Talk

Advanced search

Where is the nearest theme park to Nottingham?

(23 Posts)
roisin Tue 19-Aug-08 16:46:10

ds1 (11) is complaining that we haven't been to a theme park in years. (True). I have to go to Nottingham at half term, and wondered if there's anything near there? I believe the American Adventure one is closed now.

Thanks

bogie Tue 19-Aug-08 17:04:52

I think alton towers is the closest about 1 hour drive.
American adventure closed last year.

bogie Tue 19-Aug-08 17:05:29

Oh and it is great aswell one of the best in the uk imo.

roisin Tue 19-Aug-08 17:10:46

Is AT really that close to Nottingham? I thought it was further?

kd73 Tue 19-Aug-08 17:12:40

American Adventure is now closed...

bogie Tue 19-Aug-08 17:27:34

www.multimap.com/directions/?qs_1=nottingam&countryCode_1=GB&qs_2=alton+towers&displayName_2=alton&l at_2=52.97694&lon_2=-1.89343&countryCode_2=GB&mode=driving&optimizeFor=quickest&mapData=917#map=52.9 227,-1.46786|10|4

1 hour 11 mins according to multi map grin

mumto2andnomore Tue 19-Aug-08 18:37:32

I thought American adventure must have closed, does anyone know what happened to it ?

bogie Tue 19-Aug-08 21:33:17

They wern't making any money. They went under about 3 times and were bought out by different companys, but tbh they could have never competed against the big theme parks without having millions spent on improvments and new attractions.

WedgiesMum Tue 19-Aug-08 22:36:53

Roisin!!

You should know that WedgieWorld is near to Nottingham grin.

Gullivers Kingdom is at Matlock Bath which would be less than an hour - is for children under 11 but both of mine love it and there aren't usually bad queues.

Drayton Manor is also just down the M1/M42 and should take about the same time as getting to Alton Towers.

roisin Wed 20-Aug-08 08:55:33

Are there max height restrictions at Gullivers Kingdom WM?

savoycabbage Wed 20-Aug-08 09:10:13

The height restriction is 90cm I think. It's free to get in if you are under 9ocm but there is still a lot of stuff to go on if you are under the restriction. My one year old loved it there. We went on a Saturday but it wads not busy. It is on a MASSIVE hill though...

American Adventure has gone. They auctioned off all the stuff. It was bizarre there IMO. Like on Scooby Doo when they are at an abandoned funfair. I used to go to the soft play centre and it didn't open until 11am and I had to pay to take my (then) newborn baby so I stopped going. I hated the giant heads.

90cm is the min helight restriction. There isn't a max one as adults can go on with kids.

blithedance Thu 21-Aug-08 12:45:28

Twin Lakes at Melton Mowbray, not such a huge day out but still lots to do.

pamelat Thu 21-Aug-08 19:35:00

Twin Lakes is meant to be excellent. You can buy an annual pass too (haven't been yet)

WedgiesMum Thu 21-Aug-08 21:48:50

Not for your two Roisin! They will be able to go on everything. DD can go on everything they have including the new rollercoaster thingy which she LOVES!! There is nothing hideously scary as my 2 wouldn't do anything too fast/steep (remember the York Eye??) and certainly nothing like a more 'grown up' roller coaster.

roisin Fri 22-Aug-08 17:37:02

I think we might give this a go. DS1 used to go on huge rollercoasters when he was very young (but tall), but lost his nerve when I talked him into going on a big one at Alton Towers when he was 5 or 6 blush

Since then several times he's come close to going on a big rollercoaster, but then backs out at the last minute, and then feels bad about it.

If we went somewhere that he would happily go on anything it would boost his confidence.

Only downside is we probably would have to visit pils at the same time if its at Matlock Bath!

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 22-Aug-08 17:48:31

Height restriction for the very big rides at AT is 140cm but there are loads you can go on under that. Start on a smaller one for confidence and work your way up.

However - might need to take out a second mortgage to cover the entrance fee angry

WedgiesMum Sat 23-Aug-08 13:01:43

Emailed you at home roisin but just to say if you are there at a weekend in half term then perhaps we could meet up? Is DS's fave day out locally! Can't do during the week as prob going to Germany to see DH who has taken a 6 month contract there.

roisin Sat 23-Aug-08 21:40:39

shockshockshock Why haven't I heard this about dh before?! Has he gone already? Where to? I need to know details!

I haven't had your email though. As you know I'm not at home, but I can access my email...?

roisin Fri 29-Aug-08 22:01:36

Wedgiesmum - I didn't get your email. Mine was throwing a wobbly. Can you re-send please?

Piffle Fri 29-Aug-08 22:04:42

roisin were going to Alton towers on Sunday
Gullivers is sweet for younger kids but bloody hilly!

ethanchristopher Mon 22-Sep-08 23:00:54

American Adventure
Alton Towers
Drayton Manor
Thorpe Park

in that order

Mutt Mon 22-Sep-08 23:03:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now