Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone think of the perfect place for a family get together lunch, child friendly yet stylish, we'd like to be able to eat, drink and (ideally) ignore our children because they are playing so happily!

(23 Posts)
WideWebWitch Thu 25-Sep-08 12:11:19

In my head I have an image of a restaurant or pub that LIKES children, serves great food, has an ENCLOSED garden but one with maybe patio heaters since it will be October, somewhere that is totally safe for my sister's 3 year old to toddle around but has something interesting enough for 2 four year olds and 2 eleven year olds (my ds and my mum's adopted 11yo)

Sister one has a six month old baby, sister 2 has a 4yo and 3yo, I have 4yo and 11yo.

We will be coming from London, Bucks and Wilts (Chippenham) so ideally somewhere in between all that lot.

And it mustn't cost a fortune.

Any ideas? TIA!

TheHedgeWitch Thu 25-Sep-08 12:15:15

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Thu 25-Sep-08 12:15:59

ideally not wacky warehouse but thanks

CatIsSleepy Thu 25-Sep-08 12:16:39

Little Chalfont any good to you? we ate here at the weekend-it was great

nice garden (not sure about patio heaters....but children are hardy, right?)
mine and my friends' 2-year olds had great time running around outside (only thing keep an eye on them as the garden is open to their (small) carpark).

food was great, nice children's menu (and they got their food for free), and it wasn't too packed out.
not too expensive either.

we loved it-oh and nice walks in the area too for afterwards

CountessDracula Thu 25-Sep-08 12:17:46

we went somewhere near chippenham recently would that be any good?

WideWebWitch Thu 25-Sep-08 12:18:00

Oh CIS, yes, that area looks good. How un enclosed is the garden? We're talking REALLY want to IGNORE our children here!

WideWebWitch Thu 25-Sep-08 12:19:00

CD, tell me about it! I'd rather it was nearer me but we could do near ish Chips

HaventSleptForAYear Thu 25-Sep-08 12:19:28

A friend swears by RHS Wisley near Guildford - quite expensive to get in but apparantly there's a play area inside too.

Not sure what the food's like.

Overmydeadbody Thu 25-Sep-08 12:20:09

this site might help?

It's not what I was looking for, there is a really good site that lists everywhere, with reviews etc. and it's upmarket, not wakywarehouse/beefeater type places. I'll keep raking my brain...

CatIsSleepy Thu 25-Sep-08 12:23:03

well the garden is at the back of the pub-there is a gate through that leads to the front though.

and like I said it is open to the car-park. The car-park is small was v. quiet when we were there (it's quite hard to find your way into the car-park which may explain why it was quiet) but one car did leave while we were out there and I had to hold onto dd until the car had gone.

so you might not be able to ignore them completely (unless the 11-year-olds can be relied on to keep a good eye on the littlies?)

it was absolutely lovely though
just wish it was a bit closer to where we live!

WideWebWitch Thu 25-Sep-08 12:25:21

Yes, the 11yos could be made responsible for the 3yo. The 4yos can be trusted not to run off, pretty much.

It does look VERY nice, the sort of thing I've got in mind. And it is family friendly AND they have kids eat free at the weekend.

CountessDracula Thu 25-Sep-08 12:26:00

this looks good even has a crazy golf thing for older sprogs

WideWebWitch Thu 25-Sep-08 12:28:38

Great location CD, have you been there?

Ragtaggle Thu 25-Sep-08 12:30:41

Hi - I'm www's sister. Some of these look great- esp love the look of that one in Chalfont - but in an ideal world it would have a children's play area in the garden but not be tacky. Ha ha - we don't ask much do we?

CatIsSleepy Thu 25-Sep-08 12:31:28

yes GO grin *
the friends' we were visiting live nearby and have been quite a few times, i think it is always good
and the waiting staff were lovely too
oh and we went for the most gorgeous walk afterwards

(blimey I'm gushing aren't I?
they're not paying me, honest)

* disclaimer:
please don't hold me responsible if you go and fail to have a delightful time for some reason wink

CountessDracula Thu 25-Sep-08 12:33:33

no I just found it on childfriendly.co.uk

WideWebWitch Thu 25-Sep-08 12:34:25

yes and in a perfect world we wouldn't have anyone else's children there. So we'd like somewhere that is very good but ALSO quiet ish. Unreasonable, moi?!

CountessDracula Thu 25-Sep-08 12:34:33

great reviews here

CountessDracula Thu 25-Sep-08 12:35:50

and here

In fact I think I will go myself next time we are en route to mates in Gloucs!

seeker Thu 25-Sep-08 12:36:12

Anywhere in Italy.

crumpet Thu 25-Sep-08 12:50:54

This is nice- might need to watch the water though, but there are peacocks to provide interest for the children, and on the other side of the river a nice stroll after lunch

WideWebWitch Thu 25-Sep-08 13:13:08

Thanks Crumpet, where?!

crumpet Thu 25-Sep-08 13:18:00

Sorry - here: www.thetroutoxford.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now