Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Day out in London just before Xmas - worth it for a 2 year old?

(12 Posts)
oldnewmummy Thu 30-Oct-08 09:18:37

I have an appointment in London on 23/12 late morning. Was trying to decide whether to go alone or to bring DH and DS (23 months) with me to see some sights.

What would you recommend for a 2 year old in London?

Or will it be horrible and crowded, being so close to Xmas?

missblythe Thu 30-Oct-08 09:25:04

Will be nightmarish. That's the last day at work for lots of people, so London will be full of pissed up office workers en route to their Xmas lunch. Avoid!

teafortwo Thu 30-Oct-08 09:34:02

Hi oldnewmummy!!!

I am planning on doing a London trip with dd aged 2.

We are meeting with my parents who are going to take her to see Father Christmas at Harrods then we will take a long walk around London to see the all the pretty lights. Followed by dinner in a nice restaurant!!!! I was looking for where to eat yesterday and can't decide!

I keep toying with the idea of doing the Eye as well - I think at night near Christmas with all those lights it could be quite brilliant...!!! But with a 2yr old I would definately fork out for fast track tickets - standing around in December for at least half an hour waiting to go on does not sound pretty to me!!!

I think it will be crowded so I do not plan to do much (tbh any) buying - just hanging out feeling Christmased up and soaking in the whole atmosphere of London at its best - I think it could be a really magical experioence for any 2yr old!!! [christmas grin] grin

foxinsocks Thu 30-Oct-08 09:39:13

whatever you do, don't walk down oxford street. It will be murder.

teafortwo Thu 30-Oct-08 09:40:46

obviously I meant experience not experioence - that'll be the Christmas sherries kicking in early! grin

missblythe - Oh my gaaaawd - whenever I go to London I am overwhelmed by how drunk so many people are.... sounds like it gets really messy around Christmas. Are they drunk literally absolutely everywhere or just in areas near big office blocks, in the party areas of London and mostly this happens just on the 23rd???

mighoula Thu 30-Oct-08 21:53:32

agree with missblythe, it will be a nightmare - can't think of anything worse tbh

oldnewmummy Fri 31-Oct-08 08:21:51

Thanks gals. Probably a much better idea to go on my own and let DH entertain him nearer home. And I get a break, too. Woohoo!

teafortwo Fri 31-Oct-08 11:21:04

OH MY LIFE - you have all got me in a MAAAAUUUUOOOOOSSSSSSSSIVE panic now.... am I going to live to regret a Christmasy day out in London!!!??????!!!!!

I took my daughter to London on Gay Pride day - it was busy, hectic, crazy BUT the contrast from the city we live in and the viberance of the day really was positive - dd loved it and so did we!!!

Don't the pretty lights, christmasy atmosphere, air that gives us dragon breath, the beauty of the Thames etc etc balance the horrors of the crowed????

[scared emotion]

teafortwo Fri 31-Oct-08 17:58:26

hmm...???

annh Fri 31-Oct-08 22:41:29

Weeeeellll, tea for two, I took ds2 to Santa at Harrods on a Saturday last year and with a 2 year old, it would have been hell! There was no air to give us dragons breath because it was pouring rain and the pavements near Harrods were so crowded we were shuffling along at one point, trying to avoid getting poked in the eye. Ground floor of Harrods was also jammed. DS2 was 6 at the time and is a very patient, champion shopper so he was fine but I would have hated it with a little one. Can't remember if we did Regent St that day or on another day so he did enjoy the lights but again, it's very crowded and the Christmas spirit is well buried beneath all the hustle and bustle and people shopping as if their lives depend on it! Sorry to rain on your parade, you can still have a fun day if you are prepared for inclement weather and the crowds, but I'm not sure it will be magical!

minko Fri 31-Oct-08 22:50:26

Anywhere with crowds when you are pushing a buggy is just horrible, no pleasure at all. And Londoners (stressed workers and tourists that is) are not very buggy-friendly on the whole...

teafortwo Fri 31-Oct-08 23:10:32

Thanks minko and annh for that insiders eye... I think I need to think this through a bit more...

Funny I have quite a passion for London. I find it a magical place full stop - I had no idea at Christmas it turns into a bit of a living hell!!!! Shame... a city as wonderful as London should be radiant, loving and warm at Christmas. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now