Talk

Advanced search

Bristol Balloon Fiesta...is it worth going?

(10 Posts)
futurity Mon 04-Aug-08 18:42:55

We are on holiday from Friday and staying near Cheddar and we are pondering driving up to the Balloon Fiesta over the weekend. We haven't pre-booked a parking space and DH is worrying firstly about traffic and secondly whether it is worth going during the day or if it is best first thing in the morning or later in the evening (something to do with that is when balloons tend to fly so there won't be any during the day!?!). You can tell he is flapping so any local knowledge welcome!

bratnav Mon 04-Aug-08 18:48:08

Probably best to go at around 5-6pm ish, or daft o'clock in the morning. Definitely worth going, shame you can't go on Thursday night as that is when the balloon glow is on IIRC. DCs always adore watching all the balloons go up.

Not sure about parking, your best bet is probably to look on the council website for details.

Sorry can't be more help, used to live there, but since I moved away last year I can't go now sad

bratnav Mon 04-Aug-08 18:49:40

here is the fiesta's website

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 04-Aug-08 18:58:17

I've lived in Bristol for 10 yrs or so, have been to the Fiesta several times before children. Don't know if I'd been keen to take DS (2) as if the weather's nice it is usually heaving.

The parking thing is a bit of a problem since they started closing the suspension bridge for the duration - we used to park in Clifton and walk over. There should be buses that go up from the centre, from outside the Colston Hall I think?

Lovely to see the balloons going up tho, there are (really) early morning and evening flights, also a night glow usually. All weather dependent of course.

navyeyelasH Mon 04-Aug-08 19:11:49

I live in Bristol and love love love the Balloon Fiesta! We always camp over the night before so that we can watch nightglow & fireworks. Then in the morning we watch the balloons take off then head back to the tent for some more snoozes if we can get the little ones to settle, then get up and have some breakfast and then have a look around at the entertainment. There is always a fair, food & craft stalls, and other various things going on throughout the day, also a sort of crèche for the children if needed.

There are plenty of places to park around Ashton Court and I can even offer you a space in Bristol City Centre (where I live!). It depends on whether you'd like tog et a bus to the site / talk a walk (50 mins). Parking on site can be a bit of a nightmare as it does et v v busy and if it rains the cars get stuck in the mud! but there is plenty of residential parking around the site just not as convenient (do have to talk up quite a steep path for access to Ashton park so depends on your LO's I guess). Best time to go also depends on your LO's but the flights are normally 6am-6pm and the nightglows & fireworks are at 9.30pm Thurs & Sat (but think they might have an extra one this year!). So if your children can handle the pace and you only have 1 day going in the evening around 5pm and leaving around 10.30pm is your best bet.

You can look at videos of last years one here: www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/articles/2007/08/15/fiesta_video_feature.shtml

There are loads of things going on in Bristol especially during the summer months have a look at http://www.whatsonbristol.co.uk/ and bristol's netmums for local events taking place during your potential visit.

Hope this helps, any more questions let me know!

futurity Mon 04-Aug-08 20:45:19

thanks for all your responses...given me lots to think about.

and thanks for those links navyeyelasH , I am sorting my holiday itinary out tomorrow so I will have a look for ideas.

I think evening sounds better as I don't fancy stupid o'clock in the morning with two DS's (aged 6.5 and 3.5). The bus also sounds like a good idea...found this link on the fiesta website showing the bus route...where would be the best place to park a car to get a bus would you say?

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 04-Aug-08 20:52:56

We maybe there too! If anyone sees a Muslim lady with a DS in a Mac buggy - tweak yer nipples at me and then I'll recogise you as a fellow mason mumsnetter!!

wink

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 04-Aug-08 21:02:51

futurity - as well as the balloons there are loads of food and craft stalls, local radio usually does a roadshow etc, prob a kids area too (not something I would have considered when we last went!)

Enjoy yourself and hope weather clears up for you

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 04-Aug-08 21:05:29

I've just looked at the weather for Sat...looks like rain..ffs! Is this the wettest summer we have had? By comparison, DH's home town in the Mid East is 35 every day..ok too hot really but would like a bit more sun!!!

quint Mon 04-Aug-08 21:08:55

Definitely go as theres lots to do other than watch balloons. If they do go up its great, I've been 3 times now and only seen them go up once but enjoyed the other times too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now