Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to the Snow Dome in Milton Keynes?

(9 Posts)
gillybean2 Tue 12-Aug-08 14:39:37

Am thinking of taking ds (9.5) there to do the tube slide thing. It's a 2 hour drive each way for us though, so want to know it's going to be worth it!

How busy is it in the holidays?
Any tips on best way to do it?

We have another activity we want to do at Willen Lake too, so it's not the only thing we'll be doing. But just wanted to hear any feedback from anyone who's actually been to the snowdome.

Thanks

gillybean2 Sat 23-Aug-08 12:20:07

bump
Still hoping for some feedback on this. Anyone?

ClareVoiant Sat 23-Aug-08 12:29:22

we live near mk and reguarly go to willen lake, its lovely. loads to do there. what would you like to know?

haven't been to the snow dome for a few years and havnt done the slide thingy, but is good for skiing/snowboarding/tobogonning.... advise booking with them...as it gets very busy in holidays/eves weekends....

gillybean2 Sat 23-Aug-08 13:54:40

It's the climbing place at Willen lake we were going to try. And the slide thing at the snowdome, in the ribber rings.

Is parking a problem at either place and is it expensive to park?

Will probably have to leave it till a weekend during september now as we seem to have run out of time this holiday and I don't have any gloves which you have to wear and shops haven't got any in yet!

Will it be quieter at a weekend outside school hols or should I still book? Problem with booking is we are driving such a long way we could get stuck in traffic etc so need to leave plenty of time. But then if we make it in good time we'll be left waiting around for ages! Better to wait a while then not to get a go at all though!

Thanks

ClareVoiant Sat 23-Aug-08 16:21:22

by the climbing place, do you mean the aerial adventure? if so, you have to book that and they give you a time slot to start in. however, if theyre not busy you can book on the day. we went one morning and paid for my friends son to do it, we had to wait for about an hour before he started iyswim. it looks great (if not somewhat scary), he really enjoyed it. wouldn't mind a go myself. you have to pay to park at willen lake i think its £2 for 3hours (but dont quote me). try and park down by the hotel - not so far to walk! but there's lots of parking.

Parking also good at snowdome. you can park in their car park or we use a multi story nearby which is just £2 for the whole day. I really cant advise you on the slide thingy (didnt even know it existed) i would give them a call and enquire.

as far as travelling goes, willen lake and another lake (caldecott) ten minutes away both have premier Inn's where you can get a family room on a saturday night for £53 - you could make a weekend of it!

gillybean2 Sun 24-Aug-08 10:44:27

Thanks that's really helpful. I have looked at the premier inn's as an option. They says they do rooms for as little as £19 I think, but I can't get any of those deals!

Think I will arrange something for when we are back from Wales. We have a couple of non pupil days before ds goes back to school so maybe we'll try one of those days.

snickersnack Sun 24-Aug-08 10:48:24

The parking at the snowdome is fine thought I remember we got a ticket as it wasn't obvious you had to pay - but that was a few years back. I think booking is definitely a good idea - it didn't feel too crowded as I think they restrict the number of people. I seem to remember we went on a Saturday or Sunday in October or November and it was fine.

I think it's in a leisure complex so there must be other stuff you could do if you got there early. Certainly a cafe or two, but perhaps a cinema? It may well have other things nearby - you could call the tourist office and see if there's a bowling alley or something similar then if you were waiting around it wouldn't matter too much.

ClareVoiant Sun 24-Aug-08 10:54:51

Your welcome, if you think of anything else, ask away....
Is it just you and your ds travelling?

gillybean2 Mon 25-Aug-08 08:53:31

Thanks snickersnack. Think I will prebook before we go and will definitely make sure to check the small print on any car parking signs!

ClareVoiant - Yup just me and ds. Been that way for 9 years. Am thinking if it goes well we might take a friend or two along next time. We live out in the sticks so it takes an hour to drive to most things regardless. So an extra hour for something extra special isn't too bad going for us really. Wanted to try it out first to be sure it was worth it as a day out though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now