Talk

Advanced search

In London for a week.....any one any ideas apart from the usual touristy things?

(18 Posts)
blossomsmine Fri 08-Aug-08 22:46:13

Hi, i shall be in London for a week and need to find things to do to occupy my days! We have done alot of the touristy stuff...Madame T's, Dungeons, Covent Garden, Oxford Street etc., anyone got any ideas that might be something just 'London' people might know about!!??
Oh, and is Primrose Hill worth a visit?
Thankssmile

FabioFridgeFluffFrenzy Fri 08-Aug-08 22:48:02

I have heard there is a half price ticket booth in Leicester Square (theatre)

Spidermama Fri 08-Aug-08 22:51:23

Primrose Hill is nice if you want a good view of London from a pretty park. Nice cafes too.

I always love walking along the South Bank and at this time of year there are often bits a pieces of dance, or stalls or some kind of festival type thing which you may well chance upon.

Anyway there's lots to look at and you're away from the cars and alongside the calming influence of Old Father Thames. You can also pop into the Tate Modern which is worth a look for the turbine hall alone.

I LOVE the South Bank.

Spidermama Fri 08-Aug-08 22:52:12

You can also take a boat ride along the river. Nice view from the boats. Get off at Greenwich then have a wander round there before comeing back by boat again.

blossomsmine Sat 09-Aug-08 13:54:50

Thanks to you allsmile Think South Bank is a must then, like the idea of a ride on the river too.

fortyplus Sat 09-Aug-08 14:03:00

Go along the South Bank, yes... but while you're there take a Duck Tour! You'll need to book in advance. smile

Also... how about driving out to grotty Neasden to see the wonderful Mandir

I took some Aussie friends recently and they were blown away by it - it's not on the usual 'tourist trail'.

justjules Sat 09-Aug-08 14:03:53

go to borough market

WideWebWitch Sat 09-Aug-08 14:04:01

With children or without?

justjules Sat 09-Aug-08 14:05:36

and here to vinopolis (close to the market iirc0

justjules Sat 09-Aug-08 14:06:36

search this website for cheap offers at famous resturants

WideWebWitch Sat 09-Aug-08 14:08:13

If with children and they are right ages:

Dr Who exhibition at Earls Court is v good, we went this week

Aquarium is fine if you book in advance and then you only have to queue briefly otherwise the queues are HORRENDOUS

I think my children would have liked the Tate Modern Street Art exhibition but we didn't get the chance this week

You could take a ride in a rickshaw, have posh afternoon tea in Claridges or some other great hotel, def go to Borough Market and have lunch, great food there. I know these are touristy things but still fun to do.

Covent Garden is good for street performers if your children might like that and the Science Museum and NAtural History museums are great.

I also love the beauty of the buildings in The City at the weekend when it's all quiet. National Portrait Gallery is great too.

And Brick Lane for a curry is an experience too.

justjules Sat 09-Aug-08 14:10:35

if you go the the botton of the page and then click on offers and then choose the area of london you want,

if you want somewhere well known, harvey nicks are offering 3 courses for about 19 quid

WideWebWitch Sat 09-Aug-08 14:12:43

If you;re NOT with children:

have drinks in the lobby bar at One Alwych, lovely beach bellinis, great service

book dinner at the Boxwood cafe if you don't mind spending a bit

hip hotel bars article

kids article

justjules Sat 09-Aug-08 14:13:04

camden market on a sat/sun is great too

WideWebWitch Sat 09-Aug-08 14:13:56

Oh the great hall at THe British Museum is fab too imo

Have some food in Chinatown

Some of these are quite touristy but still great things to do.

EBenes Sat 09-Aug-08 14:31:16

Spend some time in the parks. Either go up to Regents Park, which is very pretty-pretty, or walk from Oxford Street across Hyde Park to Knightsbridge, much nicer than using tubes and about as fast. Or from Hyde Park directly into Kensington Gardens, where there's a tiny little art gallery called the Serpentine, which looks like this right now:

http://www.serpentinegallery.org/2008/03/forthcomingsummer2008serpent.html

neversaydie Sat 09-Aug-08 19:33:47

My nine year old son (first visit to London) enjoyed the river trip from Westminster to Kew, and the badgers set at Kew. He also enjoyed West Side Story at Saddlers Wells. But the best bit was playing in the water feature running along More London Place on our last morning. Going on the tube, learning how to hail a taxi, the breakfast buffet at the hotel and room service were all appreciated, too. He was less impressed with the London Eye, but is glad he did it!

serin Sun 10-Aug-08 23:43:59

Kensington Park Gardens.
Camden market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now