Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Malvern Hills

(44 Posts)
DumbledoresGirl Mon 06-Oct-08 19:17:53

I need a recommendation of a good hill to climb in the Malverns (with children who are used to hill walking). Where to park? What would there be to see at the top? Possibility of kite flying?

Also need a recommendation for a good tea shop/ cafe open during the day during this coming half term (ie mid week) somewhere in the vicinity.

If you can combine both of the above, ie a good hill to climb with a good tea shop / cafe nearby, that would be perfect. smile

Thanks.

DumbledoresGirl Tue 07-Oct-08 10:05:00

Gosh, does no-one know the Malverns? I posted this last night when there was a Worcester meet up thread going.

LilRedWG Tue 07-Oct-08 11:06:37

Bump for you.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 07-Oct-08 11:26:22

St Anns Well Cafe -opening times are a bit random (details on website) but gorgeous cakes! Its a tiny place, very little seating inside but lots of seats outside with fab views. Food-wise, like I said cakes are superb, other than that they just tend to do very small selection of filled baguettes and a soup of the day (all veggie, some vegan). Hippy vibe, old crumbly building. You can park in town centre and walk up from there.

On the other (west) side of the hills is The Kettle Sings in Jubilee Drive -its changed hands recently but I think it does more substantial meals rather than snacks, but also the coffee and cake type thing before and after lunch. Also has great views. I can't find a website I'm afraid. There is a Pay and Display car park opposite it - good for starting walks from there.

There is also the Malvern Hills Hotel by the British Camp. Its on the A449 Malvern to Ledbury road. Theres a big Pay and Display car park opposite where lots of people start their hill walks from. Lots of outdoor seating at the hotel where children seem welcome (not sure about indoors and children?). Across the road there is also a kiosk that sells ice-creams, coffee, chocolate etc

There is a tourist info. place in the middle of town -they sell route maps from the very basic photocopy of walks through to the full-blown OS maps.

Town has a few old biddy old fashioned style tea shops, pubs and hotels but also has a Caffe Nero and a recently opened Ask if you want to know what you're getting IYSWIM.

HTH -let me know if you have any more questions smile -I'll be around on and off today and tonight

DumbledoresGirl Tue 07-Oct-08 13:18:14

Hello Norbert, thanks for replying. I was wondering if Malvern was a MN black hole!
I have googled the area and am pleased to recognise the places you mention here - means I was on the right track.

St Anns Well Cafe looks ideal but I don't think it is open in the autumn. The website would imply it is not. Or does it open for half-term, does anyone know?
Also, I think we would need to be sure of indoor seating. It will be me, a friend and 5 children aged between 5 and 12.

Is the British Camp a place worth going to? The situation is that my friend and I are meeting up from opposite ends of the country for the day. We want somewhere to walk with the children (somewhere that would entertain them) and somewhere to reward them with cake at the end!

Overmydeadbody Tue 07-Oct-08 13:22:54

I can't remember what it's called but I have walked up the malvern hills with ds a few times now, nice gentle walk, big grassy mounds at the top, and we flied kites! and there was a pub near the car park but we took a picnic and our own cake and flasks of tea.

It was/is the main hill walk up the malverns, so pretty easy to find I'd imagine.

slayerette Tue 07-Oct-08 13:23:51

We start our walks from British Camp. You're already quite high (good if you have young children) and you can head off in a range of directions, getting up to some great views quickly. Never tried the hotel there for food etc but I'm sure you can ring them and ask about food, kids and so on.

ButterflyBessie Tue 07-Oct-08 13:25:00

Mind the dog shitgrin, there is loads there, dog owners can't be bothered to scoop the poop on the hills sad

DumbledoresGirl Tue 07-Oct-08 14:56:34

LOL useful advice. My friend and I are providing our own lunches but we would like to indulge in a tea and cake somewhere.

Any suggestions of things we could do indoors in Malvern or nearby if, on the day, it is pouring with rain? Children are aged 5 - 12.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 07-Oct-08 16:13:14

hmmm indoors? Not a lot really.

There is a swimmiming pool (Malvern Splash) that has a wave machine and 1 water slide -it will be heaving though as it usually is in the hols.

