y2 a couple of years ago, they loved it and we loved it. One teacher went another time and said it was different actors and that it was very different. Guess it may be luck of the draw!

flightattendant6 Fri 05-Dec-08 12:47:42

Hated it from start to, erm, about 10 minutes in when I had to leave or I would have screamed/fainted/ you know. It wasn't very good. It was an adult interpretation, nothing to do with the book really, well at least I couldn't follow it...too much 'we are ac-tors, get us' trying to be funny and failing.

Sorry I hate conceptual theatre anyway. It was also very loud.
luckily my parents sat through it with ds1 but he only really understood/liked the bit where the gruffalo comes right up into the audience - the rest was weird adult crap.

rather have pins stuck in my eyes than go again.

MascaraOHara Fri 05-Dec-08 12:57:00

took dd a few years back now.. she loved it, I wasn't so enthralled.. it's quite differenet that I had expected but like I say DD absolutely loved it

mummychristmas Sun 07-Dec-08 13:44:38

was going to ask same question. ds is 7 anyone else been?

duckyfuzz Sun 07-Dec-08 13:45:51

took DTs 2 yrs ago, they were nearly 3 at the time, they loved it, plenty of audience participation, v funny, would take them again

islandofsodor Mon 08-Dec-08 00:18:09

It was fantastic. A wonderful piece of physical theatre. In fact I took a copy of the DVD to show our drama class as an example of how anmal characters could and should be played on stage in an uncliched way.

Wonderful!

Pan Mon 08-Dec-08 00:32:57

saw it last year. It was RUBBISH. Cheap everything apart from the price. (Lowry Centre in Salford.)

MrsWeasleyStrokesSantasSack Mon 08-Dec-08 01:38:46

my DCs enjoyed it but "3 adult prancing around on a stage" does cover it all.

The costumes were rubbish too iirc. A pair of semicircles on a head band and a piece of string does not make a mouse IMO (unless its a school play where DCs make it themselves)

Pan Mon 08-Dec-08 07:01:03

quite, Mrs.

islandofsodor Mon 08-Dec-08 11:09:06

Did the mouse not have pink Boots and very well done stage make-up that was quirky but not cliched?

I thought the actors were very talented who were in the production I saw.

IlanaK Mon 08-Dec-08 11:11:27

We went a couple of years ago and loved it!

Andthentherewerethree Mon 08-Dec-08 11:16:02

i took ds1 and 2 to see it a couple of years ago and even though ds1 is above the age of reading grufalo and admitting that he lieks it (he was 9) he loved it and was singing along and ds2 adored it. ds2 still talks about it now and makes me laugh with his g g g g g grufalo song!

MollieO Wed 17-Dec-08 21:58:39

If you mean the Tall Stories production (dvd one) we saw it last year in Windsor and ds (then 3) was absolutely enthralled. So much so that I bought the dvd from Amazon and a year later it is still one of his favourites.

constancereader Wed 17-Dec-08 22:04:32

I took my class a few years ago and every child in the theatre adored it. They responded very enthusiastically. I can't really comment on the production, I was too busy watching my class enjoy themselves.

UnfortunatelyMe Wed 17-Dec-08 22:07:34

My mum took my dds and she said it was rubbish, crappy costumes.

mermaidgirl Mon 05-Jan-09 10:17:27

Well, went to see it and here's my opinion. I thought the actors were great - really funny and full of enthusiasm. However, the costumes and set were both appalling. Really low budget production. They really could have made an effort with the costumes as I'm sure it would make a great difference.

The mouse was a girl with ears and a tail - and that was it!!! My son was more enthralled with the train ride to London rather than the actually play. A big disappointment!

wheelsonthebus Fri 09-Jan-09 12:09:56

we saw it (dd is five) - terrible.

Sawyer64 Fri 09-Jan-09 12:12:52

yes took DD1 last year aged 3.5 yrs, she loved it,especially all the repitition that she could join in with,just like the book. Recommend it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now