Talk

Advanced search

London

(17 Posts)
lulabelle Sun 10-Aug-08 12:11:31

We really want to take the kids to London for a few days at the end of the week, DS1 is desperate to go to Legoland, Science Museum and London Eye, however, upon looking for hotels, can't find anything under £500 for the 2 days just for the accommodation, has anyone done a similar trip, can recommedn somewhere clean to stay for a sensible price?

spicemonster Sun 10-Aug-08 12:25:06

Have you considered YHA? Although end of week is short notice.

lulabelle Sun 10-Aug-08 12:31:08

YHA?

BorntoRun Sun 10-Aug-08 12:33:35

Just booked two family rooms Putney Bridge Premier Inn two nights £320.

lulabelle Sun 10-Aug-08 12:35:19

Sorry to ask a stupid question but is that near the middle of London? I stayed at the Charing Cross Grosvenor on the Strand a few weeks back but that was part of a theatre package? Reading reviews on here I think I'm going to give legoland a miss sad

ghosty Sun 10-Aug-08 12:36:32

YHA = Youth Hostel Association

Years ago I stayed at a Travel Lodge just behind the London Eye ... can't remember the cost but it was reasonable to us at the time ... (skint on Mat leave).

BorntoRun Sun 10-Aug-08 12:37:18

Legoland is pants!! Putney is sw london pretty close to the middle but right on the district tube line. Inner london premiers seemed to be about £90ish a night.

ghosty Sun 10-Aug-08 12:37:20

PS, we LOVED legoland ...

tiredemma Sun 10-Aug-08 12:40:21

Holiday inn Express at Victoria have family rooms.
We stayed in one in feb and the room was £75 per night.

lulabelle Sun 10-Aug-08 13:05:51

Thanks all for your posts, will certainly try and search out the travelodge and holiday inn places and see what I can get. We are usually abroad, I can't believe how much it costs to do these things in Britain!!

spicemonster Sun 10-Aug-08 13:15:46

Welcome to rip off London

Get Oystercards when you get here. They cost 3 quid but make tube/bus travel much cheaper. When you leave, give your card in to the ticket office and you'll get your 3 quid back.

lulabelle Sun 10-Aug-08 13:17:26

I can get Southwark Travelodge, what do you think? Would you eat breakfast there too? Never been to one beforesmile

spicemonster Sun 10-Aug-08 13:18:01

Am assuming your children are under 10 incidentally - they travel free so you only need them for the adult(s)

Sorry yes - YHA is youth hostel assoc. I know there's one just behind St Pauls which has family rooms

spicemonster Sun 10-Aug-08 13:19:41

Southwark is a good place to be. Really nice walk along the river to the London Eye, you're right by the Tate and it's quiet at night. I'd eat breakfast there (unless you're coming Fri-Sun) in which case you could go up to borough market (about 5 mins walk) and get a lovely bacon butty from a man who breeds the pigs

lulabelle Sun 10-Aug-08 13:20:16

They are both under 10, 6 and 2.

nannynick Sun 10-Aug-08 13:58:09

Travel Lodge, Premier Inn and that kind of place will do family rooms quite low cost. Sat 30 August 2008, Bracknell Travel Lodge, Family Room is £50. I find they are a consistent standard, so once you've stayed in one you will know what all their other ones are like. They are quite basic, but that is reflected by their cost. You do need to be travelling by car though, as they can be out-of-town locations.
I would expect one day travel card from Bracknell station to London to cost under £20 per adult. Think the rail enquiries website will show cost details.

Yummymum1 Sun 10-Aug-08 18:19:15

Have just stayed in the premier inn at waterloo in the old county hall building.

Fab location,right by waterloo station,view of london eye from window and aquarium next door.

We were a family of four and paid just over £100 per night.

My 3 day all zone travel card cost £20 and the children travelled free.

Fantastic week!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now