Talk

Advanced search

CHISLEHURST CAVES......Great day out.

(8 Posts)
Tas1 Thu 07-Aug-08 19:01:22

DH & I took DC's to Chislehurst Caves today,
chislehurstcaves.co.uk
Very cheap to get in, £5 Adult, £3 Kids, Under 5's free.
Tours are every hour on the hour.
The kids loved it, Adults are given an Oil lamp to carry which gives a great atmosphere. The tour guide was great and made it very entertaining. Tour lasted 45mins.
This is a fantastic place to bring DC's when they are studying WW1 & WW2 at school, as caves were used as air raid shelters.
Small cafe, very reasonable.
Small gift shop.

Great day out grin

JudyJones Thu 07-Aug-08 22:17:18

I agree. Really amazing place - always imagined it was a couple of tiny little caves, but it is an immense, historic place.

Ags Thu 07-Aug-08 22:56:06

Am interested to know what age your dc's are. Mine are quite young (2 and 4) and I wondered if it would be suitable. I live quite close and have wanted to go for ages.

Kbear Thu 07-Aug-08 22:59:11

are the Daleks still down there? DH went to take the kids last year but there was a coach load of schoolkids going down there so he thought better of it. Much better in small groups, for atmosphere!!!

Marina Thu 07-Aug-08 23:42:08

Ags, I think Chislehurst Caves might be a bit much for them if they are at all nervous of the dark etc
Ds first went when he was four but has nerves of steel. Dd is five and we still have not taken her.
Chislehurst Caves is a fab day out, agreed We liked the idea of it being used as a rock concert venue.

JudyJones Fri 08-Aug-08 09:55:01

Sadly, I have to confess that it in my case was me, 31, and my mum, 61 and Dad, 66. And we were unnerved - but we are all far more easily spooked than the average child. Yes, we are the original Wimp Family Robinson.

I guess it depends on the children - my very tough nieces, aged five and up, would love it, I think. But for one nervous five year old I know I think it would be too much. Other than that, hard to say - only a mum-to-be, and so not yet sure activities are suitable for what ages...

Ags Fri 08-Aug-08 14:51:21

Thanks Marina and lol Judy at Wimp Family Robinson.

Tas1 Fri 08-Aug-08 17:39:32

My daughter is 5.5, she was fine as long as she held onto DH's hand. She has been in caves before at Wookey Hole and Chedder Gorge, so the experience wasnt totaly new to her.
One Dad had to take his 4 yr old out as he kept crying.
I think the male tour guides tend to make it creepier and scarier than the female guide who we had, she was more into history rather than making us jump.

Still a fab day out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now