Talk

Advanced search

Wine Tasting evening, with overnight stay - gift ideas needed

(11 Posts)
Hulababy Mon 28-Feb-05 19:52:36

MIL is 60 this year and DH and BIL are thinking of ideas for her present.

They are considering sending her and FIL away for a weekend/couple of nights. They both like their wine and we thought it would be nive to have them go to a nice hotel, spend an evening/afternoon wine tasting, followed by a nice meal and a stay in the hotel.

They live in South Yorkshire - but don't mind travelling a little way - not too far though, as only for a couple of nights.

No idea on budget! They haven't got that far in their planning yet

Anyone got any ideas of places that might do it?

ThomCat Mon 28-Feb-05 20:17:45

Sorry, can't help for the Yorkshire area, only know about Vinopolis in London.

WideWebWitch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:18:45

Hotel Du Vin? They do ecole du vin or they could just go and stay.

Hulababy Mon 28-Feb-05 20:18:53

Have been googling, and think I may need to extend their journey time. London area would be okay - they could always use it to visit BIL too

Have Vinopolis site up now.

Hulababy Mon 28-Feb-05 20:19:33

I don't want anything too heavy - long lectures, etc. Has to be fun. With lots of tasting

KateandtheGirls Mon 28-Feb-05 20:19:49

I went to Vinopolis with my mum and sister in December, and loved it. Highly recommend it.

WideWebWitch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:21:01

I've only stayed in the Bristol one but liked it a lot. Asked for a glass of white wine at the bar and then realised they'd expect me to specify exactly which one I'd want! I know CD wasn't impressed with Harrogate HDV though.

Hulababy Mon 28-Feb-05 20:26:47

The Vinopolis place looks really good - and pretty light hearted too. Bound to be some restaurant and hotel nearby too.

Frizbe Mon 28-Feb-05 20:30:06

Think the linthwaite house hotel in the lakes does something on those lines?

Carameli Tue 01-Mar-05 07:49:31

I went to Vinopolis with a few friends as a little part of my hen weekend a couple of years ago. Its a great place, you start off with a quick talk about tasting wine, they get you to try different different things with your glass of wine. Its certainly not boring.

Then you walk around on your own. You get one of those things to hang around your neck to give you a guide about each display. Then every so often there are tasting areas and you use up your tokens. ALl the staff were really helpful telling you about the different wines. Certainly a place I'd go back to.

bluesky Tue 01-Mar-05 09:08:39

I know others who have enjoyed the Harrogate Hotel du Vin, also one in Birmingham.

The Vineyard (5* hotel) nr Newbury also does them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now