Talk

Advanced search

Glasgow and surrounds with 2 under 5s

(61 Posts)
Haylstones Sat 02-Aug-08 20:12:22

I haven't lived in Scotland since before we had dd aged 4 and ds 5 months so would appreciate any suggestions for a week we are spending there at the end of the month.
We will mostly be on the west coastal side of Scotland but Glasgow area is within easy reach. SHould be able to access a car but not guaranteed!
Anyone?

geordieminx Sat 02-Aug-08 20:29:32

Loch lomond shores is nice if the weather is good - visitor centre, aquarium (£££££'s), playground, few shops, boats you can hire.

Xscape at Braehead is nice for a mooch about if weather crap?

Blairdrummond Safari park is fab - quite pricey - although not as bad as aquarium, and you can easily spend a day there.

Not sure if they would be too young for the science centre?

Parks - Pollock, Calderglen, Strathclyde, Victoria are all lovely.

A day in Ayr is always a winner with wee ones - ypical seasidey place?

Haylstones Sat 02-Aug-08 20:33:20

Thanks, haven't been to Loch Lomond for years so didn't realise there was kid stuff to do there.
Xscape a very good idea as is the science centre, although I'm not sure if dh will be able to come with us so maybe a trifle tricky on my own.
Don't want to say exactly where we're going to be as it will be a huge giveaway as to my RL identity but it's more the coastal side of Glasgow so it would need to be something pretty exciting/fun to get us that far!
Much to muse on, ta

ExterminAitch Sat 02-Aug-08 20:33:58

you can often get half-price tix for the aquarium if you book through lastminute.com. weird but true.

pollok park is STUNNING. FANTASTIC swingpark, trampoline etc outside the burrell, lovely things to do at pollok house. i think it was something like the best park in UK last year.

and dd is 2 and a half and loves the science centre and the tall (pirate) ship a short walk across the river.

ExterminAitch Sat 02-Aug-08 20:34:48

oh, and go to the west end of glasgow if you want to keep prices low, transport museum and kelvingrove are there and both free.
(as are all museums in g'gow)

geordieminx Sat 02-Aug-08 20:35:17

Aitch - I've just got back from fmaily fun day at Pollock - it was fab!!

expatinscotland Sat 02-Aug-08 20:36:32

we did a cruise on Loch Lomond. it was a bit of a treat, but great fun on a good weather day!

geordieminx Sat 02-Aug-08 20:36:42

RL identity? I'm confused.... Are you famous?

Haylstones Sat 02-Aug-08 20:41:30

LOl, definitely not famous but think I give away quite a lot of info on here and if I say where I am staying (where I was brought up) it will be extremely obvious who I am to anybody who knows me irl as it is a really small town.
Am probably being paranoid smile

Haylstones Sat 02-Aug-08 20:42:31

Transport Museum sounds like a good idea, I remember going there loads when I was young.
I can't remember anything I did, haven't lived there for nearly 8 years sad

geordieminx Sat 02-Aug-08 20:44:36

At Strathclyde park they have an indoor rainforest which is pretty good - wee monkeys and butterflies and such like

Haylstones Sat 02-Aug-08 20:45:50

Where is Strathclyde Park?

geordieminx Sat 02-Aug-08 20:47:41

Just off the M74 near Hamilton - maybe a wee bit far?

They have loads to do mind - M&D's theme park, (usually full of neds but thats theme parks for you), bowling, soft play, boating on the lake (or loch wink), rainforest place, lots of parks around the water.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Sat 02-Aug-08 20:49:56

Kelvingrove and Transport Museums ( they have Balamory vehicles!), Science Park. M&D's

Haylstones Sat 02-Aug-08 20:51:42

Ah of course. I have been there, wasn't connecting it with that name for some reason!
All great ideas. We're staying about 45 mins from Glasgow plus a ferry crossing (anyone local probably immediately worked out where I mean smile so it isn't really straight forward to get there more than once or twice so want to get it right!

geordieminx Sat 02-Aug-08 20:53:16

If I had to pick oneplace it would be the safari park - its up near Strling but not that far really - definately worth it!!

Haylstones Sat 02-Aug-08 20:59:08

Fab, some really great ideas. I'll ask dh if he has been to any of them and have a think about where we should go. smile

expatinscotland Sat 02-Aug-08 21:00:17

i long to go to kelvingrove. scared of parking, though.

ANTagony Sat 02-Aug-08 21:00:34

If you want a big day out....
You could get ferry across firth of clyde at greenock and drive up loch long and around Loch Fyne - really stunning and the journey is split by the fun quite short ferry ride. One way I don't think the ferry was much with car.

Loch Fyne restaurant is really accommodating of lively children (mine were 18mths and 3 when I took them last year) Great for adults to.

Carry on round the loch to Inverarry - the jail is a great cheap visit and the boat mored outside does a cracking afternoon tea.

Drive back along the one edge of Loch Fyne across to Lomond and back down to Glasgow.

Haylstones Sat 02-Aug-08 21:01:48

I've never ventured to Kelvingrove actually. DH is Glaswegian so he would probably be OK with getting there.
Now I'm inundated with ideas and can't make my mind up grin

ExterminAitch Sat 02-Aug-08 21:03:24

scared of parking? there's a muckle great car park (£3 for four hours i think) and all around is metered. although the local area might be free on a sunday, used to be at any rate.

Haylstones Sat 02-Aug-08 21:03:54

Ahem... I will be on the other side of that ferry crossing lol. Sounds like a good idea just to do a bit of driving and take in the scenery though

expatinscotland Sat 02-Aug-08 21:04:15

ah, that is good to know!

i was afraid it would be like Embra.

i should have known better wink.

ExterminAitch Sat 02-Aug-08 21:10:28

i will not take a car to embra.

ANTagony Sat 02-Aug-08 21:10:57

Sorry see where you are now - slow at typing you see.

If you go north of Loch Fyne and up you hit hollow mountain - great fun and interacive displays for the kids. All weather thing and you get to go 1/2 a mile under the mountain in a bus which is really cool and see the inner workings of the power station.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now