Talk

Advanced search

Cinema/theatre for 4 year old (London)

(13 Posts)
georgiemum Sun 05-Oct-08 09:53:50

Has anyone any good ideas about where to take a 4 year old? Since the weather is getting so terrible I fancy the idea of taking him out to see a show then pizza on a cold, wet weekend.

I want to take him to see a film or a stage show for a 'family' audience (so the grown ups can all enjoy it too). Would the Lion King be too scary? I have found the Barbican Family cinema but the BCI kid screenings seem to be too old/during school hours so not much use.

Megglevache Sun 05-Oct-08 09:55:54

NO! Great thread as I will be nosing as I was thinking of exactly the same, I was wondering too if the Tate Modern would be good for him.

georgiemum Sun 05-Oct-08 10:03:31

Tate Modern is pretty good because of the space and decent places to eat. Walks along the southbank are nice too (there's a good pizza place at Gabriels Wharf).

Took DS to The Red Balloon at BCI - ie a childrens' film at lunchtime on a Sunday. He was ok until the end when the nasty kid burst the balloon. He yelled at him. Lots of old miseries who looked at us as if we were radioactive when we walked in!! Very disappointing.

I suppose there's:
Natural History,
Science,
V&A,
National Portrait,
HMS Belfast,
Wet walks in the park
Gambado/Snakes & Ladders/Eddie Katz

I suppose panto season is coming up. We also went to Royal Albert Hall last year for one of the Christmas concerts.

...but looking for something else that isn't hideously busy at weekends!

georgiemum Sun 05-Oct-08 10:09:12

Another thought:

Pottery Cafes are good entertainment too!

Also looking to Halloween entertainmnt - Gambado and Eddie Katz have events on.

Megglevache Sun 05-Oct-08 10:22:37

oH DEAR LORDIE (opps) pottery caf for my ds would not be a good idea.

Is your ds at school yet? I'm (for the first time) going to be cramming activities in during half tern so I am just bracing myself grin

georgiemum Sun 05-Oct-08 10:28:52

Pottery Cafe is a hoot. Especially the parents who take over 'you're not doing it right... give the paint to me... go over there and look at a book...' (ahh poor kids!). We had a family trip to one and we each painted part of one big plate and added our handprints. DS was 3 then and it really wasn't as bad as you'd imagine!

CapricaSix Sun 05-Oct-08 10:28:52

Tate Modern is great, we went the other weekend, they had a stall set up where you could get activities for the kids (puzzles, activity drawing book etc) that you took off to the particular gallery to find things in the pictures, etc etc . we were there for 2 hours - normally dd tears around galleries/museums & gets bored easily!

Science Museum is fab too, tons of stuff for the kids.

Megglevache Sun 05-Oct-08 10:42:38

Agree the science museum was brill as was the History, he surprsingly loved it.

angrypixie Sun 05-Oct-08 10:53:34

The Polka theatre in Wimbledon has fantastic children's shows lots of places to eat afterwards

Sycamoretree Sun 05-Oct-08 11:02:51

Don't know where you are based, but the Unicorn Theatre on the southbank has fabulous shows for kids, and you're a hop skip and jump to nice eateries etc. But don't haul your cookies there if, like me, you're based in West London as it will take you and hour and half and your DC will be a crumpled wreck by the time you arrive (late).

Have you seen Wall E yet? Not sure if it's still on, but that would be a great film for you and your DC.

georgiemum Sun 05-Oct-08 12:07:57

We're in Bayswater/Notting Hill. Planning on going to kids screening of WALL-E in a couple of weeks. Is it good? We have the book and it seems sad (snif!). He is on a Kung Fu Panda kick at the moment - but not sure if he's old enough (he's 4).

I had completely forgotten about the Unicorn. Thanks!

PortAndLemon Sun 05-Oct-08 12:10:01

DS liked WALL-E but far preferred Kung Fu Panda (WALL-E is better, though).

sb6699 Sun 05-Oct-08 13:23:50

We took dd1 to see Wall-e for her 4th b'day but she really couldn't get into it. I don't think she could understand the story tbh.

Haven't seen it but the Lion King is supposed to be fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now