Talk

Advanced search

cornwall beaches - yes I have read other posts

(34 Posts)
cazzybabs Fri 25-Jul-08 15:33:52

We are staying near St. Austell, close to Par beach, but anyone got any ohter nice beaches near there...sandy or with rock pools?

LIZS Fri 25-Jul-08 15:42:12

Gorran Haven - don't get cut off by the tide thoguh , it comes in quickly. Small, sheltered and has rocks.

cazzybabs Fri 25-Jul-08 18:35:43

thanks...any others?

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 18:37:20

I'm lurking with interest on this thread, we are going to Perrnaporth ans I would also like to know if there are any sandy coves nearby

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 18:38:16

Lets just keep unashamedly bumping this cazzy!

JRocks Fri 25-Jul-08 18:42:22

beaches near St Austell here

Near Perranporth you have all the newquay beaches, obviously. Crantock is nice, but others here St Agnes is quite small and a bit stony, but Porthtowan is okay.

Shan't be telling you where my beach is of course grin

redflipflops Fri 25-Jul-08 18:46:49

www.cornwallbeachguide.co.uk

Chapel Porth near Perranporth is beautiful NT beach. Don't go at high tide as beach too small!

Carlyon Bay is near Par.

check out website

funnykc Fri 25-Jul-08 18:55:19

Carlyon Bay is really close and quite nice.

Charlestown doesn't have a beach but is great for clambering over rocks and looking in small rock pools (not that brilliant for toddlers though)

Have fun xx

Jacanne Fri 25-Jul-08 19:09:35

Perranporth beach is absolutely beautiful - stretches of fine sand and sand dunes.

cazzybabs Fri 25-Jul-08 19:25:08

wicked - thanks

JROCKS - fair enough

hotpasty Fri 25-Jul-08 19:40:41

DH is a St Austell boy - recommends Porthpean for rock pools, Menabilly (beautiful, secluded) near Blackhead, and Caerhays (asbout 20 mins away) - sandy, small shop and toilet, unspoilt and loads of parking near the beach.

Hughjarsss - my parents live in Perranporth so we go there alot. It's quite touristy but the beach is great for children. We go to Porthtowan alot now - it used to be a bit down at heel but is now quite hip whilst still unspoilt. Has a really nice bar near the beach, big car park and toilets nearby (always my main priority!). Hope the sun shines for you!

cornishpasty Fri 25-Jul-08 19:44:04

Hiya,
I live in Par and would recommend Polkerris Beach which is very close to Par Beach and Porthpean is also a good one. Charlestown does have two beaches but they're both pebble beaches not sand. Have a great holiday.

cornishpasty Fri 25-Jul-08 19:44:52

There's a pasty thing going on here!!!

ChasingSquirrels Fri 25-Jul-08 19:57:09

Caerhays is lovely, worth the 20 min drive.

Xanthe Fri 25-Jul-08 20:03:10

Another vote for Caerhays beach (also known as Porthluney Cove) = beautiful, safe, sandy beach with a backdrop of fields and tall trees. Just wosh we were there now ...

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 21:19:27

Whilst all you lovely cornwall knowing folk are here can I ask you another question?!

A group of friends are coming to stay with us whilst we are in Cornwall. Would like to do something really fun with them.
Any ideas of what we could do with them?

zwiggy Fri 25-Jul-08 21:24:15

caerhayes - could be spelt wrong - nice sandy, car park, not too big not too small

also menabilly is gorgeous tiny little bay, you have a gorgeous little ( 6 mins) walk to the bay, need to watch the timing of tides though, don't go too late in the day

ChasingSquirrels Fri 25-Jul-08 21:25:32

what kind of thing bigbum?

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 21:28:14

LOL!

Something fun! Will have a little baby with us though but fun is the key!

TheOriginalXENA Fri 25-Jul-08 21:31:10

Just the one baby or other children? (am on the north coast of cornwall.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 25-Jul-08 21:31:59

I was at the bottom of the thread and couldnt remember the exact spelling, then posted and thought "god that might be seen as really rude", so glad of the LOL!.
Depends what you see as fun, there are some lovely gardens, few theme parks, beach days, fish restaurants, Eden.....

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 21:32:18

One baby and two other children. Not sure of ages, roughly 10ish

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 21:35:16

Think the older children might get bored of the garden's.
I can't do rollerocasters, even though everyone else probably would love it!
We all in our twenties if that helps at all.
Would like recommendations of nice restaurants as well if possible!

ChasingSquirrels Fri 25-Jul-08 21:40:46

yup, posted the gardens before seeing the older children.
I'm not big on food, so wouldn't be the person for restaurant recommendations.
You need someone with 10yo's...

Surfermum Fri 25-Jul-08 21:50:04

What about cycling the Camel Trail? When I've done it I've gone from Padstow to Wadebridge and back, but there are bike hire places at both ends AFAIK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now