Talk

Advanced search

West Yorkshire here we come

(22 Posts)
Mikafan Wed 06-Aug-08 13:01:51

Hi,
We're off to West Yorkshire for a week on Saturday and was wondering if you could recommend anywhere in particular we should visit, particularly indoor places in case the weather is crap. It would be 2 adults and 2 childen, DS of 8 and DD, 15 months so we'll have a pushchair to negotiate places with. Also, is there any food/food places we Southerners should try while we're there?

Thanks alot.

elkiedee Wed 06-Aug-08 13:04:18

Whereabouts are you staying?

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 06-Aug-08 13:09:20

The cheese factory at Wensleydale.

Bolton Abbey

Castle Bolton

Whereabouts are you going, Yorkshire is a bloody big county with a billion nice things to do in every few square miles.

themoon66 Wed 06-Aug-08 13:11:04

Whereabouts are you staying?

Mikafan Wed 06-Aug-08 13:22:42

staying on a farm in Long Preston

Lastyearsmodel Wed 06-Aug-08 13:32:05

Eureka kids' museum at Halifax, Salts Mill at Saltaire north of Bradford - David Hockney place, fabulous food in the cafe.
Expect a lot of weather up there! But it's beautiful and the people are great.

themoon66 Wed 06-Aug-08 13:45:51

Long Preston is lovely. smile

Mikafan Wed 06-Aug-08 13:46:58

ooh good, glad to hear it The scenery looks spectacular

Mikafan Wed 06-Aug-08 14:02:21

anyone else have any suggestions?

ruddynorah Wed 06-Aug-08 14:04:43

st leanord's farm at esholt, just north west of leeds.

Tobermory Wed 06-Aug-08 14:16:07

magna in south yorkshire

national museum of film and television - bradford

coal mining museum nr. wakefield

the Deep - Hull

cannon hall farm nr. barnsley

railway museum, York

Not sure how far you wanted to travel, possiblty some a little too far away?

Yorkiegirl Wed 06-Aug-08 14:17:52

Message withdrawn

fluffyanimal Wed 06-Aug-08 14:19:56

I can second the recommendation for Eureka near Halifax, also Bolton Abbey and Fountains Abbey are both gorgeous.

themoon66 Wed 06-Aug-08 14:28:19

Magna, The Deep and Cannon Hall Farm are an awful long way from Long Preston if you have small DCs.

the Imax cinema in Bradford is do-able. It is part of the museum of film and photography. Park in Ilkley and get the train to Bradford. The car park near the museum is notorious for car crime/break-ins.

Ilkley is lovely (I would say that coz I was born and brought up there).

Best fish and chips in the world - Busy Lizzies overlooking the canal in Skipton. Order the Jumbo Haddock and Chips. (Don't go to Harry Ramsdens).

nooonit Wed 06-Aug-08 14:40:13

Round Malham is lovely for walking.

We go through Long Preston quite often as DP likes Rohan (outdoorsy / walking) clothes and they have their clearance shop there and often have bargains.

Bowland Wild Boar Park is great - have a look but prob too far west.

Skipton is a lovely little market town with a castle.

Bolton Abbey good for a visit with stepping stones over the river.

Caves at Ingleton with Ribblehead Viaduct for the Settle to Carlisle line nearby.

Haven't been but {{www.thethreefishes.com The Three Fishes]] at Mitton, nr Whalley seems to be popular at the moment.

Also The Inn at Whitewell - not been for a couple of years but food always lovely.

Notice I'm dragging you gradually into Lancashire - I'm a red rose girl originally now living in South Yorkshire.

Hope these help - have a lovely time!

nooonit Wed 06-Aug-08 14:43:22

Bugger The Three Fishes - better luck this time!

Mikafan Wed 06-Aug-08 14:45:49

like the sound of the fish and chips themoon66, we were planning on going to Skipton and maybe taking a cruise on the canal so will look out for Busy Lizzies.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to post/linking me to places.

themoon66 Wed 06-Aug-08 17:31:47

The canal cruises in Skipton go from just behind the Bizzie Lizzie fish restaurant. Sit upstairs inside and get a window seat... you can see the narrow boats coming and going below you then smile

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 06-Aug-08 22:30:22

We are only an hours drive from Skipton but this thread has got me planning a trip there for a canal cruise, fish and chips...

When I was little we went to the castle, had the tour, and the guide switched the light off in the dungeons. I still remember how horrible it was.

We have been to the Wild Boar Park and its fab, I love the stroking chickens in the barn bit. after 2 mins all the kids get bored and there are 100 dads all sat on the straw bales not knowing what to do with the chick thats just pooed on their hand grin

Mikafan Thu 07-Aug-08 08:14:42

it sounds like a great area to explore - we are really looking forward to it. We're also looking forward to trying some 'brack' and a proper Yorkshire pudding

lunamoon2 Thu 07-Aug-08 20:30:42

Hi

You could try Xscape, just off the m62 at Glasshoughton (Junction 32)there is an outlet for shopping- Next, Monsoon, Regatta etc etc. Plus lots of places to eat, cinema, indoor soft play area with cosmic golf, indoor rock climbing, skiing etc etc.
Or The York Maze we went today and had a great time althogh it is outdoors. There are lots of other play things for the kids apart from the maze and there is a farm too.

Mikafan Fri 08-Aug-08 09:17:20

thanks for that lunamoon2 but I think the maze is too far for us really. Looks like a week will not be enough time with all we have to do I am so looking forward to it despite the crappy weather forecast for the next five days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now