There is a tiny 10 pin bowling place thats just extended to include a LaserQuest too -not been there though.

Eastnor Castle about 6 miles away but could work out expensive. Depends also if your DC like that sort of thing.

Worcester (10 miles) has a couple of Soft Play places if you are desperate -although in their defence they are very new so not too dire and dirty I would hope wink. One is in the city centre, one is in St Johns.

There is at least one other MNer from Malvern so hopefully she'll see this and add some more ideas.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 07-Oct-08 16:15:05

Sorry forgot to add that there is a single screen cinema and theatre too in Malvern so they might have something child friendly over the half-term?

Bigger multiscreen cinemas in Worcester

ButterflyBessie Tue 07-Oct-08 16:27:44

10 pin bowling place looks like a dive but is actually quite nice, we went there and was good fun

NorbertDentressangle Tue 07-Oct-08 16:29:13

Have you been there since they've added the Laser bit Bessie? Wondered what it was like

ButterflyBessie Tue 07-Oct-08 16:39:52

Sorry no, well I don't think soblush, we went just under 1 year ago - looked salubrious but was fine smile

OrmIrian Tue 07-Oct-08 16:43:12

Lovely place. My granny lived there until just before she died. Have very happy memories.

I think British camp and St Anns well are good starting points.

DumbledoresGirl Tue 07-Oct-08 18:13:44

Thanks for suggestions. I think we had better pray for fine weather! Either that, or take waterproofs.

Eastnor Castle looks fantastic but both friend and I have openly admitted that we have no money and can't afford an expensive day out, hence the idea of going for a walk!

samsonthecat Tue 07-Oct-08 19:40:47

Hi I live in Malvern but my dc are much younger than yours.
Splash is a firm favorite here, the Splash Happy session starts at 10.30 in the holidays I think. The cafe there is also ok if you need refreshments afterwards.
In the town I like Cafe Nero or the cafe at the theatre.
Not sure about the soft play in Worcester as I have never been but friends say it is good (too expensive for me at £5 per child)
Not too sure about the hills as my dd1 moans too much if we decide to go walking but the view from the top is well worth it if you get a good day.
Hope you have a good day, I'll check back later to see if you have any more questions.

SaintRiven Tue 07-Oct-08 19:44:31

I lived in Malvern for 10 years. Best woalk is the one up to the Wocestershire beacon. There's a decent carpark at the start.
Lots of dog crap though.

DumbledoresGirl Tue 07-Oct-08 19:46:41

Samson, I am a bit confused when you say the view from the top. Is there only one top? What is that top called? I thought the Malverns would have several tops and I don't know which one to go for iyswim!

DumbledoresGirl Tue 07-Oct-08 19:47:46

Riven, does it have a particular name? Anything I can google?

SaintRiven Tue 07-Oct-08 19:58:21

Malverns have several top. Highest is the Worcestershire Beacon which is directly over the town.
You can walk up to St Annes Well and on up to the Beacon from the town which is nice.
The Car park for the Beacon walking along the hill spine is up at The Wyche cutting. Follow the signs to Upper Wyche.

zandy Tue 07-Oct-08 20:02:38

park at waitrose car park. (use their toilets) then walk up the steps to the right of the shop. that will take you into malvern. turn left at the top of the steps, walk along to the zebra crossing, cross, go up the hill next to the art shop. very steep, and will feel too much, but only for a few minutes, then it evens out. you will end up at the cafe. from there you can travel anywhere on the hills.

great day out, even in the rain!

the whole range of the hills is only about nine miles end to end, so if you're very fit you can do the whole lot

DumbledoresGirl Tue 07-Oct-08 20:02:38

And does that go anywhere near the British Camp?

DumbledoresGirl Tue 07-Oct-08 20:04:13

Sounds great.

Sorry for asking so many stupid questions. I will google a map.

zandy Tue 07-Oct-08 20:05:57

British camp is to the left (if looking from malvern) of the hills. a fair walk from st. annes well, but lovely.

have you any idea what you will see at british camp? not a great deal there, bit of stonework is about it, really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now