Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Science museum in London with 4 year old Ds. Any tips?

(14 Posts)
pickie Wed 13-Aug-08 20:07:58

Am going to the science museum tomorrow (very excited!)and have only been in there very briefly many years ago prior to kids grin

Anybody have any tips as where is a MUST to go with DS? Also would you recommend any of the restaurants in the museum or better to go to a restaurant nearby? many thanks!

luckywinner Wed 13-Aug-08 20:10:08

Definitely go downstairs to the basement where the water bit is, I can't remember what it is called but ask the information lady. There is a picnic area there if you can be arsed to make sarnies. The restaurants aren't that great in the museum but I can't think of any good ones nearby at the mo. Have fun! My ds loves it.

funnypeculiar Wed 13-Aug-08 20:11:27

Top floor hands-on bit (launch pad?) & basement hands-on bit had most play value (basement is aimed at preschool, top floor bigger stuff, with lots for a 4yo to enjoy)

My 4 yo loved the rockets, and the transport through the ages bit (st through from main entrance)

We took picnic, so can't help on food front

Have fun smile

funnypeculiar Wed 13-Aug-08 20:13:00

Imho, picnic bit is a bit tat (unlike the nat hist museum picnic area, which I like smile
BUT you are allowed to picnic anywhere that isn't carpetted, iirc so I'd find a quiet corner if you do picnic

pickie Wed 13-Aug-08 20:17:08

thank you, think he would really LOVE the rocket and transport through ages bit.

Was thinking of bringing a picnic but not sure if I want to carry it all but if restaurants arent great (plus I assume long waiting time for food)I might do it after all.

pickie Wed 13-Aug-08 20:18:17

hoping to have enough time to go to Nat Hist. museum too but might be bit too much for one day.

Bellie Wed 13-Aug-08 20:35:28

Went 2 weeks ago with dd (3.9) and she loved the basement bit (the garden) which is hands on for pre-school, and also loved the launchpad (level 3 or 4) again all hands on.

They also run some shows at various times - not sure whether it will be the same as the other saturday but at 2pm in the launchpad lecture room they had a rocket demo where they blew up hyrogen balloons and made a rocket out of a pringels tube! A bit loud but fab!

We eat at the restuarant at the very back of the ground floor - I think it is called deep blue - pretty standard fare - dd had a pizza, dh & I had burgers reasonably priced for a tourist attraction and actually reasonably quick (we got a table straight away at 12.15, but they were queuing for seats when we left at 1.15)

We also did some of the Nat History but after about 30mins dd was 'museumed' out! (tip the restaurant in the Nt Hist is not good imo)

Have fun!

MascaraOHara Wed 13-Aug-08 20:38:36

In the science museum I would recommend the 'musical bridge' (I spent ages dancing on that lol, the basement and also dd loved (was about 4 or 5 at the time) the electric shock machine on the first or second floor.. she loved giving herself an electric shock.

basement is a must, her favourite thing down there was the ghostly handshake!

you won't have time to do science and nat hist.. I spent a whoel day at nat hist and only saw about half of it lol

deanychip Wed 13-Aug-08 20:38:43

launchpad is fab BUT very very busy and noisy.

another to recommend picnic any where there are no carpets, as there are lots of quiet little spots.

We went a week ago, and had to go back again the next day as ds (only just 5) absolutely loved it.

have a lovely time xx

MascaraOHara Wed 13-Aug-08 20:40:11

I've always taken packed lunches.. much easier and lots pof places to sit and eat in both

have fun

mrsbabookaloo Wed 13-Aug-08 20:41:36

Nearest nice place to eat is Carluccio's, other side of S Ken. Great food for adults and they have a great kids menu and are great with kids (eg: bring the kids food as soon as poss, rather than waiting til everything's ready).

Did I mention it's GREAT...?

pickie Wed 13-Aug-08 21:03:56

thanks for all the tips! Mascara which floor is the musical bridge as think DS would love that!

Scuttles off to kitchen to make packed lunch!

MascaraOHara Thu 14-Aug-08 09:04:56

Its in the foyer. if you walk into the main entrance hall-type-bit look up and it's right above you, it's looks perspex-y

pickie Thu 14-Aug-08 19:12:39

thanks mascara, we had a really good time but missed the musical bridge....

both the launch pad and the basement were firm favorites and also the plasticity on level 2 were very much enjoyed

Really wish I could go more often (takes us 4 hours round trip) and especially outside of the school holidays!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now