Talk

Advanced search

Matlock for our honeymoon-any ideas?

(13 Posts)
stretchmarkqueen Wed 03-Sep-08 13:41:32

I am getting in married in Oct. We are not having a 'proper' honeymoon due to money(lack of) and 3 dcs. We are going to stay in a lovely hotel in Matlock for a couple of days.

Can anyone recommend any good places to visit?? I know there is the Heights of Abraham, but is it worth the money?? Any other places?

We will have ds(5 mths) with us.

Many thanks!smile

Aniyan Wed 03-Sep-08 13:48:54

Haddon Hall is nice if you like visiting old houses - though it's only open limited days in October -
see here

Buxton & Bakewell are both good places to visit too - plenty of tea & cake opportunities!

Aniyan Wed 03-Sep-08 13:51:21

oh, and Gulliver's kingdom is great for dcs up to about 11 or 12, I'd say - but again you'll need to check opening times in Oct.

mosschops30 Wed 03-Sep-08 13:52:28

Where are you staying in Matlock? (I was born there)

Chatsworth House is lovely, but cant think of much else

Aniyan Wed 03-Sep-08 13:54:44

and see here for details of the fireworks & illuminations festival at Matlock Bath - again, great for kids but I went there with my sister & sister-in-law & we had loads of fun too.

bellabelly Wed 03-Sep-08 14:01:33

This site might give you some ideas? Was going to suggest hiring a rowing boat at Belper river gardens but looks like the boat hire doesn't run in october.

Bakewell is worth a look around - v pretty.

stretchmarkqueen Wed 03-Sep-08 14:21:33

oooh! Thankyou!! We will be up there on the 25th Oct, so will get to see the fireworks!! I love fireworks!!! We will only have the baby though, not the older dcs, so we can't go to any kid related things! <shame>

Will try bakewell, thanks. We just want somewhere we can wander round and just chill out bascially! Tea and cake places sound good!! grin

FioFio Wed 03-Sep-08 14:23:25

Message withdrawn

FioFio Wed 03-Sep-08 14:23:49

Message withdrawn

brightwell Wed 03-Sep-08 16:32:59

Eyam, the plague village, not very romantic but it is interesting

DrGeorge Wed 03-Sep-08 16:39:10

Crich Tramway museum is great is you are interested in that sort of thing - little old fashioned street, tramrides etc. My boys loved it but yours may be slightly young!!!!

Definitely Chatsworth - haven't been to Gullivers Kingdom but have heard good reports but again for slightly older children.

Just enjoy the beautiful countryside

bellabelly Wed 03-Sep-08 17:39:16

Kedleston Hall is worth a visit if you are heading over towards Ashbourne (which is lovely market town).

stretchmarkqueen Wed 03-Sep-08 17:42:33

Tram museum and plague village sounds great!blush I really do like that sort of thing! Thanks so much! Because we're only there for a couple of days, I don't want to spend the whole time argueing dicussing about where we're going!!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now