Talk

Advanced search

Longleat Safari Park - anyone been

(16 Posts)
Jasmum Thu 10-Mar-05 21:51:32

Thinking of going on Saturday with DD who's 2.5yo, ahas anyone been & is it any good?

princesspeahead Thu 10-Mar-05 21:54:13

yes, went in the summer with 6yo and almost 4yo. it was great, there is masses to do apart from the animals. your little one will love postman pat's village (yawn but very sweet) and the train around the place. I wouldn't spend TOO long driving through the animals because they aren't really that interested in zebras etc at that age. although do go through the monkey bit because the DO notice a monkey hanging off your windscreen wipers which is amusing.

Has it opened for the season already? Have you doublechecked? I thought it was April but am probably wrong....

Jasmum Thu 10-Mar-05 21:56:15

Thanks, I thnk it's open, I checked the web and it said from February but then abother page said April so I will phone to check before traipsing all the way down there!

milliways Thu 10-Mar-05 21:58:53

We went last year & bought a passport which meant could go back for free to see what we didn't have time to first time (Got a bit lost in a maze!!) Some attractions were "Free" so passport not stamped & could go into again next time (Happens off peak). We really enjoyed it.

ThomCat Thu 10-Mar-05 22:00:31

no but I can't wait to go, have a great time.

Jasmum Thu 10-Mar-05 22:06:08

Thanks Thomcat, I am so fed up with the crappy weather and not being able to go anywhere outdoors that this is our first big trip out of the year so I hope it doesn't rain, snow or is freezing cold!!

MamaMaiasaura Thu 10-Mar-05 22:57:29

It is great there.. only be warning those monkey are right little.. well monkeys I unscrewed my ariel so they removed my rear washer squirter! There is absolutely loads to do and hard ot fit it all in one day. The only thing with passprt is that you can only use it once for each attraction. So if you did safari, the next time you went you would have to do something different.

I think i opens April - got a booklet on it and it says april in there.

I am going again this easter i expect

Let us know how you get on there

tamum Thu 10-Mar-05 23:00:00

We've been quite a few times (well, loads if you count my childhood too!). There's a kind of petting zoo which is quite good for little ones, and the train and boat trips. Lots to do, and definitely don't forget the Postman Pat village, now excitingly updated with some of the new characters

Cristina7 Thu 10-Mar-05 23:48:21

It's very good, I think you'll find lots of things to enjoy. Beware though that it can get quite pricey. Amongst other things there's also a permanent Dr Who exhibition which my DS (3.5 at the time) and his Dad enjoyed very much.

Jasmum Tue 15-Mar-05 18:45:49

thought I'd let you know that we went on Saturday and had an excellent time. It is fully open & has been since February, was also very quiet which was a bonus. Great day out for all!!

vict17 Tue 15-Mar-05 19:15:36

ooh ooh ooh - we were there on Saturday too!! I found the driving through the safari bit slightly tedious as you have to queue up - can't imagine what it is like in the summer, one big traffic jam?! But the rest was brilliant. Missed the Dr Who exhibition though - better not tell dh of it's existence as he will be gutted.

vict17 Tue 15-Mar-05 19:16:08

I loved the Dolls Houses bit best

Cam Tue 15-Mar-05 19:21:32

Vict7, you didn't miss the Dr Who exhibition, they've finally taken it down after several decades (I used to go there a lot as a child too). Dd went last summer with my parents and loved it.

TinyGang Tue 15-Mar-05 19:46:46

It's a great day out, but the monkeys ripped lumps out of the spoiler on our car. I won't go into dh's vocabularly on the subject or dwell on the fact that he tried to get them off by accelerating and slamming on the brakes. People were open mouthed. The monkeys won. Dd thought this was the best bit.

We were given a tape to play (narrated by Robert Hardy) in the car whilst driving round the park, which verbally explains what you are looking at. Strangely dd (2 at the time) liked to listen to it many times over once we got home. 'Look to your left and you will see a large...' Huh??

Enjoy

Cam Wed 16-Mar-05 10:04:22

Tinygang, my dd (age 7 at the time) liked to listen to the tape at home too because it reminded her of what she saw! We especially liked the bit where Lord Bath tells us about the lovely "restoron"

pepsi Thu 24-Mar-05 15:48:47

Does anyone know if Postman Pats village includes the Greendale Rocket?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: