Talk

Advanced search

Charlie & Lola at the Polka Theatre London - What a complete rip-off!

(11 Posts)
MsDemeanor Sun 27-Jul-08 21:22:24

Took kids to see this today and am just so pissed off! It was a special treat and I thought it would be like other Polka shows such as Bear Hunt and Flat Stanley - ie great actors, imaginative staging, great rapport with the audience. Instead it was a 'puppet show' - ie people in old black t shirts and grey combats just standing there on stage holding cardboard cut outs of C&L, while a prerecorded soundtrack played excerts from the TV shows! Unbelievable!
Even the kids in the theatre were bored and restless and I was so pissed off I complained which I never do.
Apparently the theatre 'worked with the BBC' ie did a crap, duller version of the TV show instead of a play.
Grrrr! I want my money back!

1dilemma Sun 27-Jul-08 21:58:11

Blimey I'm glad I didn't go now!!
I did go to a craft thing there that was a complete rip off too once but just left it. I was wondering about tickets for Brilliant?!

staryeyed Sun 27-Jul-08 22:04:17

That's not theatre! I would be asking for a refund!

MsDemeanor Mon 28-Jul-08 14:27:03

The theatre said everyone else loved it. I couldn't believe it!

branflake81 Mon 28-Jul-08 15:06:18

It got really good reviews in the paper. Shame you did not enjoy it.

Twiglett Mon 28-Jul-08 15:09:39

oh it sounds dire

may I recommend the UNicorn Theatre by London Bridge (nowt on at the moment but generally great shows)

MsDemeanor Mon 28-Jul-08 15:09:40

I cannot imagine why. The little girl sitting next to me begged to go home for most of the second half, and the family behind me left at the interval.
I just cannot believe the whole thing was done to a pre-recorded sound-track. I have never come across that at the theatre before.

Snaf Mon 28-Jul-08 15:25:16

Am glad I didn't get around to buying tickets for this. Was going to take ds for his birthday but was not organised enough - now I can pretend it was intentional...

Turniphead1 Mon 28-Jul-08 15:35:33

Sounds rubbish! We are going to see Fifi and the Flowertots in September (may God give me shelter...). Dread to think what it will be like.

Blu Fri 01-Aug-08 19:05:59

Sorry you didn't like it - Polka shows are usually v good - DS still rates Flat Stanley as his favourite theatre show so far.
oh - except for 'Lighten Up' at Unicorn.

hatrick Fri 01-Aug-08 19:12:25

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now