Talk

Advanced search

LEGOLAND is officially the crappiest theme park I have ever been to ........................

(47 Posts)
mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 11:16:08

So we went yesterday and luckily were blessed with the weather.
However our vouchers were not valid (must read small print in future) so paid full price.
Wish I hadnt bothered, having just gone to Alton Towers 2 weeks ago, it made legoland look like a gypsy run fairground.

The ride operators were so slow they were almost going backwards, the toilets were filthy even at 10am in the morning. The queues were unbelieveable, having queued at AT for a maximum of an hour even on big rides like Air and Rita, I foud myself queuing in excess of an hour for the Dragons Apprentice (WTF?) and Pirate Falls.
There were just too many people there and not enough room for them, the bins were overflowing, there were no real green areas for you to eat your picnic.

I am gutted I spent £61 to go when AT is the same price and far better organised, cleaner, more staff, better rides.

If I thought it would get anywhere Id complain but I really cant be bothered

FabioFridgeFluffFrenzy Thu 07-Aug-08 11:18:28

I try to avoid places like that in the summer hols - I think they let in too many people and everyone has a shite time.

Legoland etc best for inset days etc, imo. But I will keep an eye out for AT threads if you reckon that's ok in the holidays...

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 11:20:26

I am sorry you didn't have a good time there Mosschops. I have to admit I have never been to AT so don't have a comparison but Some of the things you found I find really sad because we were there on monday, there was no rubish on the floor, loads of bins everywhere, loads and loads of green picnic areas.

The Wait to go on the rides I agree is dreadful but I just assumed it was like this at most theme parks, certainly was like this last time we went to disney.

I think you should write to let them know that you were disapointed, you may not get anywhere but at least balance out all the feedback they get from the people who have had a good time.#

shock that your vouchers weren't valid were they the tesco ones?

Pinkchampagne Thu 07-Aug-08 11:20:53

I was feeling that I was depriving my children as they are the only children I know that haven't experienced Legoland! Everyone goes on about how good it is, but after reading your thread, I don't feel in too much of a hurry to go there now!

mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 11:29:40

The fact that its the summer hols should be irrelavent, we went to AT in the hols, and on a weekend and it was just fine.
I must admit I felt a lot safer at Alton Towers, staff much more visible, plenty of toilets and that lovely big green by the lake.
I have no idea where you found the green areas at Legoland.
Pinkchampagne I wouldnt worry about not taking your kids there, take them to AT instead, rides at Storybook land for ds (3) averaged 10 minute wait, and much more for dd (aged 12) to do, she was pretty bored yesterday.

The vouchers were sainsburys days out, and it really p*sed me off that they would have been valid at AT but not valid at legoland for any dates in August .... its clearly all about the money for them! I wouldnt have paid £20 to go, and certainly wont again.
It was £35 for me, £26 for dd and £26 for ds, he would have been free at AT as under 4 (not under 3's as at Lego), so the day wouldve cost us £35 as dd could have gone as my free adult.

God I am so massively wound up about this, dont know why grin

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 07-Aug-08 11:46:46

It is understandable that you are wound up by it,, the day was a huge disapointment for you!!

I didn't realise about those sainsbury's vouchers not being valid in august, we have them and were going to use them somewhere else I will look now to see if we can still use them !

Do write to them - get it off your chest.

lazaroulovespastries Thu 07-Aug-08 11:49:51

My parents took the kids on a bank holiday and they said it was impossible to really get on anything. They also managed to lose ds in the cafe. Or rather, they didn't lose him, he went to get some sauce and stirrers!

belgo Thu 07-Aug-08 11:51:58

My friend went to legoland recently and said it is worth paying about 10 pounds extra for a voucher to queue jump.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 07-Aug-08 11:53:29

It is extortionate. I really wouldn't pay full price. I also don't go when it is busy.
I live jsut downt he road from it and go couple times a week while the kids are at school.
It isn't really a big theme park like at, it's really better for preschoolers.

poorbuthappy Thu 07-Aug-08 11:55:45

Completely agree - went a few years ago and didn't impress us at all.

AvenaLife Thu 07-Aug-08 11:57:28

Legoland is for children, hence no big rides. I took ds there a few years ago for the fireworks and he had a great time. I'd avoid all parks at this time of the year because everyone has the same idea. They can't help it if they are busy.

MehgaLegs Thu 07-Aug-08 11:57:44

We had a good experience at Legoland but we were lucky enough to go on an April INSET day so it was quiet. Sorry you had a crap day.

mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 12:19:26

No I agree they cant help being busy, but they should be prepared for that.

I have just emailed a customer service review to legoland and raised the points i have mentioned on here about toilets, invisible staff, lost children policies etc.

