Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to go nearish Exmouth?

(17 Posts)
lilyfire Mon 04-Aug-08 21:23:30

Am going to house sit for a friend in Exmouth next week, with my 5mo, 2yo and 5yo sons and my mother. Any ideas where we can go where sons can't do too much damage and there's at least a possibility my mum might have a good time (she's really into gardens, places of historic interest etc)? I have a car and don't mind driving for about 40mins or so (after that 2yo starts throwing things at me).

JuneBugJen Mon 04-Aug-08 21:29:50

go to Darts Farm. Its just near topsham.
We spend so much time there, its a lovely cafe, gorgeous shops and farmers markety thing all under one roof. for the kids there is the odd animal and tractors to climb on etc.

Other place we love is Bicton. Its got a beautiful garden for your ma, a great play area including soft play if it is blah outside and an ok cafe. Take a picnic! (little bitfurther away but worth it.)

Those are the places we live at!

JuneBugJen Mon 04-Aug-08 21:31:25

Think both have website.

You can also go to Crealy Adventure Park which is great for the older 2, but can be grim in the height of summer and expensive. Bicton is nicer all round.

wessexgirl Mon 04-Aug-08 21:32:00

Seconding Bicton - it has been a hit with every generation of my family.

We went to some farm museum type place near there as well, but can't remember the name. It had soft play, lots of animals, a little train ride etc. Was actually in Exmouth iirc.

lilyfire Mon 04-Aug-08 22:03:15

thanks. I thought Bicton looked good, so nice to have confirmation and have been to Dart's Farm (but forgotten about it) and it was good (although easy to spend too much money in the shop). Will check tourist information for farm museum type place as that sounds ideal. Was thinking about Crealy , but think might just be too manic in August for my mum.

kennythekangaroo Mon 04-Aug-08 22:07:51

The donkey sanctuary in Sidmouth is free and has some nice walks round.

We then go down to Sidmouth itself for a paddle, you might enjoy Branscombe beach but it's a pebbly one.

lilyfire Tue 05-Aug-08 20:18:10

thanks. donkey sanctuary sounds good. it's my middle son's 2nd birthday while we're there and he's v excited about donkeys and horses.

OrmIrian Tue 05-Aug-08 20:20:35

Killerton House has beautiful gardens. NT I think. Also somewhere else - full of pre-Raphaelite type interiors - that my ancient brain can't remember. I will think a bit harder and get back to you,

Bendi Tue 05-Aug-08 23:41:40

Hope I'm not too late, try Powderham Castle on the other side of the estuary. Drive past Darts Farm & keep going through Topsham, then turn left. The castle is great, really, 'castle''ish.... & they have ponies, chickens, lovely walks & a big wooden play castle thing,all on the banks of the Exe - we've had some brilliant times there.

Dawlish is a bit further on from there & is nice old sea sidey place - very 'Agatha Christie & cream scones' iykwim. Love it lots...

Also, there is the outdoor play park place on the front at Exmouth, quite a way along the front, next to the crazy golf & the cricket club. You pay a couple of quid entry & it is all grassed so you can take a book & a picnic.

Last one; there is a private club, the Cranford I think it's called, have a look on line, they have a lovely outdoor pool, good bar & food, tennis courts, blah, blah. Not sure, they may do day or week memberships, but definately worth a look - it's lovely.

Have a great time envy - wish we still had friends to house sit for in Exmouth. Met a fabulous MN'er down there, did me a huge favour at the time.

lilyfire Wed 06-Aug-08 18:19:21

OrmIrian - thank you Killerton House looks good and I'd not heard of it before. Am thinking my mum could go round the house and children and I can run round the gardens.
Bendi - ditto Powderham Castle looks great, should keep everyone happy. Have you been to Dawlish Warren? we've only been to the beach across on the boat, but not to the resort and thought might try it, but wondering how packed it gets.
Am hoping we'll have a good time, but bit stressed about keeping everyone happy without CBeebies and our other security blankets.

JuneBugJen Wed 06-Aug-08 19:59:22

you are right bendi - powderham great. Is the train still there? If not, there is one at Bicton.
Powderham has a fantastic 'secret garden' with cute animals etc.

mumma2cjh Thu 07-Aug-08 17:06:53

you MUST go to Bigbury on Sea a good drive but has the most amazing beach, rock pools, sands, sea and little pub on the beach!!! Also has the Art Decor Hotel on their called Burgh Island and when the tide comes up you can go back and forth on a sand tractor.

We stayed at Exmouth last year but went to Bigbury most days - I love the place.

Also at Sandy Bay next to Haven site there is a place called "Country World of Adventure" or something like that - again fabulous full day out - would really recommend that

lilyfire Thu 07-Aug-08 21:59:53

mumma2cjh - thanks. just had a look at some Bigbury photos and it looks lovely. tractor ride would be a big hit. will give it a try.

gothicmama Thu 07-Aug-08 22:02:24

Michael Caine celb chef bloke has hotel / bistro bistro does meals free for under 5's

kennythekangaroo Thu 07-Aug-08 22:09:37

Powderham has got a pirate theme on all next week and Killerton has a knights and dragons day at some point .

LocalFamilyStuffDotCom Mon 10-Oct-11 14:19:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

LocalFamilyStuffDotCom Mon 10-Oct-11 14:19:34

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now