loader

Talk

Advanced search

Railway Buffs or Wiltshire people!

(15 Posts)
DumbledoresGirl Thu 09-Oct-08 14:36:17

Ok, which is better:

Didcot or this steam museum in Swindon?

I am meeting my brother at half-term and he has been to the Swindon museum and thought my children would like it, but dh (who has been to neither) thinks that Didcot would be better.

They are aged 5 - 12.

Any opinions?

DumbledoresGirl Thu 09-Oct-08 14:38:58

Sorry, not sure how I posted twice, especially as the first time I was only previewing the message. Anyway, replies here please.

edam Thu 09-Oct-08 14:40:31

Dunno but please do tell us about it after you'd been, ds would love to go to either!

Got a vague feeling my dad (the RL Fat Controller) says Swindon is a bit disappointing but his take on this would be rather different from that of your average 5 to 12 yo...

DumbledoresGirl Thu 09-Oct-08 14:42:37

Well my brother went to the Swindon museum last year and obviously was impressed enough with it to remember it and want to take his nephews and neice to it. However, he is a bachelor, childless uncle, so maybe his view of the place is slanted.

mufti Thu 09-Oct-08 14:50:20

i would also bear in mind that swindon is all indoors, in case its raining, didcot doesnt have that much. and is outdoors mainly
i like the swindon one , there is a lot there, some hands on stuff

edam Thu 09-Oct-08 14:50:42

Based on your links, Swindon looks jolly interesting, although a 5yo might be bored as it doesn't have that many actual engines, although they do have lots of other stuff. Can't see exactly what they've got at Didcot.

Make sure you put York Railway Museum and London Transport Museum trips into your diary for next year!

edam Thu 09-Oct-08 14:51:13

Can you actually get on a train and go anywhere at either place?

ksld Thu 09-Oct-08 14:53:01

Took DS to Didcot last year for the Christmas special, which was OK only. Didcot seems to be run by volunteers, is all a bit run down and unloved really. The train rides are about 2 minutes long, and you can also climb on some engines in the barn, but my 3 year old was bored and not interested. Nothing much to see or do, and we were only there 30 minutes. Don't know if older DCs would find it interesting though? What were you hoping it would be like/there would be to actually do?

wannaBe Thu 09-Oct-08 14:54:50

didcott is good because you can get on actual trains there.

Swindon is ok but no trains to ride on there.

We spent a good few hours at didcott whereas you can do swindon in about an hour.

DumbledoresGirl Thu 09-Oct-08 14:55:36

Ah thank you, we will stick with Swindon then. I wasn't sure but Mufti you sound like you have been to both? Having the option of being indoors if the weather is bad is certainly attractive.

Edam, I don't think you can actually go anywhere, but since we have been on virtually every single steam railway in the country (and a couple in other countries!) I am not disappointed about that. My brother says Swindon has a recreated country railway station but I am wondering how impressed my children will be with that, as of course they have those on every steam railway.

DumbledoresGirl Thu 09-Oct-08 14:57:47

Oh, different views! sad I was not hoping for anything tbh. My brother suggested it and I agreed as Swindon is an easy halfway point between our two abodes.

If the weather is ok, we were thinking of going on to Avebury or Kennet Longbarrow in the afternoon, though we are only meeting up late morning-ish so there won't be a huge amount of time once we have had lunch.

mufti Thu 09-Oct-08 17:29:08

i have been to both
i love steam trains , didcot a very short ride

mufti Thu 09-Oct-08 18:34:45

DG hope you can come back and tell us how you enjoyed it
changing the subject completely, but i thought of naswm/pc the other day, dont see her on her any more, are you still in touch, is she ok?

DumbledoresGirl Thu 09-Oct-08 19:27:25

Yes I will mufti.

Naswm is not on MN anymore. She is not doing well I am sorry to say.

mufti Thu 09-Oct-08 19:31:18

oh i am sorry to hear that, you are still in touch and supporting her as best you can i guess
will tell my prayer ladies , and ask that we pray for her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now