Talk

Advanced search

entertainment for a 16mo in London on a rainy Sunday - last minute please help!

(17 Posts)
greenandpleasant Sat 06-Sep-08 20:21:07

please help, I need to find something to do with ds who is 16 mo and only just walking but full of energy. preferably somewhere with lots of space and stuff he can look at or touch easily and can stagger about without annoying too many people. it needs to be mainly indoors as he spends a lot of time on hands and knees or bum still so outdoors is not ideal in this weather.

please don't say soft play, we've been loads and it gets so busy at the weekend with older ones. (yes ds is pfb)

thank you in advance.

MrsMattie Sat 06-Sep-08 20:22:06

Which area? London is a big place!

FabioBadAssCat Sat 06-Sep-08 20:25:30

museums in south kensington

greenandpleasant Sat 06-Sep-08 20:27:02

oh any area, we're in N London but can travel to anywhere central / zone 1. anyone been to the National gallery with small children? thinking he is too loud and sticky and keen to touch the pictures?!

squeaver Sat 06-Sep-08 20:28:12

Aquarium

Starbear Sat 06-Sep-08 20:28:57

May I be so bold and suggest the Tate Morden.
It's Free...My boy and his friends and others just play on the huge ramp (don't ask me why!!!!) you can buy a coffee eat you own food. Basement/ground floor baby changing the best. The other floors baby changing are a bit weird. Just have fun stopping him from touching a few paintings. Look at the boats on the river. If its not raining it's a safe place for them to run around, just along the South Bank no traffic. I've done this with my mate for a few years, our boys are now 4 years old

2cats2many Sat 06-Sep-08 20:30:14

Snakes and Ladders or one of those indoor play areas.

Battersea Park Children's Zoo

Feeding the ducks at the park (just put their wellies and waterproofs on)

hoxtonchick Sat 06-Sep-08 20:30:28

yes, tate modern is great. we go a lot & rarely look at pictures blush. my 2 are 6 and 3....

squeaver Sat 06-Sep-08 20:31:10

Oh yes Tate Modern is good

Starbear Sat 06-Sep-08 20:33:40

I've been to the National gallery with the boy & DH, okay but too crowded for him to crawl around. Try the Wallace Collection nice staff, painting off the ground not so crowded. South Ken top of my list Good suggestion Fabio

mamado Sat 06-Sep-08 20:36:03

or the V&A museum of childhood in bethnal green. lots of space, toys to play with and its free!...we had a great day there.

popmum Sat 06-Sep-08 20:40:52

def. V&A in bethnal green, you'll enjoy it too (all your old toys/ ones you wanted!)

FeelingLucky Sat 06-Sep-08 20:53:04

I'm in N London too and wondering what to do with my 15 month old. We'd normally go to Tate Modern but DD has now started trying to touch the paintings which are hung lower down and I get fed up chasing after her.

What about Science Museum? Apparently there's a play area in basement??
Or, what about british museum? which is where we'll probably end up as can;t be bothered to traipse all the way to south ken. BM will probably be very crowded but you can always go to the upper section of great court which is quieter and has lots of roaming/crawling space.

FeelingLucky Sat 06-Sep-08 20:54:33

Ooh, might try mamado and pomum's suggestion and go to Bethnal Green instead.
What a fab idea!

greenandpleasant Sat 06-Sep-08 21:08:45

Fantastic, many thanks all for suggestions. I think the Museum of Childhood wins for tomorrow but now have good list of outings.

see you there FeelingLucky!

popmum Sun 07-Sep-08 21:21:28

did you enjoy it?

FeelingLucky Mon 08-Sep-08 09:49:43

Yes, we went along and all enjoyed it. So much space to roam, and exhibits were excellently displayed so small people could look at them just as well as the bigger adults. Cafe was a bonus too. And DD loved the beach bit upstairs.
Perfect for a rainy sunday afternoon so thanks for the recommendation. We'll definitely be going again.

How about you, greenandpleasant? did you manage to go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now