Thought Id better balance it out by emailing AT too and telling them what theyre doing right smile

MingMingtheWonderPet Thu 07-Aug-08 12:22:06

We went to Legoland recently and I agree that they are painfully slow at getting the rides filled and started. If they sped that up then there would be a quicker turnover of people and less of a queue.

newpup Thu 07-Aug-08 12:44:13

My DDs are 9 & 6 , so now too old for Legoland but we took them a few years ago after hearing how good it was. We thought it was dreadful, we had vouchers so did not pay full admission price but even so it was extortionate. The toilets were filthy even first thing and it was packed to bursting they clearly had too many people there. A lot of the ice cream stops had run out of ice cream. We expected it to be busy but not so busy you could not stretch without bumping into someone. The queues were huge and the rides were not that good anyway. I have never been to Alton Towers so can not compare the two. I would not go back to legoland and would not recommend it either. I would never pay full price to get in!!

staryeyed Thu 07-Aug-08 12:56:19

We went last year and September and had a fantastic time. Ds was just big enough to get on a good number of rides and he really enjoyed it. Its more for younger children though.

ash6605 Thu 07-Aug-08 13:30:23

I have to disagree I'm afraid,we were there last week and found none of the problems you have described,other than the queues which you get anywhere during school holidays.
We have been to Alton Towers,Flamingoland,Disney,Diggerland,Longleat etc and ALL are busy at this time of year.
In fact,our children(4) and (8) said that it was one of the best places they have ever been and they'd love to go again.

HumphreyPinCushion Thu 07-Aug-08 13:35:15

I think Legoland charge way too much for what they have to offer in comparison to other theme parks.

edam Thu 07-Aug-08 13:42:15

Legoland is extortionate and I agree that the staff are far too slow at getting the rides started causing longer queues than are necessary. Service in the cafes is not good enough either - they need more staff and more places to eat.

We always go with MIL's Tesco vouchers, bless her - no way I would pay full price. (Ds loves it and it's very near MIL so we end up going a couple of times each year.)

Worst thing was when we took MIL and used one of the park's wheelchairs (she's getting increasingly immobile - can walk but not around a theme park). She ended up with a really bad back. Luckily when she saw her GP, she discovered she could get a wheelchair made to her measurements on the NHS, something she wouldn't have known otherwise.

LynetteScavo Thu 07-Aug-08 13:45:33

Agree the toilets are horrid. We went in the spring when it had just opened for the year, adn the toilets really needed a deep clean - the kind of thing they could have done over the winter.

What is AT like for little ones - I think of it as a place for big boys (ie DH)

mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 14:01:54

How old are yours lynettescavo?

We went and were 4 adults, 12, 8, 4 and 3. All of us had a fab day. Lots for everyone, and they do a fab queue share so the dh's would go and queue for something adult, then we would take the lo's on something, as they were nearing the front, they could call us and as they came off the two dw's went on at the exit without queuing. Although you can use your 'other parent' slot at anytime in the day.
Storybook Land was great for the lo's, squirrel nutkin, dragon coaster and tractors all with 5-10 minutes queuing time. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory also great, about 15 mins queue. We all went on Rapids and Log Flume, about 45 mins queueing each time, they also went on Runaway Mine TRain which again was about 15 mins queue time.

Compared to Legoland where we went on about 5 rides all day, at AT we did 7 rides with the lo's alone not including the extra big ones we did (spinball whizzer, rita, enterprise and Air)

Much better value IMHO and better for all concerned, little ones, bigger kids and the adults

IlanaK Thu 07-Aug-08 14:15:43

We love Legoland and had tesco annual vouchers last year. HOWEVER, we only ever go during school term time (we home school). It is very empty, clean, etc. We take packed lunch as the food is rubbish, and we have a great time. I made the mistake once of going on a weekend in the summer so that my husband could come with. It was a nightmare - we queued forever to get in, and only managed to get on about three rides the whole day. It really was god aweful. But every other time I have gone, we have been on endless rides all day and really enjoyed it.

mysonsmummy Fri 08-Aug-08 17:49:15

we have merlin annual passess that i get through tesco vouchers. i hate the queues tooo. we are off the southend funfair tomorrow. the rides are fantastic for ds 6 age group. roller coasters etc. the queues are no where hear as long as legoland/chessington in the summer. great day out. wristbands are £15 for his age and i pay for them with tesco vouchers as well. and i get to go on everything with him for free.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 08-Aug-08 17:49:45

Message withdrawn

cornsilk Fri 08-Aug-08 17:53:22

we have only been to lego land out of school holiday time and it is great - no queues. I would be mightily pissed off as well in your shoes mosschops. Haven't taken ds's to AT yet - must give it a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now